The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always had a problem with this expression.

I've always found butter to be a pain in ass. It sticks to the knife, gathers crumbs from the toast so the rest of the dish gets dirty, and if you get any on your hands, it's actually hard to get off without running hot water over your hand to melt off the residue.

To me when something plays like butter, means it needs a good setup to make it play smooth again

Maybe, plays smooth as fresh ice?

·
Premium Member
16,942 Posts
Butter is a lubricant for pans, no? I always translate "like butter" to a variation of "smooth" in my head.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Well, not shot, but covered in butter for a couple of days.

It always reminds me of a yucky, oily mess.

·
Premium Member
17,423 Posts
Where are all the foodies when you need them?

Butter is like magic for enhancing many, many dishes.
Rich, creamy and (can be) quite salty...lots of "overtones"
(I just made that up...it seemed to work well for me in this thread)
and it "carries" many other flavours, spices, herbs, etc wonderfully.
(I didn't make that up)

Long live butter in the world of cooking! (and guitar)

·
Premium Member
13,039 Posts
I hear the phrase, "Plays like Buttah", my eyes roll so far back in my head, I almost don't think they can't roll back and I'm not gonna see again.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Where are all the foodies when you need them?

Butter is like magic for enhancing many, many dishes.

Long live butter in the world of cooking! (and on hot bread)
Fixed it for ya!:D

·
Premium Member
11,981 Posts
"Plays like butter" usually goes along with the expressions "I picked this from 100 other ones" and "this is the best guitar I've ever owned". And usually in a For Sale listing - which begs the obvious question: "Why are you selling it then?"

·
Registered
755 Posts
I hear the phrase, "Plays like Buttah", my eyes roll so far back in my head, I almost don't think they can't roll back and I'm not gonna see again.
If I say it three or four times, will your eyes roll all the way around and come up the other side ?

In this new millennium, maybe we should say, plays like Teflon or plays like nano something. Here it is ... it plays like SLIPS. You'd have SLPIS on your neck, it's so slippery. you wouldn't be able to hold it.
SLIPS (Slippery Liquid-Infused Porous Surfaces)

·
Registered
12,279 Posts
"Plays like butter" usually goes along with the expressions "I picked this from 100 other ones" and "this is the best guitar I've ever owned". And usually in a For Sale listing - which begs the obvious question: "Why are you selling it then?"
cause they're broke and it's the only valuable thing they can live without? been there myself

1 - 20 of 42 Posts