The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a old friend of mine was given a 57 harmony rocket when he was 5 from another friend . I first saw the guitar in 2008 and right away asked if he would sell and it was a “no mom would kill me “ with him growing up his idea of the guitars worth really became more apparent . Still after numbers of try it was no , no and no . Tonight he messaged me about the old girl . We are talking payments right now .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

I’d hate to take it from him but I’d hate even more for him to sell it to someone who didn’t want to keep it . So if he can sell his other guitar and amp for $100 I can get this on payments

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
I had a single pickup one for a while. It was a fun guitar but in the end it was a one trick pony that was very hard to control at stage volumes. It did have a great tone if you could keep it under control. The pickups are totally microphonic. I used to play drum beats tapping the body of the guitar with my pick. I traded it for a 90's 3 pickup Danelectro reissue which I wish I I still had.

L

·
0 Posts
Nice!

That's not a '57 though. The one pictured is a '67 onward.
Two pup Rockets were first produced in '59 in sunburst.
'Red' Rockets came out in '63.
The 'stamped' numbers in your pic are production numbers not specific to dating.
There should be date stamps on the back of the pups.
Also, pre '67's had a 'steel reinforced neck'. Truss rods came in '67 and later.
The 'double mustache' pups with screws came at the same time.
Rocket 2 pickup H54 guitar - made by Harmony
http://harmony.demont.net/guitars/H54/142.htm
Here's a pic of my '66 before selling.

P1050295.JPG

66.JPG

It's a nice looking guitar.
I just want you to be aware of what you're planning to purchase and not overpay based on the wrong info.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice!

The 'stamped' numbers in your pic are production numbers not specific to dating.
Also, pre '67's had a 'steel reinforced neck'. Truss rods came in '67 and later.
http://harmony.demont.net/guitars/H54/142.htm

View attachment 180345
View attachment 180353

I just want you to be aware of what you're planning to purchase and not overpay based on the wrong info.
Kk I thought the 57 was the year my friend claims it’s a 68 .it comes with a big amp . I had a friend offer to go half’s on it and he takes the amp do id only be paying $225

·
Premium Member
'59 LP Junior & Danocaster T
888 Posts
Wow, $225 for a ‘67 Rocket is a genuine friend deal. Congrats man. The bassist in a band I play with has a '67 and it's one of the better Harmony guitars I've tried. He paid a lot more than what you're getting yours for, and they seem to command those sorts of prices. Awesome, enjoy it and play it in good health.

W.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Nice!

View attachment 180345
View attachment 180353

I played one very similar to that a few months ago.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
It is a lot of fun playing a guitar with that much mojo. You can feel all the music that has come out of it. It can be inspiring.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
I worked on one similar. I wish I saw the post earlier. You got a sore dick deal on that guitar (ie, you can't beat it). Congrats. The one I did up needed a lot of work. Nothing electrical though, which was surprising, the pickups kick ass as you can tell if you to to the end of the last video (yeah, I suck at playing).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts