The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What guitarists from a bygone era have you stumbled onto, that made you think "This player is great! Why have I never heard about them, or listened to them before"?

I imagine many will be jazz or blues players, but there will be pop players, session people, western swing, and the like, in there. Could be Charlie Byrd, or Howard Roberts, Tommy Tedesco, Hank Marvin, Hank Garland, Dave Davies, Oscar Moore, Lonnie Johnson, Grant Green, T-Bone Walker. Folks whose playing is refreshingly different from the current scene, but arrestingly tasteful and original nonetheless.

Start naming names.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Nope.

Edit: well perhaps I was too flip. While I enjoy the writing of guys like Pete Townshend, the Stones etc, i wouldn't call them great guitarists. And I'm not a blues guy, so not much left.

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
I'm not into the Dead at all, but when I watched the recent docu on Bob Weir it was very interesting learning about his playing/style. Nice long show, had lots of it and was entertaining. Didn't really make me want to explore a bunch more, but it was a minor discovery...I mean, I knew who he was and what band he was in, just nothing else.

As he is alive and active, I suppose that's not really bygone era necessarily.

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
Embarrassed to say it now, but .......

Jimi Hendrix

I heard him in the late 60s and 70s but didn't get him till the 90s. And the more I try and play (and in some cases, play and sing) his stuff, the more I get him. Just f'ing wow!

Also, a certain Mr. Harrison. Always thought he was pretty light-weight compared to Page, Howe, May, Gilmour, Blackmore, et al. But not so much anymore. Very inventive and talented player.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Embarrassed to say it now, but .......

Jimi Hendrix

I heard him in the late 60s and 70s but didn't get him till the 90s. And the more I try and play (and in some cases, play and sing) his stuff, the more I get him. Just f'ing wow!

Also, a certain Mr. Harrison. Always thought he was pretty light-weight compared to Page, Howe, May, Gilmour, Blackmore, et al. But not so much anymore. Very inventive and talented player.
Ooohhh....Brian may, does he count? If so, then him.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Peter Green...Black Magic Woman, Albatross, Man of the World, Green Manalishi and other tunes you can find with online playlists. It took me a long time to discover the blues but I really enjoy his playing.

·
Premium Member
10,935 Posts
Thank God for Guitar Player Magazine in the early '70s, it was a wealth of information. If it didn't directly interview someone or write an article about someone, that someone would be mentioned by the interviewee or article subject.

Danny Gatton I guess. I'd heard his name and my older brother was a fan but I totally didn't take it seriously, but holy crow!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Wes Montgomery, extraordinary guitar style, there are many more it's just that Montgomery really sticks out in my mind.

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
A lot of the old blues guys--especially those that weren't around anymore when I discovered them.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Lenny Breau. You might want to skip to 2:25 to get past the intro.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I think Arthur Lee is kind of under the radar as far as '60's stuff goes.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Brent Mason would be one fine guitarist that i only herd of about 3-5 years ago. There must be others but cant think of any

·
Registered
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Lenny Breau. You might want to skip to 2:25 to get past the intro.

I had the pleasure of seeing Lenny Breau up close in 1971 at the now-defunct Le Hibou coffee house in Ottawa. He was playing one of those butt-ugly Baldwin guitars, but he made it sound amazing. I seem to recall he was playing with a trio, although the drummer used brushes most of the set.

And a funny guy, to boot, who could play against type, for laughs. I may have mentioned this before, but he introduced a sentimental ballad and after a wonderfully melodic intro of the sort you'd expect Joe Pass to play, he crooned in his whispery sincere voice: "You're much...too beautiful...for one man....alone, ....so I brought....my brother".

He was also a regular in the house band on the Thursday episodes of CBC's afternoon "youth-oriented" hit parade show from Winnipeg - Music Hop. I always loved listening to the guy on the tall stool with the goofy grin and the amazing licks.

If the bio you linked to wasn't enough here is Lenny Breau playing with Danny Gatton and Buddy Emmons on steel. Talk about a supergroup!
Okay, just one more. I've always loved this contemporary jazz/funk standard and Breau does it justice, in tandem with Buddy Emmons. Just about the bluesiest chicken-picken you've ever heard.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts