The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The band I'm in we have an unpowered board with powered speakers. I'm considering buying my own monitor but having to buy a powered monitor was wondering if I would be able to use it on a powered board if I were to join a different band that had a powered board?

·
Premium Member
3,182 Posts
I have an older Yamaha powered board. It has a feature on it call "fold back" that actually needs powered monitors to work. Each channel can send a signal to the powered monitor so I guess my answer would be, depends on the powered board. I don't know if their all the same. Milkman were you are you?

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
Yes, any line-level out from the board will work. 'Monitor sends' are usually pre-fader line outs and 'fx sends' are usually post-fader - some are switchable. Either will work, with the proviso that with fx sends, your monitor level will change as someone moves the fader up or down.

A speaker level output will also work in a pinch if you don't have a line-level out, but proceed cautiously. Usually the voltage isn't that much higher on a speaker level out, but the impedance of the output is much, much lower so it will source current/power to a low impedance speaker. Line level inputs (like in an active monitor) are high impedance so they won't 'absorb' power, they will just use the voltage without drawing much current. As long as the input of the monitor has a wide enough range of level and will handle the higher voltage, it will work. And this can be in parallel with a driven speaker, which will see the same voltage but sink current due to it's much lower impedance.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Exactly as above - most powerred boards have the amp only for the main outs not the monitors (but some might have an amp for the monitos).

Additionally, many powered speakers have a passive line in as well; check before buying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts