The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man im really jonesing for those Dr. Z's amps... Problems is im a poor ass mo-fo. Are there any brands out there that come close but not in cost?

Drool

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey,

Well you might have a little trouble finding a "poor man's" Dr. Z...mainly because Dr. Z is known for pricing at the low end of the hand-wired, point-to-point, all tube boutique amp market. Most of his amp heads can be had used for around $1000 (sometimes as low as $800 for some of the lower-wattage models like a Ghia).

If you can find a good vintage used Traynor amp or blackface Fender (like Bassman) it might be a little cheaper and still have some of the character and quality construction of a Dr. Z. Also depends which Z you like. If it is one of his lower-wattage EL-84 models, maybe look for a similarly configured old Traynor, like a Bassmate for $300-400.

Not saying these will sound just like a Dr. Z, but these are some of the lower-priced amps that will give you some of those sought-after features.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Blair

·
Registered
74 Posts
poor mans z

Well these are'nt too loud but you can sound pretty good and mike it.

Get an old working WEBCOR tube reel to reel mono or stereo doesnt matter. Usually 10 bucks at the flea market or garage sale.
Attach a good 8ohm speaker cab at the extension speaker jack. This disengages the onboard 4 inch speaker. Go straight into the input with your guitar and tweak the tone knob.

There is the monitor volume and the input level to adjust what is coming out.
Three knobs plus the one on the guitar and you can get every straight guitar to amp tone possible.
This set up can get anything from nice clean country twang to early Deep Purple(Blackmore and many others used this idea) and beyond.
If you want to really adventurous, add an overdrive pedal and you are in Robert Fripp infinite sustain heaven and you dont even need to buy a fernandes sustainer or a tube compressor becasue its all built in.

Stick an mike in front of it and well...that another matter...

The reason is is that the power amp section is single ended class A and there are (I think) two gain stages for the preamp. So basically you have a champ with the governor removed.

I have I use for recording. One mono and the other stereo.

I added a toggle switch so I could turn off the noisey motors for the tape machine part.

Granted its not a Z but it's a hell of a lot of good stuff.

Im a toil'n with the water's boilin...best get to noodlin an stopada doodlin'.:rockon2:

Have a good weekend-

sincerely
Soupbone

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
I have a owned a few Z's over the years, they are excellent amps, but I haven't really seen anything that sounds much like them. You can usually get a used one for a reasonable price. If you're seriously interested, PM me and I might be convinced to part with one of mine (I'm a bit overloaded on amps right now)...and I can certainly give you a few other places to look.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
If you can find a good vintage used Traynor amp or blackface Fender (like Bassman) it might be a little cheaper and still have some of the character and quality construction of a Dr. Z. Also depends which Z you like. If it is one of his lower-wattage EL-84 models, maybe look for a similarly configured old Traynor, like a Bassmate for $300-400.

Not saying these will sound just like a Dr. Z, but these are some of the lower-priced amps that will give you some of those sought-after features.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Blair
That is exactly what I was thinking. I recently got a 60's model Traynor Bass Mate head (EL84 version). Stock, it's actually got a lot of that characteristic Dr. Z. EL84 tone. More so then any other EL84 amp I have tried. First time I used it with a Tele, that Dr. Z sound is exactly what came to mind. As other said, not the exact same but at well less than half the price pretty darn good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts