The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this Voodoo Lab power supply allows you to power other devices, like your amp. What other supplies have this?

voodoo-pp2-back.jpg

·
Registered
24,713 Posts
The "convenience outlet" is an increasingly rarer beast.

Keep in mind that some power bricks use a barrel jack for an external wallwart to power the brick. Using a 3-prong AC socket and cable requires room inside for the AC->DC conversion and step-down, making the brick necessarily larger and less pedal-board friendly.

That's not an argument for leaving such outlets out. Just an explanation for why you don't see them that often.

·
Registered
345 Posts
One other brick-type PSU brand that I can recall offering a courtesy AC outlet is Cioks. Some of their Professional Link series models (e.g. DC-8 Link, DC-10 Link and Overkill) have it.

None of my brick-type PSU (a Cioks AC-10 and a Truetone CS-12) came with a courtesy AC outlet. It could come in handy to plug a pedal that was built with a hard-wired AC cord, such as some of the vintage EHX pedals.

Come to think of it, one of my amps has an AC outlet on the back. I have this amp for more than 20 years and I don't recall ever using that outlet. I suppose I prefer wall AC outlets to courtesy AC outlets.

·
Registered
24,713 Posts
Convenience outlets on amps used to be a regular common thing. Less so these days. I wonder what manufacturers conceived of those outlets being used for. Sometimes, it was just to plug in another guitar amplifier because there weren't enough wall outlets.

·
Premium Member
17,192 Posts
D'addario now makes a Y cable that will send power to two different pieces of equipment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts