Registered
18,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I love free enterprise.

I love organised labour.

They are like steel sharpening steel in many countries.

In North America they are like kids fighting over candy.

While Asia kicks our ass.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
I'm giving up drinking for a month! Or I'm giving up, drinking for a month! :)

·
Registered
1,944 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Back in 2006 I was lead in a communications project and was negotiating rates for common carrier usage on utility poles while this case was making its way through the courts....

Comma Law - LawNow Magazine

We were always just a little more careful with contract language after this.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Not a punctuation thing ,but somewhat similar ...

There is this sign outside a local HomeHardware right now.

Huge Wood Stove Sale !

I feel like calling them and asking "Just how freakin' big are these things ?

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Not a punctuation thing ,but somewhat similar ...

There is this sign outside a local HomeHardware right now.

Huge Wood Stove Sale !

I feel like calling them and asking "Just how freakin' big are these things ?
Well, obviously they have to be big enough for the "huge wood".

·
Premium Member
11,368 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,325 Posts
While the line circled is certainly chuckle-worthy, I'm trying to figure out what a "forgetfulness headache" is.

"What was that guy's brother's name again? Oww!! It's starting up. Get me an Advil."

Years back, I was on a working group designing the employee survey that goes out to several hundred thousand federal employees. In trying to devise a promotional campaign that would encourage responding, one of the group-members suggested borrowing Nike's "Just Do It!" motto and reshaping it as "Just Tell Us"; as in "If something's bugging you, just tell us about it". Graphic designers were assigned the mission of producing several candidate posters to be plastered by elevators across the nation. When we were presented with the designs to select from, the emphasis was placed on the wrong word, using italics. The posters read "Just tell Us", like it was some sort of secret that shouldn't be leaked to the media. Much like punctuation, visual emphasis can make the difference.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
A lifetime ago, and a career ago, I took several courses that included contract writing. Tense, weasel words, punctuation, and contractions killed off the weaker students. In the intervening years I've noticed that my casual writing style has overtaken my formal style.

·
Registered
15,152 Posts
Oh please don't stop. All depends on what punctuation you use where and what's capitalized.. It can make years of difference.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts