The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a call from my local Long and McQuade store regarding the Planet Waves Humidipack. Apparently, there has been a factory recall on the Humidipacks due some of the gel packs leaking. While my own Humidipack has not leaked (yet - or if ever), I have been told that I am able to return the product for a full refund. It might be wise to check with your local music store and inquire in depth about the particular situation, while also making sure that YOUR Humidpack hasn't leaked.

This is a bummer for me as I have owned my Humidipack for close to 4 months and it has worked quite well for me. Hopefully Planet Waves will find a solution to this problem, and come out with something more improved.

·
Registered
22 Posts
can you give some more opinion on this beyond the recal? i have quite a bit of trouble trying to maintain the humidity levels in my room during the winter, even with a humidifier running with the furnace.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i'd love to find an inexpensive and, especially, easy to operate humidifier - something that requires nothing more than a daily refill of water and the occasional cleaning/replacing of the filter.

any suggestions?

-dh

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I've had good luck for two winters now with a Honeywell Model HCM-890 Series Humidifier - think it was only around $35 at the local CDN Tire. Filters aren't much either - maybe $12 for 2? It's not a huge machine either - about the size of a girthy toaster.

I keep a piece of paper on the wall about a foot above it to make sure that there's not too much moisture coming out (easy to notice the wrinkling of the paper) and it's never been a problem. There's not enough water coming out to be a mist.

My guitar room is around 12 X 14 and in the winter time it keeps it consistantly between 55-62% humidity with the gauge on another wall about 8 feet away and a foot or so higher up than the humidifier.

I just keep it on low and it's got a 2 gallon tank so it's filled up every day or two. 5 minutes to clean it every week and also change the filter (use one for a week, swap it for another and let the first one dry out, use it again the following week).

Your mileage may vary, but it's been a top notch little unit for me for a couple years now. Guess I'll have to pull it out of the closet soon.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before the Humidipack I was using an Oasis guitar humidifier. It's a small tube that you fill with water, and as your guitar starts to dry out, the tube will start to shrink - visually indicating that you need to refill the humidifier. It seems to work fine, although I think I will need to pick up another one to place underneath the headstock of my guitar as the Oasis isn't strong enough to reach the entire length of the neck.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...thank you for this!!!!

i'll stop by canadian tire tonight.

-dh

I've had good luck for two winters now with a Honeywell Model HCM-890 Series Humidifier - think it was only around $35 at the local CDN Tire. Filters aren't much either - maybe $12 for 2? It's not a huge machine either - about the size of a girthy toaster.

I keep a piece of paper on the wall about a foot above it to make sure that there's not too much moisture coming out (easy to notice the wrinkling of the paper) and it's never been a problem. There's not enough water coming out to be a mist.

My guitar room is around 12 X 14 and in the winter time it keeps it consistantly between 55-62% humidity with the gauge on another wall about 8 feet away and a foot or so higher up than the humidifier.

I just keep it on low and it's got a 2 gallon tank so it's filled up every day or two. 5 minutes to clean it every week and also change the filter (use one for a week, swap it for another and let the first one dry out, use it again the following week).

Your mileage may vary, but it's been a top notch little unit for me for a couple years now. Guess I'll have to pull it out of the closet soon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have quite a bit of trouble trying to maintain the humidity levels in my room during the winter, even with a humidifier running with the furnace.
I used to use my furnace humidifier running pretty much full and it still didn't do an adequate job - especially when the intake valve plugged up and the whole house dried out. I bought a BIONAIRE cool mist tower humidifier at Home Hardware for my guitar room and although it has to be re-filled every 2 days during the winter, it keeps my guitar room at 50% humidity faithfully. It has a digital readout and automatically turns off when the humidity is adequate. It cost about $80 and was worth every penny. I highly recommend it.

dg

·
Registered
57 Posts
I live in Ontario and it gets dry in the winter when I have my furnace running. The most effective and cheepest thing I have found is to put a moist sponge in a ziplock bag that has holes in it. Just throw this in the guitar case and I watch for any signs that the guitar is becoming too moist. Just from hearing that the humidipacks can leak is enough to keep me away from them.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I use the old style Planet Waves humidifiers that hang on the strings. I've had no problems, leaks or otherwise. You really are guessing as to when you need to re-fill it, but other than that, they've been great.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have a grover tube one. you soak it in water, dry it off, squeeze out a bit of the excess, slip it into the soundhole and it lasts about a week for me. My Humiditys pretty good though.
(the rig comes with a plastic plate that covers the sound hole and has a string attached to it so you dont lose the humidifier)

One thing I dont like is that it half touches my guitar, though the sponge doesnt. You can visibly see and feel when its dry

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
I use a Honeywell HCM-530. I bought it because you can set it to automatically maintain a % instead of just using a timer like most of them have. It seems to work really well too. When I moved into a new house, I didn't realize how dry it was until I started having issues with my guitars. After having to get 3 of them set-up, I went out and bought the humidifier.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i bought a humidifier and hygrometer at canadian tire but, its not going to work.

my studio is on a commercial property with 12' high drop ceilings. thus, my tiny humidifier is trying to humidify the entire complex. already, with a little heat on, the hygrometer has gone into the red.

oh, well. its back to storing the guitars in cases with humidpacks.

-dh

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
There are some humidifiers you can buy for large rooms, but they are a lot more expensive. They have huge water tanks in them and are pretty bulky too. The one I have is good, but it couldn't do a room any larger than this one. If I tried to, it would be going through water like crazy.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
There are some humidifiers you can buy for large rooms, but they are a lot more expensive. They have huge water tanks in them and are pretty bulky too. The one I have is good, but it couldn't do a room any larger than this one. If I tried to, it would be going through water like crazy.
...on the other hand, if i could think of a way to create a small "enclosure", just large enough to fit my guitars and the humidifier.....hmmmmm....

thoughts, anyone...?

-dh

·
Registered
1 Posts
Planet Waves Humidipak

Has there been any further developement on this matter that anyone is aware of? I really need to buy new paks but don't know if they are available. Trying to contact the company is useless. I love these things and really want to keep using them.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Has there been any further developement on this matter that anyone is aware of? I really need to buy new paks but don't know if they are available. Trying to contact the company is useless. I love these things and really want to keep using them.
I've been wondering the same. The humidipak is by far the best solution out there. I've kept using mine even though they are part of the recall.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I live in Ontario and it gets dry in the winter when I have my furnace running. The most effective and cheepest thing I have found is to put a moist sponge in a ziplock bag that has holes in it. Just throw this in the guitar case and I watch for any signs that the guitar is becoming too moist. Just from hearing that the humidipacks can leak is enough to keep me away from them.
After trying umpteen dozen humidifiers, that's what I use now, too. A lowly cellulose sponge in a zip-loc bag. Works great. I use distilled water in mine. You can get a huge jug of the stuff anywhere and it lasts forever. Trying to keep the house/guitar room humidified at 45% only resulted in mold along my ceiling! And all the other guitar humidifiers were more trouble than they were worth. Three cheers for the lowly cellulose sponge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts