The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my ever continuing quest to lighten the load-in/out I've been looking at portable line array PA systems for use with a 3/4 piece rock band. Examples of these are the Bose L1 and Electrovoice Evolve 50. There are a few others as well. These units appear to be marketed to acoustic players or duo's playing to smallish crowds but I was told (and am yet to be convinced) that these would work in a band setting for vocals and cover both monitor and main applications as they're less prone to feedback. I'm looking to use this for my band when we play small bars/restaurants where space is at a premium.
Has anyone used one of these systems for a band? How well did it work out?

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting review but it doesn't address the band usage question.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I love the look of these things, but there's no way they would keep up with a full band. The EV is rated at 1,000 watts. Bose won't even mention wattage on the L1.

I'm currently running 2x NX55P tops and 2x LS700P subs. That's 1,250 watt/side. I have plenty of bass, but I'm constantly running out of headroom on the tops. I can't imagine that a these little portable units would be able to deliver what I'm getting already.

I WISH there was a small, portable option since I HATE carrying those subs around, but I'm just not convinced that these guys are the answer.

·
Premium Member
4,279 Posts
At the L&M session yesterday, the sound guy mentioned calculating 5W per person in the venue. Raved about the Bose L1.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I have the turbosound ip1000. Excellent rig, tried the comparable bose rig, but no comparison (imo). I am using it for vocal and acoustic guitar when required. It has more than enough power. We use it with a 4 piece group, lounge type gigs. It has plenty of power for a larger venue as well. It has a really solid build design.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the turbosound ip1000. Excellent rig, tried the comparable bose rig, but no comparison (imo). I am using it for vocal and acoustic guitar when required. It has more than enough power. We use it with a 4 piece group, lounge type gigs. It has plenty of power for a larger venue as well. It has a really solid build design.
Can you set it behind the band to use as main and monitor? I've heard these things are pretty low risk for feedback in such a config.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
yes, we place it behind and just to the right of our drummer, no feed back, we all hear the vocals perfectly. Although we do a lot of older jazz standards, we also do "Alone" (heart) and "Hit me with you best shot". Our singer really belts out those songs, and we do turn up the instruments. The PA is still really just idling as it has so much volume on tap.
Makes for a very compact setup

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes, we place it behind and just to the right of our drummer, no feed back, we all hear the vocals perfectly. Although we do a lot of older jazz standards, we also do "Alone" (heart) and "Hit me with you best shot". Our singer really belts out those songs, and we do turn up the instruments. The PA is still really just idling as it has so much volume on tap.
Music to my ears! I'll have to see if I can rent one locally. There's a dealer nearby and I've inquired.
We do mainly classic rock in smallish bars mostly so this may be the ticket to lightening the load-in/out!

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
I think a lot depends on how loud you're gonna be as a band and how much you want to control the coverage in the venue you are in.

At some point, these are going to cause feedback and mix problems and will be inferior to more directional boxes mounted on either side of the band (or flown above, if you've really got a budget). But there certainly are venues and genres where they will work.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
This is reassuring. I really like the look of them, but without trying them, it's hard to tell if they'll work for us. We're definitely a LOUD band - not so much on-stage, where we try to keep it down, but out front, it gets very loud. My NX55P and LS700P rig is usually turned up nearly all the way at larger venues, so the ability of the Turbosound IP line keeping up with SPL is my #1 concern. To hear that the IP1000 has plenty of volume for your application makes me think that the IP3000 might be enough for us. I'm just gonna have to rent a pair one day or something.

L

·
0 Posts
Did a quick look at the IP1000.
It only has two inputs?
Say the band has 3 vocals and maybe the bass drum to mic up.
Would using a micro mixer into the IP be a solution?

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Here is my turbo sound ip1000 with my allen & heath micro mixer and my quilter micro 200-8 amp. This is the rig I use when I do my shmooooz corporate gigs. The sound is huge. I run my backing tracks into the mixer and also DI out from the amp into the mixer for just a little thicker / richer tone.

IMG_2203.jpg
View attachment 195025

1 - 20 of 31 Posts