1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,675 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I grew up in pianoland and still often instinctively reach for the absent sustain pedal with my right foot like I still often instinctively reach for the absent clutch with my left foot. The videos on the site are intriguing, and address my ambient music ideas better than sustainers, delays, and looping.

·
Premium Member
17,169 Posts
What does it do that the digitech freqout doesn't?

·
Registered
24,686 Posts
It's not a feedback simulator. Basically, it samples the input in a way that allows you to keep looping a note that makes it sounds like it's sustaining.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
What does it do that the digitech freqout doesn't?
The Freqout would sustain a single note if you wanted to, but just one note and it wasn’t forever. And the the end of the note wasn’t always predictable and not usually very smooth.

This seems more like the EHX Freeze, but I believe that sampled only a very small bit, while the Plus Pedal seems to sample a little longer and smoother. I believe there is also control for the attack and release, which would be nice. It also has an effects loop that I saw in a demo once that used tremolo... seemed pretty cool.

Never tried one, but would love to.

·
Premium Member
11,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's pretty serious money for me, which is why I'm cautious and asking around.

·
Registered
24,686 Posts
I saw a big display ofthem at NAMM today. If I can find some time over the next 2 days, I'll try it out and give you a report.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I just noticed last night I have an effect called Hold on a Boss multi-effects pedal. That says it can only do one note at a time.

I’ll have to fool around with it.

·
Premium Member
17,169 Posts
That's pretty serious money for me, which is why I'm cautious and asking around.
Rent the freqout from l&m and see if that scratches your itch. If not, look into this one more.

Reactions: Mooh

·
Premium Member
17,169 Posts
The hold works fine...?

·
Registered
24,686 Posts
So, I didn't try it, but I watched and listened while someone else tried one out. It's very similar in concept to the EHX Freeze, but has more control over the fade-in and fade-out. The foot-pedal has a VERY nice feel to it; just like the sustain pedal on a good piano. Pricey, yes, but a very usable effect...for those who already have a sense of how it would be used.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Does it have a latching mode where the foot pedal works more as an on/off switch, or do you have to have your foot on it the entire time you want it to sustain?

·
Registered
24,686 Posts
Does it have a latching mode where the foot pedal works more as an on/off switch, or do you have to have your foot on it the entire time you want it to sustain?
That aspect I did not see. The impression I got was that it was intended to be a non-latched switch, rather than something like a looper or delay with infinite repeat. You play a note or chord, make it linger as long as you need it to and play with it or simply use it as a sound with unnaturally long sustain. The use of a piano-like level switch is not merely cosmetic. The intent was to mimic how the same pedal is used with grand pianos; notes overlapping notes with instant elimination of sustain when you lift your foot off. Where it exceeds the EHX Freeze is in having variable rise and fall times. Fall time can be set to zero, such that it behaves like a piano sustain pedal.

To my way of thinking, there are many virtues to having non-latching momentary switching. Of late I have taken to installing what I like to call "punch-in" switches in my delays, that let you introduce new content into the delay path, and omit any new content by simply lifting your foot up. This is more amenable to note-wise and riff-wise application of delay, and less disruptive to playing that having to step twice for effect/bypass. Personally, I think all ring-modulator pedals should come with that. I don't know many people who would leave a ring-modulator on for more than a few bars, if that long.

The developers (gamechanger) are currently based in and marketing from the UK, but areeither from Ukraine or Russia, and also make the high voltage Plasma Pedal.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
The impression I got was that it was intended to be a non-latched switch, rather than something like a looper or delay with infinite repeat. You play a note or chord, make it linger as long as you need it to and play with it or simply use it as a sound with unnaturally long sustain.
I agree and definitely think that makes the most sense. But it is nice to have the option to to both. For example, on the Strymon BigSky you can hold the footswitch for infinite reverb, but I have found it useful to use a MIDI controller to basically do the same thing with a latching footswitch, which it is very useful. Some drones sound great through very long sections of the song, and it can be difficult to stand with most of my weight on one foot for that long.

To my way of thinking, there are many virtues to having non-latching momentary switching. Of late I have taken to installing what I like to call "punch-in" switches in my delays, that let you introduce new content into the delay path, and omit any new content by simply lifting your foot up.
That sounds really cool. It would be neat if you could control "punching in" with an LFO or expression too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts