The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last year and a bit I’ve been thinking of selling off most of my guitar equipment. I’ve been primarily on bass since 2016 and in truth, I like it better. Gigs have been easier to come by and I have more fun doing them.

Last summer (2018) was the last time I played guitar seriously. I was playing lead in one band while playing bass in another. It thought it would be manageable, but I just didn’t have the time to work on both instruments simultaneously and I focused on the bass because that band was more interesting while mailing in my guitar playing. In the end I didn’t feel it was fair to the band I was playing guitar for and decided I wouldn’t do this again.

In the last year I wouldn’t be surprised if I put less than 20 hours on guitar, and every time I do play I mostly play the same 5-10 songs that I played last time. I have no progression and no motivation to progress. I have no intention of joining another band on guitar.

So... I’m kind of at a crossroads. I have a lot of money tied up in guitar gear that’s just sitting unused, and I want to get rid of it. What’s giving me pause is fear. It took me the better part of two decades to get it to where it is today, much of it is cherry picked over time, and if I were to sell everything off it’d likely take me the better part of 15 years to get it all back.

If I do sell off, my intent is to keep one guitar, amp, cab and a small pedalboard with the stuff I actually use. I could easily gig this setup if I ever got that itch again.

I’m in no rush and will likely kick this can down the road a bit longer. Since a lot of bass players started as guitar players I’m wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and how you went about resolving it (or not)?

·
Premium Member
16,650 Posts
Will it cost more to buy back later?

You could... use said gear.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
It's just stuff.

Your plan of downsizing is perfect. If I kept every great instrument I ever owned, my house would be like my buddy's -- he can't even provide a place for me to sleep when I am in town. Just because it is quality stuff doesn't mean it isn't hoarding.

Embrace the liberation my friend!

Trust the power of your creative and adventurous spirit!!

Throw off the schackles of mindless materialism!!!

Or just keep it all. No difference.

·
Premium Member
8,546 Posts
Calling @keto to the stage....

If you want me to hold onto some gear for you while you try to see if you'd regret it being gone I'd be glad to help you out. ;)
ive been lazy and not put up a bunch of stuff, from multiple hobbies (and also including *gulp* my last guitar) up 4sale. Purge soon.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Same situation.
I've been playing bass for around the same amount of time, three years or so.
And I'm loving it!
Guitar, on n' off for 40 years and have acquired an eclectic collection of my favs.
Barely touch them though.
Trying to sell them, but wind up accepting trades of stuff I like. lol
Will be doing the Elmira show next spring again.

Reactions: KapnKrunch

·
Registered
226 Posts
Bass playing is a lot of fun and I've also been surprised how much opportunity there is.

If you sell your guitar gear what happens to the money? If it gets frittered away on a bit of this and a bit of that and some beer and some pizza then soon there you are with no guitars and nothing else to show for it and no money either.

But if you have some specific worthwhile thing that all the money would go towards that's more promising.

j

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Selling your guitar gear is selling your guitar skills. I would keep it and make a point of playing at least 3-4 days a week. Run through some scales, spider exercises and get a song book and work through them. even if it is just 15 -30 minutes a session. Otherwise you may have a hard time getting back to the level you're at now.

·
Premium Member
16,297 Posts
Over the last year and a bit I’ve been thinking of selling off most of my guitar equipment. I’ve been primarily on bass since 2016 and in truth, I like it better. Gigs have been easier to come by and I have more fun doing them.

Last summer (2018) was the last time I played guitar seriously. I was playing lead in one band while playing bass in another. It thought it would be manageable, but I just didn’t have the time to work on both instruments simultaneously and I focused on the bass because that band was more interesting while mailing in my guitar playing. In the end I didn’t feel it was fair to the band I was playing guitar for and decided I wouldn’t do this again.

In the last year I wouldn’t be surprised if I put less than 20 hours on guitar, and every time I do play I mostly play the same 5-10 songs that I played last time. I have no progression and no motivation to progress. I have no intention of joining another band on guitar.

So... I’m kind of at a crossroads. I have a lot of money tied up in guitar gear that’s just sitting unused, and I want to get rid of it. What’s giving me pause is fear. It took me the better part of two decades to get it to where it is today, much of it is cherry picked over time, and if I were to sell everything off it’d likely take me the better part of 15 years to get it all back.

If I do sell off, my intent is to keep one guitar, amp, cab and a small pedalboard with the stuff I actually use. I could easily gig this setup if I ever got that itch again.

I’m in no rush and will likely kick this can down the road a bit longer. Since a lot of bass players started as guitar players I’m wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and how you went about resolving it (or not)?
I think half the fun in getting back into an instrument is putting together your new rig.

I’d sell it and maybe just keep one or two of your favourites.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
But if you have some specific worthwhile thing that all the money would go towards that's more promising.
Like more bass gear?
It's not about the money
It took me years to acquire what I have. Patiently waiting for what I wanted to become available at a reasonably used price.
Would I regret selling? Definitely. But that may be easier than deciding which nieces and nephews get what guitar.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Welcome to the Bass side ! ;)

I cant answer any of your questions since Ive been a Bass player for the last 40 years. I have as many guitars as basses !:confused: I never sell gear but have been know to trade...

I would never find myself without an instrument just in case I might have that itch... :cool:

Best of luck in your dilemma...

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Keep what works for your Base guitar tone . I'd only sell the gear I wouldn't otherwise care for if I went back later. I sold a few pieces of gear in the early 90's that I still kick myself over selling. You'll be in a different situation at some point so what can I say? Future proof?

Thanks for the help in my Bass thread BTW :)

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Bass player turned guitar player here. It makes sense to downsize, I often feel like someone out there could make good use of my gear. I still buy and sell here & there to try new things but I have definitely scaled my gear back to a few key items.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
more bass gear
I guess some people pile up bass gear ... hmmm ... i never think about that. I have one bass and that's enough for the sounds I want to make. A small amp and a DI to the board and I'm good to go.

Guitars you need several just to cover the bases

My kids are getting old enough to think about leaving home. I've encouraged them to play all the instruments in our house but I realized the other day we're soon gonna need a little sit-down conversation about what gear can go away to college and what needs to stay at home with Papa Bear

j

·
Registered
907 Posts
Absolutely, sell guitar gear you aren't using, besides, how are you going to GAS for guitar gear when you already have it. That's part of the fun.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I'm kind of the opposite as I then played mostly just bass for years while only dabbling in guitar a little bit. But over the past 7 years or so I've started collecting more guitar gear and playing guitar 80% of the time. I have almost no bass gear, but what I have I like very much.

Like more bass gear?
What bass gear? To me, bass was always just bass -> cord -> amp. :)

I never really got into tone chasing with bass, it was more about the parts I was playing than the sound. But guitar is all about tone chasing for me (probably because I don't have the chops, so I have to make up for it with good tone.) But that's also half the fun!

Keep your best guitar stuff and sell the rest, and maybe some day you will want to embark on a new tone quest!

·
Premium Member
16,297 Posts
I'm kind of the opposite as I then played mostly just bass for years while only dabbling in guitar a little bit. But over the past 7 years or so I've started collecting more guitar gear and playing guitar 80% of the time. I have almost no bass gear, but what I have I like very much.

What bass gear? To me, bass was always just bass -> cord -> amp. :)

I never really got into tone chasing with bass, it was more about the parts I was playing than the sound. But guitar is all about tone chasing for me (probably because I don't have the chops, so I have to make up for it with good tone.) But that's also half the fun!

Keep your best guitar stuff and sell the rest, and maybe some day you will want to embark on a new tone quest!
I like a simple approach with bass as well, but that’s mostly the sound man in me talking.

Most bassists I know are as much about chasing tone as most guitarists.

I sure don’t like effects on bass for the most part.

P, Jazz or P/J through most decent bass amps, judiciously EQ’d and then straight to a DI (post eq) sounds great to me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts