The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i have a floyd rose on my washburn, and i find it annoying that the bar is all flobby and gets in the way of the killswitch when i'm standing up, i'd like the whammy bar to stay still right under my small E string for easy access to both the whammy bar and killswitch. How would i do this?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Do you not have a friction nut on the Tremolo?
All my locking trems have a nut I can tighten just enough to apply the right amount of friction to keep the bar at any position, but I can swing it away easily when not in use.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you not have a friction nut on the Tremolo?
All my locking trems have a nut I can tighten just enough to apply the right amount of friction to keep the bar at any position, but I can swing it away easily when not in use.
It screws in until eventually it stops, but before it was just under the E string like i wanted, but with some force from time to time, it managed to push it's way all the way so that it's now pointing down to be in place.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Take the back plate off of the guitar and look to see if there is an allen bolt on the bottom of the part where the bar goes in. If there is tighten it, as it sounds like the whole assembly may be loose.

When the assembly is loose, the bar will have play in it and it won't stay put.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I'm actually mocking up a guitar with a floyd on it right now so here is a pick of the little bugger:

I've turned the floyd over as this one isn't actually mounted on the guitar yet, so it appears on the top in this picture.

Depending on how the back route is done, the assembly may not be visible when the trem is in the guitar (The one's I build aren't but some of my imports are):

Andy

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, i popped the cover out, and now i'm just really lost. The bar goes into the hole, but there's nothing at the other end. I'm not quite sure what i would have to do. here are pics

Full view:

Whammy bar from inside:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
It's hard to tell from the picture, but is there a bolt or nut on the bar mount? (from the picture it almost looks like a stripped allen head, but I can't tell) Even more important, is it loose from the back (can you move it or do you see it moving when you put the bar in?

If that mount is not moving then that's not your problem.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Hmm..........could we see a pic of the top where the bar is inserted?

So far, this is looking like my 86 Kramer Baretta. I have no access to the nut by routing at the back of the body so the best way to adjust it is by removing all the strings and springs, and remove the trem from the guitar.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here's a top pic

And no, the top part where i spin in the whammy bar is not loose, it's hard as a rock and in place. (The whammy bar used to be stuck to it, but i got that fixed).

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
here's a top pic

And no, the top part where i spin in the whammy bar is not loose, it's hard as a rock and in place. (The whammy bar used to be stuck to it, but i got that fixed).

Ok........there is a top nut! It is the thing with two flat sides that you screw the bar into.

Directly opposite this nut, behind the plate of the tremolo, there hopefully will be another two sided nut. The only way to see it is to tilt/divebomb the trem, so yo can see whats going on behind the trem from the front of the guitar.

If you do see two flats on a nut behind the plate, the friction can be adjusted. You will need two wrenches (usually supplied with the guitar) to adjust the friction on the bar.

Turn the top nut clockwise, while turning the bottom nut counter clockwise, simultaneously. The adjustment should be made in very small increments.

As I mentioned, it is much easier do this adjustment during a string change.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm nope none of what you're talking about, divebombing doesn't reveal anything in particular, and the whammy bar's end is just floating in midair (inside the guitar)

I think i'll just take it to my local guitar shop, they do things pretty cheap.

Thanks for your help though, guys! it was much appreciated :smilie_flagge17:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Hmm nope none of what you're talking about, divebombing doesn't reveal anything in particular, and the whammy bar's end is just floating in midair (inside the guitar)

I think i'll just take it to my local guitar shop, they do things pretty cheap.

Thanks for your help though, guys! it was much appreciated :smilie_flagge17:
Good idea.

Cheers!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts