The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks - just got a used Pro Junior and it is an awesome little amp for me. Pretty sure putting it in a pine cab would benefit tone but - here is the question - should I retain the original dimensions, or would it be improved by making the cab slightly larger, how about a lot larger? I would probably use three quarter inch pine or would it be better to make it even thicker? I've got a full shop so the sky's pretty much the limit in terms of what I could build so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mods to the circuit could be done at some point but that will be another thread.

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
Tweed Dlx as suggested above or even a Dlx Reverb sized cab. I used to run mine through a ZBest 2x12 and it sounded hYuge. I do recommend a speaker swap and the Fromel mods. I'm sure many kits exist but I chose Fromel and it made a difference, biggest being the tubes running cooler and the noise at idle being significantly less.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Tweed Dlx as suggested above or even a Dlx Reverb sized cab. I used to run mine through a ZBest 2x12 and it sounded hYuge. I do recommend a speaker swap and the Fromel mods. I'm sure many kits exist but I chose Fromel and it made a difference, biggest being the tubes running cooler and the noice at idle being significantly less.
Reminds me of the day I ran my Valve Junior through a 4x12 cabinet. What a massive sound from a little amp.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
I would house it in a tweed deluxe spec cabinet with room to upgrade to a single 12 inch speaker. Or possibly go a touch bigger to allow for two tens.
A guy I respect a lot says 1 x 12 is much better tone wise than 2 x 10. Especially for lower range notes.

·
Administrator
16,452 Posts
Worked out great. If I were to do it again I'd add another inch to the depth to give a bit more room for the 1x12. Still fits and sounds great though. Speaker has to be offset to accommodate the chassis.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Worked out great. If I were to do it again I'd add another inch to the depth to give a bit more room for the 1x12. Still fits and sounds great though. Speaker has to be offset to accommodate the chassis.
Wow - nice!

Very useful feedback guys - thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
I’m not being snarky here, but genuinely curious. Why do that? Why not just get a Blues Jr which already has the bigger cab and speaker and then do the circuit mods there? Is the Pro Jr a better-sounding amp when it’s in the same size cab as the BJ?

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
I’m not being snarky here, but genuinely curious. Why do that? Why not just get a Blues Jr which already has the bigger cab and speaker and then do the circuit mods there? Is the Pro Jr a better-sounding amp when it’s in the same size cab as the BJ?
it is a completely different amp. they may look similar but they sound nothing alike, I've owned both just to get my bearings

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
it is a completely different amp. they may look similar but they sound nothing alike, I've owned both just to get my bearings
Cool, thanks. Pro Jrs seem like they would be a lot of fun as a little cranked monster. When I bought my Vox AC4C1, the Pro Jr was one I tried, but with no master volume, it got loud quickly. I know 4w-15w isn’t that big of a volume jump, but it made a difference.

·
Administrator
16,452 Posts
Same here. I just like the base tone of the Pro much better. I think I've owned 3 Blues Jnr's and only one Pro Jnr, which I still have.

·
Administrator
16,452 Posts
Cool, thanks. Pro Jrs seem like they would be a lot of fun as a little cranked monster. When I bought my Vox AC4C1, the Pro Jr was one I tried, but with no master volume, it got loud quickly. I know 4w-15w isn’t that big of a volume jump, but it made a difference.
I actually like it clean. It's stays clean "just" loud enough for practice with a drummer. Takes pedals really well.

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
the biggest difference to me, in simple terms, is that the pro is tweedy and the Jr is blackfacey

blackie mcfacey, ... I need a new nameplate for mine

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I rented a Blues Junior once to try out, and wasn't a fan. (It was a long time ago though) I just picked up this Pro Junior on a trade since I needed a second amp that is small. The guy took a pedal in partial trade so I went for it. Pretty shocked to find out how much I like this amp. But I know it can be improved with a new cab, and perhaps down the road I will go for a 12 inch speaker. I'll make the cab with that in mind. Will also do the Fromel mod etc.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts