The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed the seller and he said I was the 6th person to ask for detailed pics and the serial number. He's on the road and can't send pics right away. I'm assuming it's fake cause even a meth head could do the math. Sell the Standard for 1000 bucks in 5 minutes on kijiji, pay his friend then pocket the extra 200 and keep his fender. If either is real that's a killer deal.

Can anyone here see any glaring signs that this is a fake from the crappy pic in his ad?

2 electric guitars | Guitars | Muskoka | Kijiji

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
100% fake Gibson. Assume same on Fender. No point in asking for serial numbers because Chibson’s use real serials (ie: the will all come up as a 2006 Gibson or something in the serial checker). There are a bunch of easy to see tells; the first one that catches my eye is usually a metric bridge. The sticker on the pickguard of the one you posted is a sure give away too.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any tell tale sights that you could spot or are you just basing it on the highly suspicious story and ridiculous price?

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
100% fake Gibson. Assume same on Fender. No point in asking for serial numbers because Chibson’s use real serials (ie: the will all come up as a 2006 Gibson or something in the serial checker). There are a bunch of easy to see tells; the first one that catches my eye is usually a metric bridge. The sticker on the pickguard of the one you posted is a sure give away too.
Yeah that sticker rubed me the wrong way. I'm looking on my phone so I couldn't tell about the bridge cause zooming in makes the pic too pixelated to see properly.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha you saw that too eh?
If his story is legit then his friend isn't much of a friend. Probably gonna be hard to move that unless someone wants it as a wall hanger to decorate a jam room or something. The fender wouldn't be worth much if it's a fake either I'm guessing.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
All the chibsons and chenders on kijiji are priced $350/400.
Do they actually sell for that though? For my money I'd rather have an Epiphone standard than a chibson. Sounds like he suspected they were fakes going in though so I guess he figured that was the only way he was gonna get his money out of his pal

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He told me he's getting responses to his ad advising they're fake so he was upfront with me.
I advised him that they were fake after seeing the headstock pics. Initially he didn't say they were for sure but admitted that he was trying to find out on google. If his story is legit I'd imagine he's just a guy who doesn't know much about guitars and got these handed to him to pay a debt. His prices suggest that he wasn't trying to pass them off as the real thing.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I advised him that they were fake after seeing the headstock pics. Initially he didn't say they were for sure but admitted that he was trying to find out on google. If his story is legit I'd imagine he's just a guy who doesn't know much about guitars and got these handed to him to pay a debt. His prices suggest that he wasn't trying to pass them off as the real thing.
Havng said that, if he updated his ad with the headstock pics and the term fake anywhere in there it would help him avoid a lot of emails from people asking the same questions over and over.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
100% fake Gibson.
Based on what? There is no way to tell based on that pic.

No point in asking for serial numbers because Chibson’s use real serials (ie: the will all come up as a 2006 Gibson or something in the serial checker). T

That serial number website is completely useless and cannot be used for determining anything. Anyone who knows the serial number system can make one up that that site will accept as legit )I have done this myself to test it).

The sticker on the pickguard of the one you posted is a sure give away too.

Legit Gibsons have those stickers.

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
the most suspicious part of this, is that the “friend” gave 2 guitars to pay off $800 of debt, when one would have more than sufficed.

Reactions: colchar

·
Registered
757 Posts
Based on what? There is no way to tell based on that pic.
You can see the bridge is an import one, you can see the truss rod cover is wrong and let's not even talk about the poorly fitted pg.

You then see the strat has two pieces of wood for it's headstock and put two and two together.

Not hard to spot

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
And here I thought we were talking about the red LP that is said to be a Slash “tribute” a real made in USA guitar for $2k when a real Slash Corsa whatevers go for $6k.... such a bargain

1 - 20 of 20 Posts