The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Its a great amp! I've had mine for 2 years now and have never gassed for another amp..........well maybe the new 5150III...........but the Legacy has the tone that I've always wanted!
I don't know if you've hung out much at the Carvin forum, but you would notice that a large number of Legacy owners replaced their 5150's with the Legacy and never looked back! The Legacy does not have the high gain of a 5150, and many say it can't do metal, but it can, with a little bit of help from a pedal.
If you are after thick, creamy gains for leads, this is the amp that will do it for you! The clean channel is beautiful and takes any pedal very well.
This amp is versatile and easy to dial in tones. I would make one recommendation though. Carvin tends to bias their amps on the cold side. I had mine retubed and biased by Wild Bill and even though the amp sounded great from the factory, there was quite an improvement in tone.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I'm totally looking for something to improve the sound of my leads and well I'm not saying the 5150 can't do it, it does it rather well next to perfect, but I just want a little contrast in my sound and from the clips I've heard I think it will match very nicely.

I'd love to order a new set of tubes right from the start but no money for that now. I'll take your advice and get it biased.

Matter of opinion EL34's or 6L6's?

·
Premium Member
16,837 Posts
EL34's!!! haha who am i kidding KT77's!!!!!!!!!!

not gonna go with the X100B instead? much cheaper, and it's what Vai used before the legacy came out.

let us know how it goes

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah order is already placed.

Not trying to come off as an ass but I guess thats the problem with buying signature stuff. It's the assumption that you wanna sound like that person, I don't wanna sound like Vai but his amp has some nice tones which I think will complement the music I play. I just think its a good tone starting point to help finish off my current setup.

·
Premium Member
16,837 Posts
no doubts it will sound pretty killer :)

i still vote KT77's in the power amp for it though!

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
It's On BACKORDER!!!!
The Carvin factory is in San Diego and the fires that have been happening there affected some of their staff. I'm not sure if that is the reason for the back order but the common feeling on the Carvin board is that things may be a bit delayed there while their employees get back on their feet.
Hopefully your delivery won't be delayed long. Also, it's a good idea to call and ask as their web info is often out of date. I have a friend who bought a mixer and took delivery months ago but it still shows as on back order on the website! The carvin.com site is due for an update this week from what I hear.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya I just found out the website is updated but my account information has been erased. I gave them a call anyway and had them ship it to my girlfriends place instead.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They said they'll be in stock Nov 2. So about 5-6days after that... I presume. And ya I better not break up with her, she's paying for half!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts