The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Do you prefer/use a wound "G" strings on ELECTRIC guitars?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beginning to prefer wound "G" s and buy them as singles when the packaged set(s) I buy don't have them. Them seem less bright to me and balance with the other strings better.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Agreed, especially on jazz guitars. To my ears, wound G strings intonate better, and balance better in both tone and level. I can't remember the guy's name, but over 30 years ago at the long closed up Music & Sound on Market Street in Brantford, (where I first met @Milkman in 1983/84), a tech there convinced me to put a wound 3rd on my squire strat. He was, and remains, correct. I much prefer the wound 3rd, it sounds like "my sound."

But sometimes, when I try to cop a sound from a record, the accurate choice is a plain G.

Ernie Ball Slinky's came out in the mid 60's. You wanna sound like Chuck Berry? A wound 3rd gets you closer. The f'n amazing solo on Rock Around the Clock? Wound 3rd, baby!!! Judas Priest tunes? Plain 3rd.

YMMV

·
Premium Member
16,833 Posts
When I tune below C the wound third is in those sets.

Been a while though.

·
Registered
14,591 Posts
I use a plain 3rd string for some & a wound for my arch top.
The thickness of the plain 3rd was a pain when doing a string change--and the wound 3rd sounds better--so it stays.
But it is a different beast than the solid bodies.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I had a guitar set up for C# that had heavy strings and a wound 3rd. Sounded killer for rhythm but was torturous for lead.

·
Premium Member
10,951 Posts
One of my guitars, currently a Godin LG with humbuckers, is strung with D'Addario Chromes with a wound third string. There's something throwback, early rock, about the tone that I dig. I strung my Gretsch with them as well...I wonder what the new owner does...

Great for slide, rhythm, and leads with few bends.

·
Premium Member
17,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I figured there'd be a lot of bendin' goin' on... and that would not help the popularity of wound G's

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
you know,,, I don’t see it catching on
The less aggressive (musical genre wise) side of the local indie music scene has been into wound Gs for, like, the last 10 years. In that time manufacturers have released more sets with a wound G option, so this is not just a local thing. Of course you're trolling, but for the benefit of others.

I figured there'd be a lot of bendin' goin' on... and that would not help the popularity of wound G's

A friend went to go see John Paul Jones' band a few years back and came back blown away at the bends he was pulling with telephone wire sized bass strings. Wouldn't shut up about it a for a week.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
I've never used a wound G. I really only have tried one brand of strings on my electric. Dean Markley Blue Steel 9-42 custom lights. On my acoustics John Pearse gets the nod.

·
Registered
11,265 Posts
The less aggressive (musical genre wise) side of the local indie music scene has been into wound Gs for, like, the last 10 years. In that time manufacturers have released more sets with a wound G option, so this is not just a local thing. Of course you're trolling, but for the benefit of others.
although you may be right I’m just not seeing it. seems like something that went out of style but who knows, ,,., maybe it’ll pop back up in some form. certainly the poll above suggests it’s not very popular

1 - 20 of 45 Posts