The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true? I look at the times of the posts and there are very few. I never looked at that before but it seems to be way down since the update.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I think this is my 5th or so post since the new format. I used to post multiple times a day. I enjoy the members and content here. I am not a fan of advertising being injected into every orifice in my body, everywhere I turn on this site. It becomes nauseating. I get it that the ads keep this site alive. Someone is paying to host it. When I pay my annual membership fee, I have invested in the business of this site. I have given them my confidence vote. They don’t have my vote any more. Our content and contributions to help make this forum great, bought and sold like stocks on the open market.

Quit whining, its all around us right? Every website is the same. Its all about the money right? Well we’re the fools for investing so much time here. Making the site great. We don’t do it for money. We don’t see a dime.

At least on FB and YT I feel like I have some control, even if limited. It feels like I can skip by ads. I can ask them to stop spamming me with certian ads. Here they have found a way to impregnate them into the depths of our main content. Into the threads that we keep coming back for. Disguised as threads that we all read.

On and on it goes. Progression. You can’t stop it. You can choose not to participate though. This site jumped the shark for me. I still mull around occasionally as I’d rather not give up.Compared to my earlier time and contribution investment here? I’m down 90% plus.

If the main group of active contributors here find a new place to hang out, let me know. I’d be happy to try a new site.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The notification is shit now. Before I could hover my mouse over the notification and they would drop down. Now I have to right click over my top right icon. Then click open in new tab. Then go to the new tab. Then click the icon. Go down to alerts and click. This opens up all notifications. Then right click on the notification. Then switch tabs again to see the thread with the notification. Repeat.

·
Super Moderator
15,753 Posts
This is interesting. You're a premium member, same as me, but I don't see any ads at all. I was under the impression that one of the benefits of premium membership was no ads. I also run Ghostery and Adblock plus. Any other premium members seeing ads?

I think this is my 5th or so post since the new format. I used to post multiple times a day. I enjoy the members and content here. I am not a fan of advertising being injected into every orifice in my body, everywhere I turn on this site. It becomes nauseating. I get it that the ads keep this site alive. Someone is paying to host it. When I pay my annual membership fee, I have invested in the business of this site. I have given them my confidence vote. They don’t have my vote any more. Our content and contributions to help make this forum great, bought and sold like stocks on the open market.

Quit whining, its all around us right? Every website is the same. Its all about the money right? Well we’re the fools for investing so much time here. Making the site great. We don’t do it for money. We don’t see a dime.

At least on FB and YT I feel like I have some control, even if limited. It feels like I can skip by ads. I can ask them to stop spamming me with certian ads. Here they have found a way to impregnate them into the depths of our main content. Into the threads that we keep coming back for. Disguised as threads that we all read.

On and on it goes. Progression. You can’t stop it. You can choose not to participate though. This site jumped the shark for me. I still mull around occasionally as I’d rather not give up.Compared to my earlier time and contribution investment here? I’m down 90% plus.

If the main group of active contributors here find a new place to hang out, let me know. I’d be happy to try a new site.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
This is interesting. You're a premium member, same as me, but I don't see any ads at all. I was under the impression that one of the benefits of premium membership was no ads. I also run Ghostery and Adblock plus. Any other premium members seeing ads?
Same here Dave. I was thinking the same thing. I don't see any adds but if the owners continue to require subscription fees in US$, I will have to get used to them. I don't buy or sell on here so I don't really need a paid membership.

·
Super Moderator
15,753 Posts
Same here Dave. I was thinking the same thing. I don't see any adds but if the owners continue to require subscription fees in US$, I will have to get used to them. I don't buy or sell on here so I don't really need a paid membership.
You have a lifetime premium membership, you should be covered.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
It’s not just the ads; they mostly disappear when I use the Avast browser. When compared to the previous layout this one has lot of negatives from my point of view. I’m not expecting it to be changed but if I go to a site with the same system as our previous one the difference is quite noticeable. I would not have expected a format change to be as big of an issue as it seems to be but it is.

·
Super Moderator
15,753 Posts
It’s not just the ads; they mostly disappear when I use the Avast browser. When compared to the previous layout this one has lot of negatives from my point of view. I’m not expecting it to be changed but if I go to a site with the same system as our previous one the difference is quite noticeable. I would not have expected a format change to be as big of an issue as it seems to be but it is.
It will be interesting to see how TGP handles the change, pretty sure they're going the same route but have stated it will look very similar to the old page. That "may" require a lot of customization of the new software though, and that's not usually a good thing from a maintenance point of view.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
You keep saying that Dave but I know I paid $15 with my auto payment using Paypal in Feb this year and Feb (2019) when I set up auto payment which I just cancelled. I hope your right but I guess we'll see for sure in Feb (2021). That said, from what I've read, I do think the website owners are going to lose some Premium Members due to the US$ policy. . . . . Hmmm. Maybe they make more money from the ads the registered users see than they do from us Premium members? I wonder if if they get paid for the adds in US$? . . . Maybe I'm overthinking this?🤪

·
Super Moderator
15,753 Posts
You keep saying that Dave but I know I paid $15 with my auto payment using Paypal in Feb this year and Feb (2019) when I set up auto payment which I just cancelled. I hope your right but I guess we'll see for sure in Feb (2021). That said, from what I've read, I do think the website owners are going to lose some Premium Members due to the US$ policy. . . . . Hmmm. Maybe they make more money from the ads the registers users see than they do from us Premium members? I wonder if if they get paid for the adds in US$? Maybe I'm overthinking this?🤪
No one has corrected me yet. That's the way the FAQ reads, I don't see any room for misinterpretation. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
@Guitar101 I have never been stuck on any CDN site that uses USD for currency. It sounds more like greed than commerce up this side of the imaginary line. I rarely buy from the CDN sites that do this, and for that reason, have not made the jump to premium. I was considering it since I am so active on the site, but the USD thing has turned that into a solid NO for me. If I wanted to buy in USD..........I'd move to the USA. I use my laptop with an ad blocker, so I don't get the ads. If that means they don't get paid, then it happens. I rarely use my phone on GC because of the ads now.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
It's "Lifetime" only because it auto renews you like Columbia Records used to do. They will automatically take your money every year until you tell them to stop. That's how I read it when I went to renew - so I didn't.

·
Super Moderator
15,753 Posts
It's "Lifetime" only because it auto renews you like Columbia Records used to do. They will automatically take your money every year until you tell them to stop. That's how I read it when I went to renew - so I didn't.
So why the last sentence?

Any members who were currently Lifetime Premium members will now have the new Premium Membership experience (and will receive those benefits for their lifetime). New Lifetime Memberships are no longer available on the new platform.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts

Any members who were currently Lifetime Premium members will now have the new Premium Membership experience (and will receive those benefits for their lifetime). New Lifetime Memberships are no longer available on the new platform.
Maybe translated from Chinese ?!?! :eek::eek::eek:

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I'm not seeing ads- phone or laptop.

The fee in USD is completely insulting, (No offence to any US members) this is Canada though. We have our own currency.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
The site owners don't automatically sign you up for auto re-new. If you want the premium membership with it's advantages you pay once per year. If you want to keep your premium membership, you have to pay again when the year is up. I signed up for auto renew myself to avoid having to do it every year when my year is up. For me, that changed with the US$ issue so I cancelled auto renew.

Dave, I'm sure you're getting pretty tired of repeating the above quote and believe me. I get it 'but' you posted in an earlier post that you think I have a Lifetime Membership. I was not informed of having the Lifetime Premium Membership and was wondering if people that have it are notified that they do indeed have the Lifetime Membership and either I didn't get the notice or missed it. I'm patiently waiting until Feb 2021 when my current subscription is up to see if I will be required to re-new my premium membership.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Hi, I’m not seeing ads either. Right after the site “upgrade”, however, I was. Turns out that was because when they did the upgrade I got logged out. It took me a day or 2 figure that out but I eventually did.

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts

What do you mean? You have a paid membership and still see ads?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.