The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have spent a lot of time, consultation and thought, designing a general purpose poster for my band. Yesterday, one member criticised the design, saying the print was too small and the graphic too big and I needed to change them. He wasn't gentle about it and my response wasn't gentle either and we parted with both of us pissed off.

Having said that, I'm not sure how useful posters are for promoting bar/restaurant gigs. I usually get a few printed tabloid size and put one in the bakery and give a few to the venue to put up where they see fit. I don't put them up at the no frills or metro or any of the usual places because I don't see people being swayed to attend a bar based on some piece of paper stuck up beside "babysitter available" and "like-new refrigerator, you pick up" ads. I do put them on facebook and they always get a couple of dozen likes that may or may not lead to bums in seats and beers in hands.

Here are two examples. Same basic grid, but different graphics --either the dancing Fred Astaire or one of several sheet music covers -- for different gigs. I'm working on getting good photos of the band and will incorporate them when they're available. My intent generally is to provide an attention-getting graphic that reflects who we are and what we play and put the textual info below.

Poster Font Happy Logo Illustration

Font Advertising Automotive wheel system Circle Audio equipment

Your thoughts on posters in general?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both of your examples are appealing to me and the message is jazz music for grownups.

Anywhere the over 60 appreciative crowd frequent...shoppers, library,...

The posters are tasteful and not "too busy" to my eye and mind
Thank you. And yes, "too busy" is something I try to avoid.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
What type of band is it? The posters don't show me what's being offered. Is it a musical? A play? Is there a drummer? A guitar player?
Having Jazz twice in the name certainly suggests to me what type of band it is. It also indicates just two musicians so I would normally rule out a drummer in that case. That's my take on it, however I could be wrong...

·
Monster Replier
'97 Strat Plus, 70's Northern Strat Copy
2,692 Posts
I have spent a lot of time consultation and thought, designing a general purpose poster for my band. Yesterday, the drummer criticised the design, saying the print was too small and the graphic too big and I needed to change them. He wasn't gentle about it and my response wasn't gentle either and we parted with both of us pissed off.

Having said that, I'm not sure how useful posters are for promoting bar/restaurant gigs. I usually get a few printed tabloid size and put one in the bakery and give a few to the venue to put up where they see fit. I don't put them up at the no frills or metro or any of the usual places because I don't see people being swayed to attend a bar based on some piece of paper stuck up beside "babysitter available" and "like-new refrigerator, you pick up" ads. I do put them on facebook and they always get a couple of dozen likes that may or may not lead to bums in seats and beers in hands.

Here are two examples. Same basic grid, but different graphics --either the dancing Fred Astaire or one of several sheet music covers -- for different gigs. I'm working on getting good photos of the band and will incorporate them when they're available. My intent generally is to provide an attention-getting graphic that reflects who we are and what we play and put the textual info below.

View attachment 418234

View attachment 418235

Your thoughts on posters in general?
You should just try putting his name first in your "tiny font" :) and then I bet he loves it 🤣

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
They look good to my eyes. Are you the bandleader?

To me, posters seem to have out lived their usefulness, especially for one-off events. Putting some up in the venue probably has value - tent cards on tables are probably more effective in a foodservice venue.

Your rant triggered a memory: I wrote up copy for an event and sent it to everyone in the band for feedback, which was all positive and then just days before the event, one of our members finally took the time to read it and felt that it really needed to be changed despite his earlier approval. It was all quite civil, we got past it, and are still friends, but yes, being a solo act has it's merits. :D

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I like the 2 designs, simple always wins in my book on many levels. Though I agree the underlying font could use a subtle enlargement.

But it's possible the band 'consultation' part of this effort may not be enough. Criticisms aren't much use unless the opposing party can contribute an example of what they want.

·
Premium Member
13,177 Posts
I think they're good. Posters aren't forever, if that's any consolation, nor should they be.
Not sure where your drummer is coming from, maybe the "GOOD EATS" school of signage.

In the duo, the rare time we've done posters, we've included "violin & guitar", just in case folks assume we're harp and piano (it's actually possible, not that we've done it), or something else. We don't sing.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I think they look great and would add perhaps the event and venue could be larger. The graphic rules are one key big idea, and all other content is scaled below in size. I think you could bring the type size up for the details and date. Perhaps the band name on the top and the details larger on bottom. That said, its great as is and really most people dont pay attention.

Ive done tons of posters, heres my wall of shame.
Musician Font Music Fedora Entertainment

Wood Door Font Flooring Gas

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm the bandleader. We're loosely a trio with me on piano and most vocals, drums, guitar and soon a mandolin (once he's up to speed). But we're all adults with families etc and often one or another is missing. This week the guitar player is in Thunder Bay and we're a piano/vocal/drum duo. I also gig solo but then I just use my own name.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I think the posters both look great, but don't tell you what they are advertising. Also, I do believe the key info -- the where and when -- should be more prominent.

Just my opinion, but don't make people work to figure out what you're selling. A "Live Jazz" across the top, and putting the time and location in larger type would probably attract more customers. You don't need to go nuts, just be a bit more overt.

Again, just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Right thing at the right time in the right place to the right people for the right price.

I can't see how a poster creates any of that situation for you. If you are in demand, anything with time & place will do the communicating.

By your examples, I can see that your eye for layout is good enough. A large image that tells the story at a glance and the info needed to attend. Don't waste time fussing.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
IMO
- Poor choice of font for "Jazzagejazz". Hard to read, annoying.

- Venue Details/Date. Too small.

- Graphics dominate over "intended purpose/message". (color, size) .
Ex: Eye - gravitates first to ladies red hat....
Brain - I don't need a red hat.

Game Over.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Another KapnKrunch Story:

Althouigh I am not a graphic designer, smaller clients who couldn't afford a real artist, would get me to provide an elementary design as part of their advertising invoice.

A solar/wind/micro-hydro business asked for a logo. I came up with a kinda neolithic sun image. Something you might see on a cave wall -- appealing to your general nature-loving quasi-luddite. They obviously didn't "get it", so I whipped out a book of clip art. "Whadya like?" They oggled that for an hour and I noticed every choice had a tree in it. "Leave it with me."

A day or two later I presented a sun & a bird above some waves with a tree on the shore. They loved it. I am proud of that work, not because of its brilliant design but because I figured out "the right thing at the right time in the right place to the right people at the right price." And I got paid for that.

Don't let aesthetics get in the way of communication. Maybe , as already suggested here "LIVE JAZZ" will work better than any image. You guys can argue about whether it should be white-on-black or black-on-white.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm the guy in our band that does the gig posters. Fortunately they always seem to like them. I'd be tempted to tell your drummer, "hey, YOU do better." But that probably wouldn't help matters, would it.

I like the graphics you posted, fwiw.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts