The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at L&M in Markham last night and they had one of the new VG Strats in. So of course I had to play it. Picked it up and right away and thought holy crap!!! This thing is heavy!! Were talking about the same as my LP maybe even more but can't say for sure. Easily the heaviest Strat I have ever played. Plugged in to the closet amp which was one of those new Mesa Express heads(didn't look at which one) into a 2x12 cab. On the normal settings it sounds(and plays) just like a american strat would so enough about that, time to turn some knobs. Modeled strat first, sounded the same. Good. But now you can change the tuning. The tuning thing is so cool, except for the 12 string. I wasn't very impressed. Some nice sounds but can sound just like you have a chorus pedal at some settings. Tele setting was pretty good but nothing amazing. The humbucker mode was pretty sweet. I really like that one being a HB guy. Nice sound in that mode, really full and and lots of punch. Acoustic mode has pretty good depending on what P/Us were being used. Nothing over the top amazing. Overall it's not bad. The alternate tuning thing is just awesome!!! Easily the best feature. But it is heavy and some sounds are just ok. Also the blue LED on the front is pretty ugly. Cost $2049. I'm thinking about getting it. I need to go back and play it some more. Right now I would only use the strat and HB modes as well as the tunings so the other might be waste.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Your review is confusing because you didn't seem all that impressed yet you are thinking of buying it?

Any thoughts on the Mesa? I am kinda interested in that amp!

The Markham store sounds great! Fresh gear released for 2007?

The Mississauga store is horrible. :mad:

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha you're right. I didn't even realize that. It is kinda of confusing. Here is what I was thinking. The weight is not a issue with me. I was just surprised. The only thing that I'm not sure about is some of the settings but I think I need more time with it. It's the tuning thing that is really selling me on it. The guitar played great and on the strat settings it sounds really good. Like I said more time with it and I might change my mind on the tele, acoustic and 12-string. I guess the reason I'm thinking of getting it has to do with that I'm currently looking for a strat. The other features are a cool bonus. Oh and the blue LED is easily fixed.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah nd the amp. It sounded pretty nice but I didn't screw around with it much. I was just checking out the guitar really and thats the amp that was right there and my buddy turned on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts