The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent some time this morning installing new aftermarket pickups in a couple of Tele projects, Lollar Regals in a 72 RI and Reilander P90's in a standard MIM Tele. It seems that I'm short a few pots so I was going to order a couple of sets. My quick bit of research has led me down the path of 1 Meg audio taper for the Regals with a 0.022 orange cap and 500K audio with a 0.022 orange cap for the P90's. I just wanted some feedback and a second opinion before placing the order. Also, I was going to try out Emerson instead of my usual CTS.

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RS Guitarworks Super Pots for the volume controls provide an extremely usable taper.

IIRC 1 Meg is correct for WRHBs but P-90s often had 300k.
I'll give the Super Pots a look, all I've been using to this point is CTS stuff but the tolerances are getting out of hand.

I thought about getting the 300k but it seems like many folks still prefer and push the 500 so I'll probably go that way. It's seems the 300 are getting some not so positive feedback.

Any suggestions on cap values, 0.022 is probably fine? Right?

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
AFAIK RS Super Pots are CTS with very tight tolerances. Whatever they are, you can hear the difference between 10-9-8-7-6 etc.

It seems like most vintage Jrs. had 500k volume, 250k tone & an .022 uf cap. This being said, I would buy an assortment & experiment.

·
Premium Member
19,099 Posts
It seems like most vintage Jrs. had 500k volume, 250k tone & an .022 uf cap. This being said, I would buy an assortment & experiment.
I second @Roryfan 's suggestion. Pots are not expensive and caps (especially mylar) are very cheap. If your supplier only sells the typical 0.022, 0.047 uF remember that you can put them in parallel and series to get different values. The 'formula' for caps in series and parallel is OPPOSITE to resistors.

·
Registered
871 Posts
As the Regals are not 'true' WRHBs, I'd start out with 500K volume and tone. I have a Brandon Woound rebuild in my Custom and use a 500K (measured @ 530K) RS Superpot and a 500K (measured) CTS no-load tone pot and that works for me.

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As the Regals are not 'true' WRHBs, I'd start out with 500K volume and tone. I have a Brandon Woound rebuild in my Custom and use a 500K (measured @ 530K) RS Superpot and a 500K (measured) CTS no-load tone pot and that works for me.
This is a good point, I didn't consider it. 1meg vs 500k and Lollars vs originals. I got my info off the Telenator site and I think they're a but more authentic to the originals. I'll check with Lollar on Monday morning to see what they recommend.

·
Premium Member
5,486 Posts
my les paul junior cap is .0060, i found the stock .015 to be too dark. Also makes the p90 sound a bit thicker when pot is wide open.

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I've got a pile of pots that just arrived today, 250 to 1 meg. I know I'm going with 500 in the p90 Tele. What should I start with in the wide range? 500 or 1 meg? I'm thinking 500 should be good and the 1 meg I bought just as a back up.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Maybe too late to the party but...

If you use jumpers with alligator clips you can swap out caps and pots on the fly while listening through your amp. You need to set up something to mute your guitar signal when you swap a component, (a tuner pedal / put the amp on standby). Use a bit of masking tape to take the strain off of wires if necessary.

If your tele has the standard control plate, setting this up is very easy.

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I ended up throwing the 500K (495&498 according to the meter) with a 0.022 cap on the wide range buckers. I'm very happy with the result. I don't think I need to try the 1meg, I'm happy with as is.

The p90's sound nicer with 500K pots as well. Rewired a couple of guitars this weekend and tweaked some pickup heights and pole pieces. Worked out nicely.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Sounds like you have it sorted.

Short story:
I picked up an Esquire a while back with an Antiquity in the bridge. Sounds amazing, has it's own thing going on compared to my other teles. Extra bold and amazingly funky.

A couple months went by before I had a look in the control cavity. I was surprised to find the Esquire has a 1 Meg pot for the Volume.
I had always imagined 1 Meg would be way too bright and ice picky for a tele bridge. Not so. In this case, it's perfect.

·
Premium Member
5,486 Posts
I'm using 500 meg and a. 0068 uf cap. Nice and bright but not muddy as shit when you turn the tone pot down

·
Premium Member
5,486 Posts
Most p90 come with .015uf I went with 6800pf. Huge difference

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Most p90 come with .015uf I went with 6800pf. Huge difference
In all the reading I did in prep for this mod I didn't once come across either of those values used with p90's. If it works and you're happy, good. I do like the .022 and when you roll it back with a fuzz engaged it gives a huge sounding thick sustain tone that is fun to goof with.

·
Premium Member
5,486 Posts
Do you roll it all the way back to 0? If not, you don't need. 022. My junior came stock with a .015. Too dark when the tone pot was at zero. Sorry, I should say, too dark for me. Plus smaller cap values tend to thicken up the sound a bit. More people should watch the Lindy Fralin cap value video. Everyone has. 022 and. 047 stuck in their heads for single coil and humbucker which makes no sense to me. And to add p90 to that list is just weird. 3 completely different style pickups, which can go in any of 3 positions on a guitar but only 2 cap values are used. Laziness on the manufacturers part

Best capacitor video out there

Reactions: bigboki

·
Premium Member
27,284 Posts
I was "improving" a Samick that I'm getting ready for sale. Both single-coil pickups seemed way too bright. They sound nice when neck and bridge are both on, but alone they fit the descriptor "brittle-sounding". As luck would have it, the pickup selector switch offers an interesting out. It allows me to connect a tone-shaping cap for each pickup, separately. I used a .018uf along with the 250k Tone pot, but wired up a 3300pf cap to ground for the neck pickup, and 2200pf for the bridge. When the neck OR bridge pickups are on, those "default" caps are shunting select top-end to ground, regardless of where the Tone control is set, yielding a less harsh "rounder" tone. The tone pot simply adds to that treble-bleed. At maximum treble-cut, the 3300pf and .018uf sum, resulting in just under .022uf. For the bridge pickup, full cut and the default cap sum to .020uf, approximately.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts