The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
What I would like is a Peters practice amp. :D :D 5-10 watts, 10" speaker, maybe the RamRod from Eminence. Master Volume, with a gain, treble and bass controls nothing more. Heck, I'd help fund the research and take the first mutt. Anyone else in?
If you mean something like an Electar Tube 10, or Epiphone Galaxy 10, I see no point in making it. It's been done, and there's no way I can compete in a lower-end price point market. I'm barely able to compete where I am as it is.

Anyway 5W-10W is not suitable for most of my designs, because of the lack of headroom alone. The higher gain designs just can't do what they're supposed to with that low headroom, the clean designs don't have enough power for most jamming situations, and the medium gain designs don't show their strengths nearly as well as they should. I'd also like to remind you that small combo amps simply don't sound right for the designs I make--they cannot not do them justice. If I've ever heard a small combo that actually sounds great, I might be more inclined to change my mind, but out of all the amps I've tried I haven't heard one yet.

Beyond that, my 20W class AB designs sound more "full" and "deep" than the 10W amps ever did, have extremely useful master volumes, and also have "low power" options which (if you really want to) will lower the headroom. My current class AB amps also allow for very useful features which the lower powered designs simply couldn't.

If you want a "Peters practise amp", look into the 20W Custom Dual Channel amps. Or perhaps even a 50W Custom Dual Channel, since it will still sound excellent at low volumes but also keep up with most "100W" amps in jamming situations. And if you don't believe me, you live in Calgary so you can come try one. :p

· Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
JamesPeters said:
If you mean something like an Electar Tube 10, or Epiphone Galaxy 10, I see no point in making it. It's been done, and there's no way I can compete in a lower-end price point market. I'm barely able to compete where I am as it is.

Anyway 5W-10W is not suitable for most of my designs, because of the lack of headroom alone. The higher gain designs just can't do what they're supposed to with that low headroom, the clean designs don't have enough power for most jamming situations, and the medium gain designs don't show their strengths nearly as well as they should. I'd also like to remind you that small combo amps simply don't sound right for the designs I make--they cannot not do them justice. If I've ever heard a small combo that actually sounds great, I might be more inclined to change my mind, but out of all the amps I've tried I haven't heard one yet.

Beyond that, my 20W class AB designs sound more "full" and "deep" than the 10W amps ever did, have extremely useful master volumes, and also have "low power" options which (if you really want to) will lower the headroom. My current class AB amps also allow for very useful features which the lower powered designs simply couldn't.

If you want a "Peters practise amp", look into the 20W Custom Dual Channel amps. Or perhaps even a 50W Custom Dual Channel, since it will still sound excellent at low volumes but also keep up with most "100W" amps in jamming situations. And if you don't believe me, you live in Calgary so you can come try one. :p
I wasn't thinking in that price point. More along the lines of $800-1000CDN. Competing with the the Nova, MiniCat and Mini Z. A little more umph though. God, I hope I never have to keep up with a 100W in a jam, that's just wrong.

· Registered
98 Posts
teleman said:
James,

I'm getting off topic here, but I was wondering if you build anything that sonically resembles a Marshall 1974X? I recently tried one of those little 18-watters and its a sweet, sweet amp. Very pricey though.
Sorry, I don't make clones. I have too much respect for the other amp companies to do that, and when "it's been done" there's no point in my doing it anyway. Just so you know, if I made something like that, it wouldn't be less expensive. Especially in a case like this where I'd have to make a combo enclosure for it, buy a speaker (which I get no deals on) and so forth.

· Registered
98 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
I wasn't thinking in that price point. More along the lines of $800-1000CDN. Competing with the the Nova, MiniCat and Mini Z. A little more umph though. God, I hope I never have to keep up with a 100W in a jam, that's just wrong.
That's too low a price point for me to make any combo amp, unless I were to really cheap out and then what's the point.

As it is, I don't really like the Mini Z, MiniCat and so forth. (Not that I'm saying "they're bad amps", but follow me on this...) I don't want to have something out there that I don't feel comfortable having my name on. I fought an uphill battle as it was to discontinue the 10W designs, because people didn't believe me that the class AB designs were better. As soon as the class AB designs got around to the tonefests (instead of the 10W amps for a change), suddenly people were all "Whoa, who's this Peters Amps guy?!?!?" After that, there was a huge difference in how people saw me and my products. I'm never going back.

· Registered
98 Posts
teleman said:
Not looking for a clone. Just something in the same sonic neighborhood.

That's too bad. I'd love to find a Marshall-ish 18-watt amp for around $1,500. I may have to try building one myself.
I don't make non-master amps too, as a general guideline (not so much a strict rule). My strengths have been in making amps with good master volume controls, so I don't see any point in straying from that. As such you might think what I'd build wouldn't be close enough to sound like that amp.

$1500 CAN is too low for me to build a combo like that. I sold single-channel amps for $1700 (USD) which weren't combos.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Hey all, I'm new here. I recognize some of you gear mongers for The Gear Page

Nice to have a canadian version!

I practice with my gigging rigs... :D

I have an old Yamaha TS 50 for practice. It is a mean little bugger but I don't plug into it too much.

Hey Mr. Flowerday, did you sell your Fuchs? I was very tempted:eek:

· Premium Member
13,493 Posts
I still like my Line 6 Guitarport. No one bothers me and I don't bother them. In addition, I dont have to spend on $$$$$$$$ on amps and cabs and find out I dont' like them. I can focus better on eventutally on what I want to get.

· Registered
5,659 Posts
...my girlfriend got me a vox da5 for christmas.

quite an amazing little amp for late night, bedroom playing/writing as well as rehearsals with no vocal mics.

i especially love that it has tap tempo for most of the effects.

-david
toronto

· Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, those Peavey solid state amps are much better than people give them credit for... The Bandit and Studio Pro actually have some pretty nice tones in them overall and pack enough punch for the odd jam, while the Rage and the Blazer are great beginner amps.

· Registered
2 Posts
THIS JUST IN...

My new "practise amp" is on it's way... Just scored a Triple XXX for $600 US, gotta find a cabinet now! No more trying to fix this little AVT20. Cute, sounded good, but now I'm packing HALF STACK POWAHHH!

· Registered
5,659 Posts
marshallman said:
Roland microcube is the way to go for "practicing". I've had one for about a year, and the sounds you get out of this little box is amazing. Runs on batteries too, if you want to take it outside or something.
Check out this demo, click the video too :
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=594&ParentId=57
...to many, including yours truly, the tiny vox da-5 is far superior. it doesn't "fart out", and has a built-in tap tempo. for me, it is the single most inspiring piece of equipment i have ever owned. try it on the cleanest setting with the gain dimed and a touch of reverb - heavenly!

-dh

· Premium Member
15,768 Posts
I fire this little Marshall up a lot for fooling around. It has really nice sound to it.

Lead 15, 15 Watt Micro Stack

* 15 Watts of Marshall Power
* Designed by the Valvestate team
* Twin Gain Controls for maximum preamp flexibility
* Controls for Bass, Treble, and Contour for maximum tonal flexibility
* Master Volume control
* Spring Reverb
* Headphone jack which mutes loud speakers
* CD input
* Line Out jack
* Two 1x10” cabinets – 1 angled, 1 straight
* Custom voiced speakers
* Has an incredible low end

· Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Yeah, I have a GDEC. It's got a lot of nice practice features like backing tracks that you can mod with tempo, key, etc..., and the ability to download/upload patches. But with the stock speaker it sounds like crap. There are a lot tweaks and mods for these amps on various forums. As a practice tool it is great. As an amp, it's not so good.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.