The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

121 - 140 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
15,131 Posts
over the years, i've had alot of cars people would love to have today. when i owned them, they were $200 beaters that i drove till they died, and left them there. if i had them today, some of them would be worth something, but not all of them.
i've had every galaxy and fairlane from 65 to 74. 70 & 72 lemans, 71, 72, & 73 charger, 66 coronet, 67 caddy hearse, 68 caddy ambulance, 78 xr7 cougar, lots of mustang 2's (ugh) and countless other cars i don't even remember right now. but 3 cars stand out for me aside from the ones i mentioned above:

'80 citation x11 - wasn't fast, but it handled good for a little shitbox with a worthless transmission. i had mine up on 2 wheels once, by accident. i caused alot of trouble with it. it was alot more fun than you'd ever guess it could be.

'68 coupe - by the time i was finished with it, it was quick, and handled great, but only for a few minutes. the front end would not stay aligned. it was the car that made me hate wrenching on cars, and made me swear to never own another old ford. girls liked it, so that was a plus.

for some reason, i can't find any pics of my 87 gta. it was mildly worked and had custom paint. the thing about this car was, i was completely incapable of driving it like a sane human being. the hearse was way faster, and when the mustang was aligned, with good tires on it and a dry warm road, it handled better. (it should have, the suspension and steering had been heavily massaged) but something about this car, just... fit me...in a way that i cannot explain. no matter how hard i tried, i could not drive it camly. i'm not exaggerating when i tell you that the 25 mile commute to work, then home again was a weird, jeckle/hyde experience that happened 5 days a week you know, when artie's behavior really changed, after christine revealed herself to him? kinda like that. like being someone else. someone i didn't like. no kidding, i used to walk in my house feeling bad about myself after driving home from work every day. i parked the car because of this, and bought an 87 tercel. you'd be surprised at the perfomance i even could wring from that. to it's credit, it was the 24 valve 4 with a 5 speed. it was dangerous at 70 mph, but you could get there alot faster than you'd expect. anyhow, i stopped driving the gta and parked it for 3 years before selling it for very little. it was a hard car to let go of, but it was a bridge that needed burning, if you understand what i mean. even now, 25 years later, i drive an old elantra, and it's more car than i should have. i cant drive 55. i mean, i really cant. the guy i am sitting in my living room or riding my bike, and the guy i am behind the wheel of a car are not the same person.
Was a time when you could get a big T-Bird for a couple of hundred dollars and you couldn't give away an Edsel. Those days are gone.

·
Premium Member
11,291 Posts
A hearse would be cool for hauling gear.

·
Registered
12,416 Posts
More than 6 pages in and still no K-car? ;) Still see them driving around in mint condition.

they weren't mint even when they were new.

View attachment 351195
i had one. it was fun, till you had to park it. when i owned mine, i moved around alot, between s. carolina, virginia, and delaware. no matter where i lived, i always encountered the exact same scenario. sooner or later i would be approached by some old person wo would say " son, i'm old and sick, and i feel like that car is waiting on me. would you mind parking it where i can't see it? it's impossible for me to say no to that. i parked in a different place almost every night that i owned it. when you're as high as i usually was back then, it caused problems

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
I'm surprised I'm the only person who posted a Corvette in this thread.

I've always liked 60's Camaros as well.

I've been having weird cravings for a C4 Vette lately...

View attachment 351195
One of the boys had one back in high school. The "Dead Girls Can't Say No" sticker on the back window drew a lot of complaints from the local parents and church communities.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Dude I was in HS with had a 64 Caddy Hearse. It had some kind of BBC in it with a 4 barrel - surprisingly quick for what it was. His GF put red curtains in the rear windows. He loaned it to me for awhile so I could go look for jobs - didn't get hired rollin in up in that thing.

Then he rented a basement apartment in Willowdale. The house was owned by an old Italian couple and they lived upstairs. They didn't know about the hearse until after he moved in and after that they kinda shit their pants everyday with the hearse parked on the street in front of their home.

121 - 140 of 195 Posts