Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2002 Gibson SG Standard

Votes: 4 57.1%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pick the last one if you like the 2002 Reissue best, accidently put standard there...

I made this poll, because all four of these guitars are on ebay for ruffly the same price.....
Which one do you like better??? Please give reasons why you chose that guitar...

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I made this poll, because all four of these guitars are on ebay for ruffly the same price.....
Which one do you like better??? Please give reasons why you chose that guitar...
This is the tough thing about buying a guitar without playing it. Picking a guitar based on what year it was made makes no sense at all. You might as well base your choice on which day of the week they were made, or the month they were made. Unless you can play all of them first, you'd be as well just to buy the cheapest one, or your favourite color ? Even though you'll probably save a few bucks by buying via Ebay, it certainly robs you of picking a guitar based on playing it first, and having it "pick you".

·
Premium Member
17,436 Posts
This is the tough thing about buying a guitar without playing it. Picking a guitar based on what year it was made makes no sense at all. You might as well base your choice on which day of the week they were made, or the month they were made. Unless you can play all of them first, you'd be as well just to buy the cheapest one, or your favourite color ? Even though you'll probably save a few bucks by buying via Ebay, it certainly robs you of picking a guitar based on playing it first, and having it "pick you".
Marlon...these are wise words for you...grasshopper.
(you are too young to get the"grasshopper" part..so translate it as "young person acquiring knowledge"....or ask your parents where it comes from)

Please get a guitar soon..the agony/prolongation of your process of deciding on which guitar to buy is killin' me.

Good Luck

Dave

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive played all of them, with totally diffrent settings, but overall they sound the same to me....
im asking becuase i want to know which one has the best electronics (humbuckers) and which one will last the longest....

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Marlon, you are asking for the moon then. Can't say as I blame you, but it's entirely subjective. If they all feel the same to you, then pick the one which feels just that teensy bit more comfortable... take your time. In my view it's better to get the one which is the best player... they'll likely all have very good tone but if you must you can upgrade the pups at a later date. The playability and innate feel of the instrument is more primal, IMO.

You know what? I don't have any SGs at the moment - neither Epiphones nor the real deal. If I was really jonesing for one I would simply like a used standard or any other model which had the neck binding ... I could care less about the year of issue personally, that's just splitting hairs for me - I really like the look of the binding on the neck and without it an SG looks sort of plain to me. But that's just my preference. Any of the SG models with binding would do it for me, although I should add that I like 'em kind of plain - trans cherry or a nice tobacco finish would do it for me. I kind of think of SGs as being serious blue collar guitars, sort of like a Tele - dress 'em up too much and they just feel wrong to me.

But good luck on the decision, and let us know what you eventually get.

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
hey marlon.. they're all built to the same quality standards, and with great electronics. you're best off to buy the one that agrees with your tastes the most. i would still suggest that you go to the stores and play some guitars and buy the one that speaks to you though... my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Gibson confuses me on the SGs.

I'd go with the reissue, but I'd prefer the reissue Standard from the Custom Shop, other than the '61 reissue from USA.
If that is too pricey, then I'd go for the '61 reissue.

I wouldn't worry about the pickups, 57 Classics or Burstbuckers (I think that's whats in them) are both good pups.

·
Registered
365 Posts
'61 reissues cost more new, if they're all roughly the same price you'd be getting the better deal with that one. I prefer the Standards though, but the reissues are good for hard rock and such.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts