The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
17,603 Posts
Wild Bill said:
Tube amps as you know are a bit more fussy but even then a 2:1 mismatch shouldn't bother the tubes all that much, although the tone will change and you'll have to decide for yourself if you like it or even notice it.

Just FYI.

Wild Bill
David, sorry for the small hijack but I'm always confused by this stuff too.

Bill, if you think back to my concern with my Allen amp with the extension jack wired in series. Are you saying that if I add an 8 ohm cab to the combo, resulting in a total of 16 ohm load, I should still be OK with the ohm switch on the combo set @ 8 ohms? I only have a 4 or 8 ohm option on the combo.

· Premium Member
17,603 Posts
Wild Bill said:
Yeah, nothing's likely to blow up or anything. If you were to play the amp consistently at 8 or 9 the output tubes might lose a couple of months of life but that's about it.

I've forgotten our thread about your Allen amp. Is it like old Fenders, where you have a speaker and an extension speaker jack and just one speaker won't work if you plug it into the extension one? This arrangement works by putting any extension speaker in series with the regular speaker. That would make the speaker loads add up. If the jack is just an extra parallel connection and you can plug into either one this would put the loads in parallel and you divide the 8 ohms by the number of 8 ohm loads involved.

My memory worked fine before the kids came...
Yep, they're in series. Our other guitar player figures it would be a snap to rewire them in parallel so I might do that. That would give a 4 ohm load which the is switchable to. Thanks for the info.
Once the weather clears a bit I'll be bringing my Zinky down to you to see if you fix what a local "tech" did a year or so ago.

btw the Busen will be getting a work out at the Richmond Tavern this Saturday afternoon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.