1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
definately not for the fame or money.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...if you play for fame and money, you will ultimately be disillusioned and will, more than likely, fail.

if you play because you love to play and, no doubt, have no choice in the matter, you will find fulfillment, something that fame and money cannot give you.

-dh

·
Premium Member
16,837 Posts
Money? LMAO

If I don't buy ANY gear for the rest of my life and play until I'm 90 I may just break even.

If you're in it for the money (I'm not making any judgments) you'd best prepare to play polkas, country, Little Moshi's Bar Mitzvah and any other gig you can find.

Fame? Let's not lie to ourselves. A little recognition and street rep would be nice, but that will most likely only come if you do it for the music in the first place.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm betting that even the famous and rich guitarists play because they love it. The only difference between them and the rest of us would be a combination of talent and luck. I don't have either in great abundance but I play almost every day just because it makes me feel good.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I think that if you're in it for the money, it would just seem like a job, and you'd lose interest fast.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have to go with playing for the love of guitar. I am probably more likely to get paid to stop playing. My better half thinks I should take up any instrument other than guitar...

·
Registered
3 Posts
As I did'nt take up playing untill I was 47[I'm now 49], I think its a little to late to be dreaming of a career in rock and roll now. Maybe if I practice really hard I can launch my music career at 65 in the old folks home. :rockon2:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Playing the guitar gives me an excuse to buy cool gear , but that wasn't among the choices... :tongue:

I play for the love of guitar / music .

·
Registered
737 Posts
I play for the music, there's nothing more satisfying to me than to pull off a good gig/jam/practice. The pay is ok, made $80 last fri nite, we get anywhere between $350 - $450 and that's divided 5-ways, we're booked pretty much every week up to New Year's. But that is certainly not enough to make a living and I don't need the $$ anyway, I know I wouldn't want to gig any more than twice a week, it takes a lot out of me and I have a couple other lives on the go. I know I'm going to get bored with the bar scene soon.

I just hate it when people get oh so serious about the 'biz', the money, and 'fame'. Then it's work and work sucks. I don't need any more 'fame' than I already have. Besides the music, the other driver is the whole personal development aspect like overcoming fears, meeting new people, and pushing the envelope of how I am 'supposed' to behave, what I can do, and who I am 'supposed' to be.

Mich

·
Registered
644 Posts
errr, ummm, oh yeah, I keep playing because of all the hot young groupies.:banana: LOL

Actually, I just enjoy getting out and playing some music with the guys.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts