The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
So here's a thought - what if by listening to one of the player's mentioned as having no heart, you discover something in their style, tone, etc. that speaks to you on a personal level, yes, even gets you *sniff* right there.
Are they still players without heart?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
So here's a thought - what if by listening to one of the player's mentioned as having no heart, you discover something in their style, tone, etc. that speaks to you on a personal level, yes, even gets you *sniff* right there.
Yes, and it’s means you are a tin man too.

Just kidding, you make a good point

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No one said anything about someone having no heart.

It was some players play from the head, some play from the heart.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
Hmmmm.

I'm not sure it has to be "either-or". Just because something doesn't speak to me doesn't mean that it doesn't come from the heart. And just because something is simple enough that I can actually pay it doesn't mean that it didn't come from the head. I would imagine the best players do both.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think the point of what Iommi was saying was that players are either 100% head or 100% heart, he's saying he would rather listen to players who sound like they are searching for the right note vs players who just know all the notes and it's easy for them.

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
Some of us are almost always searching for the right note--maybe too much!

As for heart vs head--how about both?
Some play from the heart, but have no head for it--and it sounds awful.
Some are technically brilliant-but boring.

I would not put Satriani in the head category--especially if you see him live.

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Registered
913 Posts
Does Satriani think it’s easy? How about Pat Metheny? Head or heart.

One man’s head could be another man’s heart.

Perhaps what Iommi means is that what Satriani plays is not what Iommi’s heart would play or wants to listen to.

At the end of the day, lets just celebrate our differences and enjoy the music that speaks to us, whether it be the head or the heart.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Yeah, does nothing for me either. Compare him to say Gilmour. Even the Beatles guitar playing wasn't inspired.
Yeah, I've been listening too some Kenny Wayne Shepherd lately. He's got some nice licks and feel to his playing as well.

The Beatles and most of that 60's era music wasn't really guitar solo oriented. I like a good combination of song plus an expressive solo to match. David Gilmour/Pink Floyd had that mastered.

Here's a great example. Keith Urban and John Mayer.

I know this is the internet and I'm not supposed to like John Mayer but this great stuff. :D

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Yeah, I've been listening too some Kenny Wayne Shepherd lately. He's got some nice licks and feel to his playing as well.

The Beatles and most of that 60's era music wasn't really guitar solo oriented. I like a good combination of song plus an expressive solo to match. David Gilmour/Pink Floyd had that mastered.

Here's a great example. Keith Urban and John Mayer.

I know this is the internet and I'm not supposed to like John Mayer but this great stuff. :D
I’ll admit to liking John Mayer. His comments around the Silver Sky were well put.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts