The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I have been slowly getting into doing some very minor repair work on my guitars, and am currently looking for a way - if there is one - to buy StewMac tools here in Canada (I am in Toronto) so that I do not have to pay the frustratingly high currency conversion and shipping rates involved in ordering directly from StewMac.

Is it possible to buy StewMac tools in Canada, either online or in a physical retail context?

I have had a look around online and cannot find anything, and I also do not think that the other tools that I have looked at online (which are similar tools to the StewMac fret dressing file that I want )will work as well for me.

See link below for the tool I am talking about.

I would be grateful for any help that you can provide.

Many thanks,

Geert

Fret End Dressing File | stewmac.com

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Stew-Mac has a yearly fee subscription deal for $52 CAD. It gives free shipping for a year. They say it also includes other secret deals and discount %ages but if one was buying a number of things it would be a good thing to spend $52 on.
Interesting - I was not aware of that.

I've ordered some tools from SM - notably their nut files, which are excellent.

For other tools, I often check Lee Valley Tools here in Canada, or Amazon.

P

·
0 Posts
Interesting - I was not aware of that.

I've ordered some tools from SM - notably their nut files, which are excellent.

For other tools, I often check Lee Valley Tools here in Canada, or Amazon.
My mistake, US for shipping only. All the other benefits would be there. But not the shipping, which is the only one that counts. I am on their email list and I am sure it was free to Canada as well when I got the email about it some time ago. But I just called them to clarify and it is not for Canada.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
My mistake, US for shipping only. All the other benefits would be there. But not the shipping, which is the only one that counts. I am on their email list and I am sure it was free to Canada as well when I got the email about it some time ago. But I just called them to clarify and it is not for Canada.

It's never been for Canada. I remember when it started and made a quick note of that. It's called Stew MAX and it's about $US40 for free shipping for the year. Every time I go to the USA I have a shipment from Stew Mac sent to where ever I am. Lee Valley is starting to stock Luthiery tools so check there first. Philadelphia luthiery is another store that is relatively cheap from the US. Guitar Fetish is a very inexpensive supplier but most of which you get what you pay for.

Cheers PEter.

·
Premium Member
All the usual suspects...
202 Posts
Have a look at Solo Guitar Gear, here in freezing Canada. They've been stocking up on a nice selection of basic but good quality tools recently. There there's Guitars and Wood in Portugal. Same quality stuff as StewMac, often the exact same stuff, only muuuch less expensive (check rulers, files and aluminum fret radius blocks...) and shipping isn't as expensive as from StewMac to Canada.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
There is also Crimson Guitars in the UK that sells luthier tools

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
There is also Philadelphia Luthier Tools but they are also in US$. As mentioned above, Lee Valley also has some files and assorted luthier tools.

Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies Guitar building tools and parts
I deal with these guys all the time, top notch service and great tools for a very fair price. If you email them with a question they usually respond within an hour. I'm putting in another order tomorrow. No affiliation, just a repeat happy customer.

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Premium Member
All the usual suspects...
202 Posts
I deal with these guys all the time, top notch service and great tools for a very fair price. If you email them with a question they usually respond within an hour. I'm putting in another order tomorrow. No affiliation, just a repeat happy customer.
Love these guys too. Great service and very fair prices, no ripping-off on shipping.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Yes, I received an email with a code but unfortunately I've deleted it. I'll try and source it out and post it when I find it.

P

·
0 Posts
I do not see that on their website?? I even tried to check out with a cart loaded. Where did you see this? Was it USA only? Thanks.

Regards Peter.
Enjoy 15% off everything in our store from Friday, November 23th to Monday, November 26th. That's 4 days to save! Enter coupon code "BLACKFRIDAY2018" at checkout.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts