The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wandering if I could some good quality automotive polishing compound on my Parker? I don't know what kind of paint finish it is!

It has a superficial scratches here and there.

OR

Should I not bother!

New String Day so I thought I might as do everything at once. Gibson Vintage.

Black guitars much like black cars are a big PITA to keep looking good

·
Premium Member
5,702 Posts
Should be fine

Reactions: Lola

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
I just did some research last week to see if it was fine using Mother's Scratch Remover on a nitro / lacquer finish. Apparently it is (will know for sure when I try it later on today).

I've been using Mother's Carnauba Wax on both nitro and polyurethane finishes for a while, with great results

Oh, and something like this makes it a whole lot easier

·
Banned
13,241 Posts
I just did some research last week to see if it was fine using Mother's Scratch Remover on a nitro / lacquer finish. Apparently it is (will know for sure when I try it later on today).

I've been using Mother's Carnauba Wax on both nitro and polyurethane finishes for a while, with great results

I've used Mothers and a buffing wheel on bodies I've stripped down, works well and looks good.

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

That's exactly what I I was going to use.

And I can use this safely on my SG nitro cellulose finish?

·
Premium Member
12,907 Posts
Last time I did a job like that I found some Planet Waves finish restorer (I think it was, anyway) that someone gave me, and used my inexpensive auto buffer/polisher. Worked great. Pre-clean the surfaces, use a brand new pad if you can, very light pressure, leave no residue.

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have all the equipment I need to to the job.

I am going to to it by hand. I don't trust myself with a drill!!

I would just die if I wrecked the finish because of my lack of expertise using a drill with a polishing wheel on it.

It's got your average characteristic ding on the front, right below the tone knob but that's besides the point!

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Probably fine using the automotive stuff by hand. It sounds like you have clear coat scratches in a poly finish? I have found sometimes a product works, and sometimes it doesn't. So you just try another one. Keep in mind that these products work by being abrasive. They "rough up" the scratch at an extremely thin top level. So you may have to find the product with just enough abrasiveness to take care of the scratch.

I have had great success on deep scratches with this Guitar Scratch Remover Polish

Also good results on very light top swirling with just the carnauba based wax from the same people. And some times just hot breath and a micro fibre cloth takes care of it.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
you guys are working too hard. or playing too hard. either one.
i just use 2 wonder wipes every time i change strings, and if i get sweaty when i play, i wipe it down right after. i dunno about you guys, but if my guitar is clean, it looks fine to me. i don't have scratches/gouges/buckle rash. granted, it's only 3.5 yrs old, but it's been either my #1 or my only guitar the entire time. it gets played plenty. of course, i ditched the pick guard right away, and that helps alot. if i had it on it would have marks on it. but without all that flat, black plastic surface right under the pick area, there's nothing to scratch. i don't let my guitar get dirty. well, mebbe once a year i might for a few days or something. but otherwise i keep it clean, and that does the trick. my case on the other hand, is completely ignored. it shows.

·
Banned
13,241 Posts
you guys are working too hard. or playing too hard. either one.
i just use 2 wonder wipes every time i change strings, and if i get sweaty when i play, i wipe it down right after. i dunno about you guys, but if my guitar is clean, it looks fine to me. i don't have scratches/gouges/buckle rash. granted, it's only 3.5 yrs old, but it's been either my #1 or my only guitar the entire time. it gets played plenty. of course, i ditched the pick guard right away, and that helps alot. if i had it on it would have marks on it. but without all that flat, black plastic surface right under the pick area, there's nothing to scratch. i don't let my guitar get dirty. well, mebbe once a year i might for a few days or something. but otherwise i keep it clean, and that does the trick. my case on the other hand, is completely ignored. it shows.
I actually haven't done anything besides a wipe down when changing strings on any of the guitars I own but when flipping a guitar thats had a harder life I've gone to the buffing method, especially on a black body.

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i own a black car now. i can totally understand what you mean there.
Much like your car. In certain lights I see very light scratches! I would like to obliterate them.

I don't sweat a lot and yes I am so guilty of not cleaning or wiping down my guitar after every use. If my guitar isn't on my hands it's either on it's stand or laying on the bed.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Much like your car. In certain lights I see very light scratches! I would like to obliterate them.

I don't sweat a lot and yes I am so guilty of not cleaning or wiping down my guitar after every use. If my guitar isn't on my hands it's either on it's stand or laying on the bed.
pshew! my car, i can wash it, and see new dirt in minutes! hahahaha

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would suggest using the Menzerna stuff. You can get it here:

Menzerna Polishing Paste

The 16 paste and the polish will work well. Doing it by hand, you could get away with just that 16. This stuff will Work better on lacquer than the automotive stuff from Canadian Tire.
Where can you buy this stuff?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.