The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everyone using?

I've got two:

-Tweed champ clone that I built. It's in a tweed Princeton cab with a Weber 10A125 speaker. I've tweeked the circuit a bit to brighten it up. Tweed champs are pretty dark by nature.

- Bad Cat Mini Cat II. She's a master volume single ended monster. 1 El84 with 2 12AX7s putting out maybe 5 watts. I've put one of my early 70s G12H30s in it. You can get some good gain at liveable volumes.

·
Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Well I have a Fender Frontman, but I don't use it as a practice amp. I use it to drive a Heil Sound talk box.

For practice I use the Vox Tonelab SE and a pair of nice studio headphones.

Sounds great and doesn't bother anyone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I usually don't use a practice amp. I just play unplugged.

That being said, I'm thinking about getting a Tech21 TM10 or a Roland Microcube.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a peavy rage 158 that is crap and I don't use. I also have a marshall solidstate practise amp that I use sometimes. My main amp i use is a crate V series 50 watt tube amp. Beautiful cleans, distortion is great too. SOunds awsome with my les paul and prs cu 24

·
Registered
166 Posts
That is the one. IT's crap for an experienced guitar player but a great practise/starter amp for a beginner. Everything works perfectly and IM sellin it for 50$ YA can't go wrong if your starting out and need a little amp to learn on. The tone isn't exactly the greatest especially after you have been playing for a long time. You learn to like a better sound then this little peavy can provide.

·
Registered
93 Posts
imbackagain2 said:
That is the one. IT's crap for an experienced guitar player but a great practise/starter amp for a beginner.
For a small/inexpensive practise amp, I'd say it's pretty good actually. It's far better than a lot of other amps of that size. When it was first released people were buying them like hotcakes. I'm sure it still sells a lot.

·
Registered
132 Posts
POD and some headphones or monitors works fine for me currenly. A little low wattage tube combo of some sort would be wicked someday though. ;)

- Sacha

ENDITOL

DIVINITY

·
Registered
874 Posts
I use a Roland cube 60 for practise and a Crate VFX 5112 for my main rig, same as imbackagain2....nice amp.

Tarl

·
Registered
166 Posts
JamesPeters said:
For a small/inexpensive practise amp, I'd say it's pretty good actually. It's far better than a lot of other amps of that size. When it was first released people were buying them like hotcakes. I'm sure it still sells a lot.

So do you think I should raise my asking price of 50$

·
Premium Member
13,026 Posts
For practicing at home, which is the only place I play right now, I started using a Line 6 Guitar Port. All I really need is a better set of headphones. I have no effect on the world around me and the world doesn't bother me. I can play along with any backing track or CD I want. I already have a Sony Vaio desktop with a half decent sound card, so it's not too bad. When I'm not practicing, I love fooling around with the virtual amps, cabs and effects - good way to learn how these things work

·
Registered
14 Posts
JamesPeters said:
You won't need to. :cool:
Hehhe... well, I do want a little grab and go kind of practice amp. Not about to lug a head (no matter how elegantly designed) and cab for a bit of clam filled wankage. :D

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ClamBoy said:
Hehhe... well, I do want a little grab and go kind of practice amp. Not about to lug a head (no matter how elegantly designed) and cab for a bit of clam filled wankage. :D
What I would like is a Peters practice amp. :D :D 5-10 watts, 10" speaker, maybe the RamRod from Eminence. Master Volume, with a gain, treble and bass controls nothing more. Heck, I'd help fund the research and take the first mutt. Anyone else in?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts