The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been touched on here already but I couldn't find an answer to my exact question. So I'm building a new board. That will have 4 pedals plus a line 6 dl4. I'm not try to be super cheap, just frugal. So what's my cheapest power supply option the dl4 says it requires 1200ma min. The rest are just your usual pedals. I've looked at the one spots but can't see anything that indicates one brick would have enough jam to power everything. Just seeing what you guys think. I don't wanna run Daisy chains or wall warts. I only wanna see two patch cords and a power cord coming off the side of my pedal board

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
The DL4 is AC power, not DC, so that's going to make things more complicated. Finding an isolated pedalboard power supply that does AC and DC with that much current is going to be tricky. Your best option would be a power supply for the other 4 pedals and then the brick for the DL4. But that's not very space or weight efficient.

Honestly, I'd recommend ditching the DL4. If you love the sounds, get the Line 6 M5 that has all the same delays, plus a few extra "Dry Thru" versions that don't alter the dry tone, plus a load of other effects. The M5 runs on 9V DC @ 500 mA. Or the Echo Park has some of the same sounds with even lower power requirements. And both are smaller than the DL4. Or there are tons of other delay pedals that you might find sound better than the DL4.

Hopefully this isn't coming across as DL4-bashing. I had a couple and they worked great. But their reliability isn't great (thus why I've had "a couple") and the sounds are "okay" compared to other modern delay pedals. I just don't think it's a pedal to build your entire board around.

·
Premium Member
16,825 Posts
There's power supplies that will power a DL4 + your other pedals, they're just the more expensive ones. Strymon, voodoo labs, CIOKS - they all do one.

Troy is definitely right about reliability of the DL4. I think my bandmate has bought 4 since I joined.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Cioks or ditch the DL4 - they always break (starting with those shit switches). Any extra a DL4 replacement will cost you (over what you'd get selling it) would easily be made up via power supply savings (e.g. buy a cheaper Cioks model).

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I'll poke my nose in here and point out that the DL4 can be run from a 12V, negative center DC supply without issue using a 2.5mm center pin, reverse polarity cable. L6 even sell a DC adapter for it, and it doesn't draw anywhere near 1200mA, more like 200mA.

·
Premium Member
16,825 Posts
I'll poke my nose in here and point out that the DL4 can be run from a 12V, negative center DC supply without issue using a 2.5mm center pin, reverse polarity cable. L6 even sell a DC adapter for it, and it doesn't draw anywhere near 1200mA, more like 200mA.
Where were you 4 years ago with this info haha.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys thanks so much for all the information. Your a good group of dudes. I like it here. Very minimal on the bullshit. But the bullshit is there when it's funny and for levity.

In regards to the DL4 ( regardless of what it says on the back) it's more then happy running off 9v DC I bought myself a very affordable 1 spot CS6 and plugged it into the 500ma spot. After Alot of reaserch line6 was blowing smoke up all our asses trying to make us drink their coolaid and buy propriatary products. However they included a bunch of fail-safes so it can run off around 300ma and 9V DC power.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
Pedal power supplies are such ripoffs. You could use a computer wart at 5amps with a 9v output and power a few boards. A 12v power supply at 3amps can be found for less than 80 bucks. Throw a buck converter in there and get anything between 9 and 18v. IIRC the t rex chameleon does 9v DC 12v ac and 12dc and 18dc.

Reactions: High/Deaf

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
9v DC
12v dc
12v ac
18v dc

If you want more 18v you can double up on the 9s with a special cord

Screenshot_20190119-085125.png

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
If all your pedals are 9v all you really need is one of these bricks and a daisy chain. It even has the proper adapter. 5 amps (5000mA) will power a ton of pedals. Price? 17.99 at Amazon. If this can power your computer it can power a few pedals cleanly. A Voodoo Labs 4x4 puts out 2 amps or 4 x 400 and 4 x 100 for only 200? You could add a DC buck converter and up that to 12 or 18v if required.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
Buck converter for 3 dollars Canadian. Input 4-40 V DC and set the output to anything between 1.3V and 37V . Swap the little potentiometer for a full size 10k ohm. First pic is the modified buck converter. Changed to mini pot which can be.mounted. Power supply is Omron 12v 2 amps, 2 outputs. Total price 70cdn. Pay 5 bucks for the buck converter and get a digital readout in volts.
20190119_093749.jpg
20190119_093820.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
The one pictured can adjust the Voltage and the Amperage. The small blue pot controls amperage. I didn't swap that pot out yet. You can use a multi-meter to read the outputs, or you can buy one with a readout built in. I'm currently making a Bench power supply. I'm using a 24V 5 amp power supply made by Sola. 2 channels @ 24V but shared 5 amps. So both channels will go to separate 5 amp fuses. Then each channel has a 6 amp buck converter. I will swap the little pots for multi turn pots by Bourns, then to separate digital readouts with Voltage and Amperage then to some external banana ports. Here's a sketch of the front panel which will be made with black pickguard material LOL . Top row left to right is fuse holder then banana ports then pots then voltage readout. for channel 1. Bottom is channel two left to right. Everything I bought is round so I can just drill holes. The box it is all going is is 1/2" plywood which I am going to vinyl wrap and a scotchbrighted pickguard for the front panel.

Attachments

Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
You don't have to swap pots. You can set and forget but for my project I want to be able to adjust to whatever I need. I only bought amperage adjustment for LED projects. If you wanted to make your own power supply for pedals you would only need one DC buck converter to drop the voltage to 9V. So with 2 channel power supply you could output 12v to 2 channels and use a buck converter on channel 2 to go to 9 or 18V. There is no rule saying how many wires you can put per channel so with a cheap 12V power supply snd 2 converters you could have 3 voltages all sharing 5 amps for about 30 bucks. One path for 12V one stepped down to 9V and another stepped up to 18V. All sharing 5 amps with no limit on how much per port like a pedal supply board. If your 12V pedal needs 2000mA you still have 3000ma for the 9V and 18V. And since a pedal only draws what it needs, hell you could buy 10 amp. Buck converters are about 1.5x2x,5 inches so you could make a tiny box to hide the PS and the bucks with 3 ports. 3 Daisy chains 3 voltages with the only limit being the maximum amperage of the PS. Here is my 12 V 3 amp power supply and 2 Buck converters. Pretty sure I could fit these in a 1590bb pedal box.
20190119_125915.jpg

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
Thanks for all the info and pics. Very interesting!
Extremely creative and logical for PSU's.

Good luck with your bench supply. Please considering posting some pics of the build here.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
I'm still waiting for my high amperage buck converters. I have no idea what these ones I have are rated at. Probably only 2 amps. 6 amps is overkill but they are 5 bucks each. Waiting for the pots and readouts as well. Looks like an amp head. Lol. It's about 5x5x14. I was practicing using my drawer lock router bit on my router table. This PS is much larger. I could have squeezed everything smaller but this is custom fit to go on my computer desk.

20190119_134102.jpg 20190119_133245.jpg 20190119_133302.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts