The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

161 - 180 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
15,131 Posts
lotsa room to squeeze in any GM engine / tranny into those ... :)

2 speeds were good for up to 400HP and the bands were quick / easy to adjust.
used in a lot of funny cars too.

gud ol' daze .
But the stock 350 with a three onna tree was fun, especially speed shifting. They were great at the drive-ins too.

·
Premium Member
10,673 Posts
I still prefer the look of the C3's. That's what you would see the most of when I was a kid, so that's what has stuck with me.
I used to love the curves on the C3's. Actually used to own one.

Sold it a few years ago when the work to bring it up to what it should look like would have exceeded its value on the market and I wasnt enjoying it as much as I once did. It was a fun car to cruise the beach in, had a nice rumble and easy to work on (which you were constantly doing), but performed like a bag of shit...had a weird tendency to lift the nose under hard acceleration....something you DONT want a car to do. I sure wish more cars had T-roofs today though.

You can buy C4s for pocket change now. Pretty unloved generation for the most part. i think thats the problem with vettes after the C2...at some point, they hit a level where their value cant get them off of the concrete blocks theyre on, on some rural guys lawn, because a newer one comes out with better performance stats in a magazine, and thats all vette owners care about.

·
Premium Member
10,673 Posts
Maybe I'll take you all through some of my car journey (the more interesting ones, anyway).

After the vette (more accurately, while it was mothballed), I got a brand spanking new fox body Mustang GT 5.0

It was a much more practical vehicle, in that it had 4 seats, and being new, was more reliable-ish. The motor was strong, lots of torque, often making acceleration hard to not break your tires loose and squeal...i got a couple "unneccesary noise tickets" when I wasnt even really nailing it that hard. only issue with the motor was the rear main seal which leaked several times, ruining a clutch each time. Brakes and handling were actually a step down from the much older vette that preceded it. The car had a terrible COG/balance problem...much too light at the back, too heavy at the front and felt "tippy" due to weight being a little too high up in the car. So, front tires would wear prematurely, and you could get stranded in 2-3" of snow due to not being able to get any traction. I literally had to park the car and take a cab home in the winter a few times.
I although I used the car extensively (as above, while windsurfing down south...it was also much better to lug guitars and amps in, then the vette) i never felt like I bonded with it as much as I did, with the vette.
It ended in a fireball on the QEW one late night.
you can kind of see the damage after it got towed home while waiting for the insurance claim to be sorted out.

After that, I went in a different direction with the japanese made Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo.

I really enjoyed this car. Lots of power for its day, very smooth, very balanced, modern-ish interior (with 2 tiny seats in the back) that was much nicer than the 2 previous vehicles, perhaps a little less trunk space than the mustang. It gave me very little trouble during my ownership, and i racked lots of miles on it. The AWD was confidence inspiring and sorted out the power vs traction issue the mustang had. I would happily own this car again, even though it screams "'90s". Truly a pleasure to drive.
Once the engine was starting to go, I sold it to a guy in the east coast who had planned to mod it to a 1000hp monster...not sure whatever happened.

After that, came my A5 that i referred to earlier.

It has a lot of similarities to the Stealth....2+2 interior, AWD, similar power (although normally aspirated), manual trans etc....but in a more refined package. German cars IMO are very logical...everything is where it should be and works the way it should.
Its been a great car for me and although its nearing its end of life, I'd happily buy another one, although this time I might go with the Sportback model so I can better carry gear, hockey equipment etc. Cargo capacity in this car, IMO is quite poor, and additionally, hard to access in order to even be able to squeeze things in.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Maybe I'll take you all through some of my car journey (the more interesting ones, anyway).

After the vette (more accurately, while it was mothballed), I got a brand spanking new fox body Mustang GT 5.0
View attachment 351989
It was a much more practical vehicle, in that it had 4 seats, and being new, was more reliable-ish. The motor was strong, lots of torque, often making acceleration hard to not break your tires loose and squeal...i got a couple "unneccesary noise tickets" when I wasnt even really nailing it that hard. only issue with the motor was the rear main seal which leaked several times, ruining a clutch each time. Brakes and handling were actually a step down from the much older vette that preceded it. The car had a terrible COG/balance problem...much too light at the back, too heavy at the front and felt "tippy" due to weight being a little too high up in the car. So, front tires would wear prematurely, and you could get stranded in 2-3" of snow due to not being able to get any traction. I literally had to park the car and take a cab home in the winter a few times.
I although I used the car extensively (as above, while windsurfing down south...it was also much better to lug guitars and amps in, then the vette) i never felt like I bonded with it as much as I did, with the vette.
It ended in a fireball on the QEW one late night.
you can kind of see the damage after it got towed home while waiting for the insurance claim to be sorted out.
View attachment 351990

After that, I went in a different direction with the japanese made Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo.
View attachment 351991
I really enjoyed this car. Lots of power for its day, very smooth, very balanced, modern-ish interior (with 2 tiny seats in the back) that was much nicer than the 2 previous vehicles, perhaps a little less trunk space than the mustang. It gave me very little trouble during my ownership, and i racked lots of miles on it. The AWD was confidence inspiring and sorted out the power vs traction issue the mustang had. I would happily own this car again, even though it screams "'90s". Truly a pleasure to drive.
Once the engine was starting to go, I sold it to a guy in the east coast who had planned to mod it to a 1000hp monster...not sure whatever happened.

After that, came my A5 that i referred to earlier.
View attachment 351994
It has a lot of similarities to the Stealth....2+2 interior, AWD, similar power (although normally aspirated), manual trans etc....but in a more refined package. German cars IMO are very logical...everything is where it should be and works the way it should.
Its been a great car for me and although its nearing its end of life, I'd happily buy another one, although this time I might go with the Sportback model so I can better carry gear, hockey equipment etc. Cargo capacity in this car, IMO is quite poor, and additionally, hard to access in order to even be able to squeeze things in.
Those Stealths were a rocketship awaiting blast off. One of the coolest cars in that entire decade.

·
Premium Member
10,673 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
My family arrived in Canada via Detroit. Really it was a round about tour.. Acadia > Louisiana > Michigan > Ontario.

My love of Detroit steel is something I can’t shake.

The Grand National is the baddest motherfucker that I have ever seen being born in the late 80’s.

Also, Monte Carlo, Cutlass Supreme any supercharged G body etc..

Aside from late 40’s Buick’s and pretty much any Chevy built in the 50’s, I looove this era.

View attachment 350881
Yup, love all the muscle car era from the 50's, 60's & 70's. During the 70's owned a 1970 Monte Carlo SS 454, 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and 1971 Dodge Challenger R/T with 426 Hemi,... and of course like an ass I sold them all in the early 80's. However, to satisfy my mid-life crisis I bought one of the new Dodge Challenger R/T's with the 5.7 Hemi engines and with a few bolt on mods and dyno tune it pumps out 425 HP. I'm on my third set of tires.

Heres a link to a video on the backroad: 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T Video

1.Front.jpeg
2.Rear.jpeg
5.Drivers Side View.jpeg

·
Registered
125 Posts
I used to love the curves on the C3's. Actually used to own one.
View attachment 351980
Sold it a few years ago when the work to bring it up to what it should look like would have exceeded its value on the market and I wasnt enjoying it as much as I once did. It was a fun car to cruise the beach in, had a nice rumble and easy to work on (which you were constantly doing), but performed like a bag of shit...had a weird tendency to lift the nose under hard acceleration....something you DONT want a car to do. I sure wish more cars had T-roofs today though.

You can buy C4s for pocket change now. Pretty unloved generation for the most part. i think thats the problem with vettes after the C2...at some point, they hit a level where their value cant get them off of the concrete blocks theyre on, on some rural guys lawn, because a newer one comes out with better performance stats in a magazine, and thats all vette owners care about.
Here's one for ya,... and the damn thing actually runs too! Saw at Steve Plunkett's '2016 Country Cruize-In' car show in London.

·
Premium Member
10,673 Posts
Here's for ya,... and the damn thing actually runs too! Saw at Steve Plunkett's '2016 Country Cruize-In' car show in London.
View attachment 352117 View attachment 352118 View attachment 352119
lol....runs, but im guessing isnt driveable.
Candy apple red C3's though. Esp with Hooker sidepipes (I worked a whole summer to be able to afford chrome sidepipes-in my younger, foolish days).

the front reminds me of a miata...and theres something Audi TTish about it.

161 - 180 of 195 Posts