The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with my baby boy just about here I've been thinking about adding another silent option to my roster of toys. I've got a Palmer PGA-04 now but was thinking of picking up a standalone digital unit so I'd have something compact that's not tied to an amp to use for silent practice.

What's the current state-of-the-art that doesn't break the bank? I heard the ToneLab SE clips from GuitarZ and Mooh and thought they sounded pretty good. The Vox tones were nice (of course) which is appealing.

I used to own a GT-6 so I think I've got a handle on how a GT-8 would sound.

What about Pods? The X3 looks pretty cool. Is there any difference in processing and effects between the bean version and the "live" version? Or is it just a bean with pedals built in?

Anything else worth considering?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
*cough* vox tonelab le *cough*
The LE is the long one? The older one? I remember Mooh saying he liked the A/D conversion on the newer board. Processing wise what's in each? Same DSP chip?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Well X3 = same as POD XT with more options and features. Exact same modelling technology (apparently it's 7 years old... that's what the guys on L6's forum say anyway) and amp models (just includes model packs).

Extra features are like... you can use 2 amp / cab models at once, XLR input for vocals, bass input for bass guitar, can use more then 1 stompbox at once and you can control the order of the effects. Other then those, it's literally the exact same as the XT... so if you don't need those you could get the XT and save some cash.

As for the shapes and other versions... features and modelling stay the same. Just a different design is all. The rackmounted Pro versions have more ins/outs though.

From what I've read on other forums the general answer is that Line 6 is the top for high gain tones where Vox is the top for lower gain rock tones. Not to say the L6 can't do low gain tones and the Vox can't do high gain tones... it's just one does the other better, lol. A lot of people aren't a fan of the Boss modelling stuff so they tend to rule them out. Again, that's just what I've read around places (no need to start a pointless arguement).

I kept the XTL for the simple reason that USB recording = nice option for home / silent recording... easy way to record quick ideas and the Bogner, ENGL and Diezel amp models are fun to mess with since I'll never buy the real thing haha.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I've read on other forums the general answer is that Line 6 is the top for high gain tones where Vox is the top for lower gain rock tones. Not to say the L6 can't do low gain tones and the Vox can't do high gain tones... it's just one does the other better, lol. A lot of people aren't a fan of the Boss modelling stuff so they tend to rule them out. Again, that's just what I've read around places (no need to start a pointless arguement).
Thanks. This is exactly the kind of information/opinion I'm looking for. What's the Vox model like on the Line6 unit?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I really like what I hear from the Tonelab. Its also easy to adjust settings.
Something you should give a good test drive is the Digitech GNX3000, or the RP units if you want a smaller footprint.

I myself have the Digitech GNX4. It is what I consider the ultimate practice tool. Built in drum machine and 4 track recorder! It takes CF cards that can store MP3 backing tracks and drum midi's. Need to practice a solo, just record your rhythm track along to one of the many built in drum patterns and loop away.

·
Premium Member
16,669 Posts
If I wasn't going to use it for live gigs, I would consider the Digitech GNX3000.

For a stand alone practice unit and for recording it has amazing sounds, a built in multitrack recorder and the effects are better than any of the other modelers IMO.

As soon as you decide to use one of these things live, I'd go with the Vox.

Right now I'm using a Tonelab LE and it's the best sounding live rig I've ever had, including an assortment of conventional tube amps and pedalboards, racks et cetera.

The Tonelab SE is also good.

I'm not a fan of the Line 6 units but I know people get great results with them.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had forgotten all about Digitech. Before the GT-6 I owned an RP2K. Lousy unit. Flimsy as hell. Sounds like I'll have to give them another chance.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
hi
i found a used pod 2.0 pretty cheap- tried a few modelers out in the store, digitech and some other one, didnt like them. the pod was a good price tho, so on impulse i bought it. it is a really versatile little thing- can get nice sounds- actually some great ones, with just headphones. i also run it into my mixer, then into my pc for recording or playback thru my monitors. im really liking it.
however the stock tones are shiite- using line6 edit tho i can swap the stock tones for really great ones. i found hundreds on the internet, and sifting thru them and tweaking a bit i put together a nice collection. its really the best all around solution for quiet playing i have found yet. for sitting around with headphones it blows a pignose or other small amp away.
ive never used many of the amps and cabs available in real life, but i know i am getting very realistic sounds-
thing that im finding is if i tweak a tone just right, it will respond like a tube amp and speaker- dynamics, overtones and all. not quite as nice as a cranked speaker- but damnably close

·
Premium Member
16,669 Posts
I had forgotten all about Digitech. Before the GT-6 I owned an RP2K. Lousy unit. Flimsy as hell. Sounds like I'll have to give them another chance.
I've had RP units and found them to be junky toys. Th GNX3K is much more substantial and capable.

I was very disappointed in the sound of it live, but with headphones and recorded, it sounds bloody amazing.

I still prefer the Tonelab LE overall. It does everything I need and more and it sounds great live.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The new RP units use the same DNA 2 chips as the GNX3000 and apparently has the same sound qualities of a 3000. I can't comment on the quality of the physical build of the units though, as I have never played with one.

·
Premium Member
16,669 Posts
It was Milkman. I got you guys mixed up.

Well I do find that the sounds are fundamentally better in the LE compared to the SE. It's 24 bit vs 20 bit I think, but I'm no techie and don't know if the higher resolution is the reason for the improved sounds..

I also prefer the smaller footprint.

Either model would be fine.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
go to http://www.guitarists.net and search "GT-8" under topic and "R O Tiree" under author - you'll find out lots about the capabilities of the GT-8 and possibly some clips as well.

i dont have any formal experience with multi's (had GT-8 GAS once) but i'd be looking at the POD XTL and GT-8 mainly. i know you can blend amps on the GT-8, i guess the new POD is capable of that too?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
i know you can blend amps on the GT-8, i guess the new POD is capable of that too?
Yeah the X3 can do it.

The XT can do something similar when recording... it's called re-amping. Basically record a dry signal then you can apply whatever patches you want to that recording without having to play the same thing over again. So you could have a Mesa panned to the left and a Marshall panned to the right in the recording if you wanted to.

Real handy for working out recording tones... like if you've got too much treble goin' on all you have to do is open Line 6 Edit, turn it down, hit record again and you'll be re-recording without having to play the same passage again. Probably the best part of the XT IMO.

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
that's a nice function :O.

i wonder how many people would call that a deal-breaker though..

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The XT can do something similar when recording... it's called re-amping. Basically record a dry signal then you can apply whatever patches you want to that recording without having to play the same thing over again. So you could have a Mesa panned to the left and a Marshall panned to the right in the recording if you wanted to.
I do this now with a Radial DI and my analog amps. It's not specific to the digital gear. It's certainly easier to do with the digital gear though. I'll do this when I'm not sure what amp I want for a track. I'll lay the track down first with one amp and capture a DI'ed version of the guitar, then play back the DI'ed track through the Radial DI and into other amps.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I do this now with a Radial DI and my analog amps. It's not specific to the digital gear. It's certainly easier to do with the digital gear though. I'll do this when I'm not sure what amp I want for a track. I'll lay the track down first with one amp and capture a DI'ed version of the guitar, then play back the DI'ed track through the Radial DI and into other amps.
Thats pretty neat!

The Digitech GNX4 has the re-amping feature as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts