The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has built a '59 LP Standard. We are wondering what the correct specs for the 4 pots (2 vol 2 tone) would be. We are looking for the correct ohms, tapers and ratios please.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Not the same as the originals, but consider the 500k pots that the Gibson Historic Les Pauls ship with as an accessible option...

Gibson - Historic Potentiometer 500K Taper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Thanks. I was hoping for a little more detail. Good to know L & M has those for sale.
Look up the specs for the reissues, or Google “Centralab potentiometer” for a million discussions on the topic.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Just watching the Gibson NAMM videos and Gibson is saying the 2019 Historics are going to have the most accurate Pots to the Vintage Centralabs so you might want to see if you can get your hand's on these new versions.. For specs, they are 500k Audio Taper pots.. If your buddy built his guitar to real 59 specs then he will need the short shaft versions.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My buddy and I read about 200 posts about Centralab pot replacements and these are on top for sure, price and quality etc. The only thing that is perhaps a challenger is Gibson announced a new historic pot for 2019 at NAMM and it may be as good, maybe not. We priced 2 sets of 4 short shaft VIPots with 2 sets of 2 caps at $170 CAD shipped. So that's $85 CAD each set. One for his guitar and now a set for my SG.

This a link to the thread:
Which new pots most like a vintage centralab?

·
Registered
460 Posts
That's as insane as paying big $$ to have a truss rod cover made from the same kind of plastic they used in 1959.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's as insane as paying big $$ to have a truss rod cover made from the same kind of plastic they used in 1959.
If you read the thread I linked to, the old Centralab pots will apparently improve tone, taper and clarity.

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you read the thread I linked to, the old Centralab pots will apparently improve tone, taper and clarity.
Yeah, because a pot made in 1959 as compared to today is gonna have such a tonal and taper difference that anyone listening is going to run up to you and say "Hey, that tone is incredible! And the way the pots respond when you roll back the volume from 9 to 7..... You must be using vintage pots!!!"

I don't begrudge guys (in any hobby) doing mods but don't delude yourself that this is a tone thing. It's satisfying a personal need to feel good. It's like a vintage Mustang guy buying NOS spark plugs from 1965 as opposed to plugs from today. It makes him feel good.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will let you guys know. I ordered 2 sets of 4 with the 2 caps for each.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
With a 550K +/- 15% per Centralab, yeah its average pot spec will have less effect to dumb down the highs for a humbucker as a 500K +/- 20% that you get generically, which can ship at 400K to 600K. Centralab makes good stuff, but I wonder why not just get a 10% pot.

Plus Minus
550 632.5 467.5
500 600 400

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK I put the pots and the oil and paper caps in. It definitely does change the sound. They give more and clearer highs, and more bassy growly low end.
But I don't like the change. I took photos of the originals and will change them back. My buddy who has the custom build '59 LP loves them. He is really really happy with the change it made with his guitar.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Update: After about 3 short playing sessions I swapped my old pots and caps back into the guitar, and I got my mojo back.

I like the VIPots, but they changed my tone. They did what they said they would do. A specific taper, torque and smoothness. I got clearer highs, a little more output, and the guitar was quite growly. A touch boomy at the open low E string. My buddy has found what he was looking for in them. He has paired them up in his '59 LP copy with some Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups. Nice match. My guitar sounded great with them, but different. I just really love my guitar exactly as it is.

This wiring is the way I got the guitar. The guitar was an old robot that someone converted to a regular non robot guitar. The wiring is messy, and I was able to return it to this exact messy wiring again. The guitar sounds as it should.

SG Gut_Shot_1.jpg

·
Premium Member
17,335 Posts
The wiring is messy, and I was able to return it to this exact messy wiring again.
Any reason as to why you would make such an effort to maintain/"return it to"
the exact messy wiring? Is that just a joke or were you worried that a change (i.e., more "tidy") in the wiring might influence the tone of the guitar?
BTW..It really doesn't seem all that messy to me.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any reason as to why you would make such an effort to maintain/"return it to"
the exact messy wiring? Is that just a joke or were you worried that a change (i.e., more "tidy") in the wiring might influence the tone of the guitar?
BTW..It really doesn't seem all that messy to me.
It was easiest, and yes, I wanted my guitar exactly the way it was...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts