The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Just like you, never had an EQ pedal.

I would probably go with the industry benchmark and start with a Boss EQ.
... see from there if you really like/need it.

Tom Bukovac, Tim Pierce and other pros have made youtube video in 2020...using this "not so fancy" EQ pedal.

·
Premium Member
4,718 Posts
I don't think it really matters what brand. It depends on how many bands you want. 7, 10, 20? brand might matter if it was parametric
MXR, and Boss would probably be the most common though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
For creative shaping, a graphic EQ is nice. To "solve" a problem, I often prefer a parametric EQ.

·
Registered
EJ Strat, Ibanez AZ, '62 Thinskin Tele, EBMM Silhouette Special, Carvin Holdsworth HF2
436 Posts
This might work. You've got control over 2 mid frequencies: pick a frequency and adjust level to taste. You also have a control for highs and lows.

There's enough control to actually do something interesting, but not so much that it becomes confusing or redundant.

Wampler EQuator

·
Premium Member
5,917 Posts
Just like you, never had an EQ pedal.

I would probably go with the industry benchmark and start with a Boss EQ.
... see from there if you really like/need it.

Tom Bukovac, Tim Pierce and other pros have made youtube video in 2020...using this "not so fancy" EQ pedal.
I found my Boss EQ to be very noisy. Other than that, it worked great. I'd suggest finding a modded one.

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts

Under $50, good for a trial.

Reactions: fretzel

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
I found my Boss EQ to be very noisy. Other than that, it worked great. I'd suggest finding a modded one.
I got a fix for that.

I've used the Fromal and the Para but the Boss was a nice return to simplicity, the mod made it silent

·
Premium Member
25,152 Posts
Graphic EQs, no matter who makes them or how many bands, are hit and miss. Are the resonant bands the ones YOU need? Don't know. They are simply spread out to be able to anticipate unknown situations. Guitar doesn't really need anything above 6khz, so most 7-10 band units are really only 5 or 4-band for guitar purposes.

Steve Bragg told me that their Parametric EQ was one of Empress's best-selling pedals. And I can see why, a 2-3 band parametric or semi-parametric is all a guitar-player really needs. The Wampler EQuator is actually very close to what I had declared the ideal guitar EQ to be on DIYStompboxes, years back. Shelving bass and variable lowpass, with two semi-parametric bends between. Wouldn't be surprised if Brian took my idea and ran with it. I know Joel Korte did for the Chase Bliss Condor, albeit with one sweepable band instead of 2.

I vote for the EQuator. Brian makes a good product and that one offers the right control.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
This is a question, not a suggestion. How does something like the Fender Engager Boost fit into this equation?
3 band eq with a mid shift and optional buffer. Can find used for sub $100.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Graphic EQs, no matter who makes them or how many bands, are hit and miss. Are the resonant bands the ones YOU need? Don't know. They are simply spread out to be able to anticipate unknown situations. Guitar doesn't really need anything above 6khz, so most 7-10 band units are really only 5 or 4-band for guitar purposes.

Steve Bragg told me that their Parametric EQ was one of Empress's best-selling pedals. And I can see why, a 2-3 band parametric or semi-parametric is all a guitar-player really needs. The Wampler EQuator is actually very close to what I had declared the ideal guitar EQ to be on DIYStompboxes, years back. Shelving bass and variable lowpass, with two semi-parametric bends between. Wouldn't be surprised if Brian took my idea and ran with it. I know Joel Korte did for the Chase Bliss Condor, albeit with one sweepable band instead of 2.

I vote for the EQuator. Brian makes a good product and that one offers the right control.
This is extremely helpful. Would be great if you built them. Would get one from you. Cheers

·
Premium Member
25,152 Posts
This is a question, not a suggestion. How does something like the Fender Engager Boost fit into this equation?
3 band eq with a mid shift and optional buffer. Can find used for sub $100.
I have nothing but praise for Fender's recent line of pedals, but I don't think this is exactly what you're looking for. Themidrange has three different center-frequencies, but they're fixed and may not suit what you need at any given time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts