• Over an hour everyday

Votes: 74 34.1%
  • Insane amount of hours everyday

Votes: 9 4.1%
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Weird - I just made a huge post in another forum about this very topic. Since I'm apparenly the first to see this I'll get the ball rolling with a big tirade :zzz:

I'm back on the regular practicing routine for the first time in . . . . well an awfully long time. I finally got to the point where I figured that I'm tired of sucking at the guitar after playing on and off for a few decades and that if I can't stop this obsession of mine with the instrument then I might as well do something productive about it. Perhaps the best lesson I've learned recently is that to really progress you have to take the time to make sure you have mastered a skill before moving on. I've spent the last 2-3 weeks focusing on learning scales in various positions at slow speeds so I can attempt to perfect my technique. I've also been working on learning the major, minor, diminished and augmented triads in all 4 3-string groupings along with the first and second inversions. Is it boring - somewhat, but when I find I'm really losing focus I move on to some noodling and whatever else I feel like playing at the time. I actually enjoy practicing more now that I have in the past because I can feel that I'm making progress and working towards a greater understanding of the instrument instead of 'just' learning tunes. By this I certainly don't mean to belittle the importance of learning tunes as much as state that the material I'm working on is really helpful in speeding that process along and, at least in my case, really needs to be worked on.

To get back to the original question, I'm generally spending about 1-2 hours on as many days as I can working on scales, triads and related etudes for up to an hour and then noodling afterwards until I have to either go to bed or help out with family obligations.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Umm, hate to be a poopyhead spelling & definition cop, but "regiment" is a grouping of military personnel smaller than a division....

I think the word is "regimen", although strictly speaking it's a medical term to do with diet.

There, I'll shut up now.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mandocaster said:
Umm, hate to be a poopyhead spelling & definition cop, but "regiment" is a grouping of military personnel smaller than a division....

I think the word is "regimen", although strictly speaking it's a medical term to do with diet.

There, I'll shut up now.
Typo yes, definition no.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/regimen

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Not sure I'd always call it practice, but I tend to sit down with a guitar or bass for a couple hours a day. Most of my time is spent with the recorder running so there's not much scale theory or anything going on, but plenty of time spent with guitars in different tuning working on chord progressions and all those other things that lead to developing songs... Or trying to...

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I don't really 'practice' anymore.

When I was younger I took conservatory lessons, practiced scales and technique for countless hours on end ant took the whole thing quite seriously.

Now I just play, noodle around, relieve stress and have fun. I play simpler, sloppier and louder with more emphasis on the sounds coming out of my guitar than the actual musical value that it has. I like to play wang guitar more than anything, and it doesn't really require that much practice.:eek:

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
A practice who-what-when-where????? Does this include noodling ????

·
Registered
7 Posts
I generally spend 3 or so hours a day practicing, and a 1-2 hours jamming to backing tracks and writing music. That on top of school, homework and my friends always wanting to play games with me over the internet, I'm pretty busy, but it's worth it. On weekends, the practicing is usually the same, if I'm doing something that day, but if I'm not, it's usually 5 hours practicing and 2-3 hours jamming/writing.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would say easily over 1 hour a day...more like 2 or 3...
and have been steady for the last 3 years or so...
most of it playing for the furniture....

Auger

·
Registered
208 Posts
Being a pro at crastinating, it takes me a while to get started, but then I get lost in the time spent. A few hours later I snap out of it with a bunch of new muscle memory. The advent of MIDI was best thing in the world....a metronome that actually plays something. You can build precision at a snail's pace then speed it up 10 BPM at a time until you can blaze....

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
mandocaster said:
The advent of MIDI was best thing in the world....a metronome that actually plays something. You can build precision at a snail's pace then speed it up 10 BPM at a time until you can blaze....
Ya know its funny, but I just bought a metrnome this weekend even though I have Cakewalk right here at my finger tips with tons of drum patterns. Why . . .?

1.) I spend way too much time on the computer as is. When I want to relax, practice, etc, I don't want to be stuck in front of the computer again.

2.) When I play with midi tracks I get tempted to use a full drum beat and the next thing you know I am playing rather than practising.

There is just something nice about the metronome's simplicity: turn it on, turn the dial, practice.

TG

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's become a real habit for me, I have to have the guitar in my hands while I'm watching TV. I do spend alot of time mapping new concepts on paper. Then when I'm sitting watching TV I'm going over the fretboard maps for riffs, chords, etc.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I find that and hour with the TV on is equivalent to about 5 minutes with it off. TV is just a distraction and I find real practice involves concentration.

TG

Warren said:
It's become a real habit for me, I have to have the guitar in my hands while I'm watching TV. I do spend alot of time mapping new concepts on paper. Then when I'm sitting watching TV I'm going over the fretboard maps for riffs, chords, etc.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
No less than 5 hours a day... if I can't make atleast 5 hours I don't sleep until I do (true story). I usually work in about 7-11 though... what can I say? I want to be good.

I leave the TV on while I practice, not to watch but because there will be distractions playing live, so I'm trying to learn not to get bothered by them. Now I can play while my brother is downstairs screaming or when people are hammerin' fixin' the house, hah.

·
Registered
183 Posts
traynor_garnet said:
I find that and hour with the TV on is equivalent to about 5 minutes with it off. TV is just a distraction and I find real practice involves concentration.

TG
You're right, I wouldn't recommend practicing in front of the TV, but, for me, it works. Being the oldest of a large busy family growing up and now with 2 young boys I never got or get 5 minutes without distraction (but, I wouldn't want to change that) so I'm quite happy about the fact that I've developed the ability to sort of semi-tune out and concentrate on what I'm doing.

·
Registered
183 Posts
violation said:
I leave the TV on while I practice, not to watch but because there will be distractions playing live, so I'm trying to learn not to get bothered by them. Now I can play while my brother is downstairs screaming or when people are hammerin' fixin' the house, hah.
My experience totally, except, I don't find it helps for playing live, playing live is a totally different distraction.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts