The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
LsL Saticoy One, Suhr Alt T Pro, Suhr Strat, Knaggs Choptank, Fender CS Tele
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I've got the flexibility of different power amp tubes in my Suhr PT100 head. I purchased a matched set of KT88 tubes, a set of EL84 tubes, and a set of Mullard EL34 replacements. I got the technical specs from Suhr to do the biasing. What I'm looking for is info on characteristics of these tubes. I've watched the YouTube vids and read all the forums I could. I guess I could just change them out, re-bias the amp and let me ears be my guide, but there's a lot of experience on here. The KT88 tubes have me intrigued, I think the changes from what I've read are what I'm looking for. Any comments or advice here?

·
Premium Member
8,686 Posts
Well, EL84's are a different form factor, and completely different bias range than an EL34//KT77/KT88/6550/6L6 etc.

ALL STATEMENTS BELOW ARE GENERALIZATIONS FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE YOURS MAY DIFFER YMMV ETC ETC

EL34's generally overdrive sooner, sweeter crunchier mids, can be light in bottom
KT77 very similar to EL34 but have bigger but not obtuse bottom (loved them in my Dual Rec)
6L6 generally cleaner, crisper top and bottom
6550 6L6 on steroids, many big tube bass amps use them
KT88 very high power handling - my Fryette SigX was 2 KT88's for an alleged 90 watts. Nice full range with a big but not loose bottom. Takes some serious heat/power/volume to get them to overdrive on their own. Taken another way, I am saying they have headroom for days. Not saying this about every set, but my amp was over 10 years old and the KT88's were original and not showing any sign of decline. Obviously a tube failure can come out of the blue, but most KT88's have a good rep for durability

Different brands or manufacturers within a tube range may have tubes with different characteristics than another maker's, ie., not all EL34's sound the same.

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
According to the website is uses 4 EL84 power tubes which I do not think are compatible with any other power tube without some sort of adapter

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
According to the website is uses 4 EL84 power tubes which I do not think are compatible with any other power tube without some sort of adapter
I think you read that wrong. It says 4 EL34's, but you are right they are not compatible with any other tube. They're a 9 pin not an octal. Voltages would be way too high too.

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
Well, I got it half right LOL. Although I may have posted it with my phone, so i can blame it on auto correct.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts