The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had a guitar lesson. I just kind of figured things out my own way.

Question!
When you play power chords do you use three fingers or two?

I use two.

If you use two do you use your first and third finger or your first and pinkie finger?

I use my first and pinkie finger.

Do I play weird?

It works for me.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I've never had a guitar lesson. I just kind of figured things out my own way.

Question!

I use two.

If you use two do you use your first and third finger or your first and pinkie finger?

I use my first and pinkie finger.

Do I play weird?

It works for me.
Same here. I play with all fingers when I want to articulate, and just index & pinky for speed. I have no reason why I use my pinky though, just fits.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
For me I have short sausage fingers. First finger and third is uncomfortable.
My fingers are pretty thick from being a mechanic for 20+ years. Must be a natural tendency. Pinky is just as thick as the rest...lol.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I use three fingers, unless I’m trying to add a note on top somewhere.

Pinky would squish things up a little too much for me.

·
Registered
14,546 Posts
I usually use three strings to get the octave in there.
Firs, third & fourth fingers--with the second one to mute if needed.

But sometimes I play a 2 string version--1st & 3rd fingers.
But if I am using 2 fingers it is likely I am playing 4ths--(or the top two strings of the three above--so an inverted 5th)

I learned them with three fingers & like them that way...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Technically speaking, they're two different chords as the "power" one is required to have the octane vs a regular 5th chord.
Even more technical is that neither should be considered a chord in the first place, as it's just an interval.... buuuut I'm going way off topic with this.
I almost exclusively use three fingers

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've never really thought about it.. but I think I pretty much just use whatever makes sense for the situation.. when there is no situation and it's just a chord progression then I just use whatever feels the most comfortable.. sometimes switching between index/ring and index/pinky depending on the position on the neck.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
Question!
I far prefer two as I can never seem to coordinate three fingers properly.

It depends. When playing further up the neck where frets are smaller it can be easier to use first and pinky because the pinky fits in more easily. Otherwise I tend to use first and ring fingers.

It works for me.

That is all that matters.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
as stated above, if it works for you, that is the important part.

sometimes i do it either way depending on my needs a the time. you may find though, at times, more strings will sound better than less. almost any chord, you can play just part of it to accent certain notes/get a different sound. as a side dish though, i would mention that i learned an important lesson on this forum, years ago.
when doing rhythm work, dial in the amount of gain you think you need, then dump 15-20% of it. chords will sound waaayyyy better.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I like to use 1, 3,4 with the Power chords on the A string string. That way it allows for an added 9th by fretting the e and b strings with the index finger along with the Root on the 5th string. A lot depends on where I am on the neck as well.

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
I use 1 and 3 for normal ones and 1-3-4 for if I need two octaves in the chord. I will also play parts that are 3 octaves of one note.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It really depends on the song. I will sometimes use the spider chord technique using 1st and 3rd then quick switch to 2nd and 4th. But mainly I use 1st and 2nd, or 1st and 3rd fingers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts