The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone burning wood for heat?

Note: A face cord is 4' high, 8' long and 16" wide.

I have almost finished moving my pile outside from last year to inside my garage connected to my house. About 20-22 face cords. I have my pile across the yard, so I load about 1/2 a cord at a time into an old van and move it to the garage.

I bought an additional 2 tandem loads of logs. I hired a guy with a portable processor to cut and split the 2 tandem loads. About 44 face cords. Half for next year and the rest for the year after. Once I finish bringing in this winter's wood I will pile the 44 cords so they will dry. Next year I will just get 1 tandem load, and I will always have wood that is dried for 2 years. I got behind last year.

So I will be piling a total of about 65 cords hopefully before December. Plus loading and unloading 20-22 cords into and out of the van. Then this winter I will carry 20-22 cords of the dry wood into the house and load it into the wood stove. I pay about $1300 per year to heat my house with wood. It's a 2 story 4 bedroom farmhouse. I wish I could get natural gas.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
That's a lot of wood.
my in-laws use wood to heat their farm house...they also have baseboard heating...but for the most part the wood heats the main level. because they're empty nest retirees, their 2nd floor is essentially closed off except when guests stay a couple times over the winter.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Yup...I buy slab wood left over from a saw mill. I bought 2 20 yard truck loads for $650 delivered. Mostly maple, walnut, oak and ash (a few pieces get smuggled into the shop). That heats us for 2 years. I do gather a few trees here and there as I can. I have about 1000 sq. ft. well insulated (2x6 walls + 3/4" isocyanurate) mobile home. I jack the furnace heat up once a year or so just to make sure it still works because it never comes on. This year I took down a large maple and will be gathering about a half dozen ash trees that are dead, so that ought to do us another year. Pretty cheap heat.

I do the moving, the wife does the stacking because when I stack, the pile falls over.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
There is no such thing as a "face cord". A piece of plywood with circles drawn on it is a "face cord", too. You are describing a third of a cord. If the pieces were one foot long it would be a quarter cord.

Just saying. Sorry it really bugs me.

Been burning wood since 1975. Its not you, its the assholes who overcharge and short-change with that "face cord" bullshit that have turned me off in the past four decades.

Please ignore my little rant. Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed imagining you busy outside in the brisk autumn air. Great time of year to get stuff done!

Keep pumping that shit into the air brother. Better than electric power from a nuclear plant. Better than natural gas from a fracked water table.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
That's a lot of wood,I burn but not as my main heat.
My small woodstove is in the basement and the oil furnace heats the main floor.('70's ranch style house)
I cut my wood off of my neighbour's bush lot and split the smaller stuff by hand.
The larger trunk sections get handled with his tractor's hydraulic splitter.
22 face cords would do me almost 3 years.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
There is no such thing as a "face cord". A piece of plywood with circles drawn on it is a "face cord", too. You are describing a third of a cord. If the pieces were one foot long it would be a quarter cord.

Been burning wood since 1975. Its not you, its the assholes who overcharge and short-change with that "face cord" bullshit that have turned me off in the past four decades.

Please ignore my little rant. Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed imagining you busy outside in the brisk autumn air. Great time of year to get stuff done!

Keep pumping that shit into the air brother. Better than electric power from a nuclear plant. Better than natural gas from a fracked water table.
Even better, go with a rocket mass heater. Less wood, can use yard clean up brush, no ashes, longer periods of radiant heating and No smoke out of the chimney. ( comes out as vapour)

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Anyone burning wood for heat?

Note: A face cord is 4' high, 8' long and 16" wide.

I have almost finished moving my pile outside from last year to inside my garage connected to my house. About 20-22 face cords. I have my pile across the yard, so I load about 1/2 a cord at a time into an old van and move it to the garage.

I bought an additional 2 tandem loads of logs. I hired a guy with a portable processor to cut and split the 2 tandem loads. About 44 face cords. Half for next year and the rest for the year after. Once I finish bringing in this winter's wood I will pile the 44 cords so they will dry. Next year I will just get 1 tandem load, and I will always have wood that is dried for 2 years. I got behind last year.

So I will be piling a total of about 65 cords hopefully before December. Plus loading and unloading 20-22 cords into and out of the van. Then this winter I will carry 20-22 cords of the dry wood into the house and load it into the wood stove. I pay about $1300 per year to heat my house with wood. It's a 2 story 4 bedroom farmhouse. I wish I could get natural gas.
Sounds like you need a small tractor with a bucket

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts

Face cord is a common expression, at least over here.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like you need a small tractor with a bucket
WE have one with a bucket, not small, but still a tractor with a bucket. It is not really helpful here, as I need to pile the wood into orderly piles so it can dry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts