The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I've got an older Mackie 1601 that has been a great workhorse. It's been gigged and rigged and keeps on ticking.

I

·
0 Posts
I'd say Yorkville if you're budget is really tight. But if you've got a bit more budget: Soundcraft Spirit or MPM. I find they're preamps sound a heckuva lot warmer than Mackie's SDR pre's on their VLZ boards. There's my $0.02 on it.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'd say Yorkville if you're budget is really tight. But if you've got a bit more budget: Soundcraft Spirit or MPM. I find they're preamps sound a heckuva lot warmer than Mackie's SDR pre's on their VLZ boards. There's my $0.02 on it.

...i checked the yorkville site and all their mixers are powered (ie extremely heavy and awkward!), unfortunately.

for live sound, at this stage, i don't need i don't need mind-blowing quality, although a degree of reliablity is crucial.

this looks like the one:

Mackie 1604-VLZ Pro - $1100 (USD - msrp)

-dh

·
Premium Member
16,543 Posts
...i checked the yorkville site and all their mixers are powered (ie extremely heavy and awkward!), unfortunately.

for live sound, at this stage, i don't need i don't need mind-blowing quality, although a degree of reliablity is crucial.

this looks like the one:

-dh
Why is that a problem?

You do have the option of reassigning the power amps to drive monitors or whatever and of course there are line level outputs so you can bypass the power section altogether.

It does make the board a bit heavy I suppose.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why is that a problem?
You do have the option of reassigning the power amps to drive monitors or whatever and of course there are line level outputs so you can bypass the power section altogether.
It does make the board a bit heavy I suppose.
...i've handled powered boards a lot. the yorkville is 76 pounds. i'm just not going to put myself through that, unnecessarily. i do so wish yorkville offered un-powered boards - i prefer to deal with local/canadian companies.

-dh

·
Registered
3,274 Posts

this looks like the one:

-dh
I'd still go for the Onyx, better preamps, EQ and I love the firewire option. But I'm sounding like a broken record now. :smile:

·
Premium Member
16,543 Posts
...i've handled powered boards a lot. the yorkville is 76 pounds. i'm just not going to put myself through that, unnecessarily. i do so wish yorkville offered un-powered boards - i prefer to deal with local/canadian companies.

-dh
I guess it's a bit heavy. For me it doesn't make a big difference when you look at the rest of the stuff we drag around.

I also wish they made non powered boards as well.

I'm going to be moving to a bigger board sometime this year (more channels) and I'm at the top of Yorkvilles boards now. Too bad really. In spite of other opinions I love the sound of the Yorkie preamps. The board in general is very transparent sounding to my ears.

I

·
0 Posts
Of all the things you have to haul into a gig it probably won't be the heaviest. You do get a great price on Yorkville's in Canada and you can opt not to use the power amp, or use it for a monitor mix like Milkman suggested.

Definitely a staple mixer out there. I don't think I've seen a rehearsal hall without one. If you can I suggest A/B'ing it on vocals with a Soundcraft FX16ii or EFX. I think the pre's on the Soundcraft boards are far less sterile.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Would you consider a digital board? You can pick up a used Yamaha 01v for $700~$800.

I have used one for live gigs for a couple of years. It is nice having all of the effects and dynamics on-board. Being able to save your setup for different gigs is also a real time saver.

There is a bit of a learning curve to learn the menu functions.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I've used a promix and an 01V live. The promix is actually better for live sound but both mixers tend to start putting out digital trash in harsh (ie hot, humid bars) environments as the night wears on. I was all for using the digital boards, but after one summer, I went back to the analog boards.

For a small 16 channel mixer, I would suggest Soundcraft, Allen & Heath or Mackie. Berhinger also makes mixers that are cost effective, I've seen them, but never used one.

I actually personally don't like Mackie boards, but I've used allot of them and they do get the job done and they hold up for years. They are pretty much the standard in the smaller rigs.

A good feature to look for is a high pass filter on every channel (it rolls off everything under 80Hz or so) and two sweepable EQ's.

Beware of really cheap brands as they usually sound cheap.

Besides Yorkville, I can't think of anyone in Canada making consoles.

·
Registered
135 Posts

this looks like the one:

-dh

The 1604-VLZ is a very nice mixer. The last generation of Mackie VLZ boards are fairly inexpensive now that the new models have come out. These used boards go for about half of the retail price.

I have a 16 track Yamaha MG16/6FX which retails for about $800 at Long & McQuade. It sounds great and has worked flawlessly for a couple of years now. Has great effects on it too. It is also pretty light. Worth checking out.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The 1604-VLZ is a very nice mixer. The last generation of Mackie VLZ boards are fairly inexpensive now that the new models have come out. These used boards go for about half of the retail price.
I have a 16 track Yamaha MG16/6FX which retails for about $800 at Long & McQuade. It sounds great and has worked flawlessly for a couple of years now. Has great effects on it too. It is also pretty light. Worth checking out.
...the MG24/14FX has 16 mono microphone/line channels. i like the fact that it has built-in yamaha effects, which are quite good.

i also like the fact that yamaha has a service department in scarborough - that is a huge plus.

thanks for the tip.

-dh

1 - 20 of 30 Posts