The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some feedback.

How is Poplar Wood as a body wood for a Strat?

I've heard of using alder, ash, mahogany, pine, basswood and a few more. But never Poplar.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
nothing really wrong with it. light weight, not very hard, light coloured, not much for grain pattern. Around here anyway, the life span of a poplar is only about 50 years and they rot from the inside out. Big ones might be hard to come by. But if you find a good one, no reason it wouldn't work for an electric. About as hard & heavy as pine.

Also, they are the favored species of the pulp mills so that's usually where they end up.

In Washington state, all the lumber stores sell poplar 1x's in widths right up to about 12" and some 2x's as well. We just don't see them here in the stores.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nothing really wrong with it. light weight, not very hard, light coloured, not much for grain pattern. Around here anyway, the life span of a poplar is only about 50 years and they rot from the inside out. Big ones might be hard to come by. But if you find a good one, no reason it wouldn't work for an electric. About as hard & heavy as pine.

Also, they are the favored species of the pulp mills so that's usually where they end up.

In Washington state, all the lumber stores sell poplar 1x's in widths right up to about 12" and some 2x's as well. We just don't see them here in the stores.
Thanks for the info, but I was meaning in a musical instrument sense-how does it sound compared to other woods.

The reason I ask is that I saw these bodies on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/MAKA-Finish-Electric-Guitar-Routing/dp/B077P3452K/ref=sr_1_27?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1517022316&sr=1-27&keywords=guitar+body

When I saw they were made of poplar I was curious.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
Very similar to alder in tonal peoperties

Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
I have read that it is called the poor man's alder.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I agree that the wood would not make that much of a difference. You can taylor your sound with strings and pickups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
I'm more than 90% sure that my '72 Fender Jazz Bass has a poplar body*, and it sounds great. Not horribly heavy, a little soft so it's a little easy to dent.

Of course, there are about a zillion varieties of "poplar", and some things called poplar that are really other things, and some woods (aspen, cottonwood) that are called other things but are really poplar, and most poplars are actually willows anyhow. So remember, when reading my postings, always ask yourself "Ahh, what the heck does he know?"

*likely black cottonwood, actually

1 - 20 of 24 Posts