The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
LOL!!! Based on some of the conversations I've had with a FEW (and I stress a few), of our neighbours to the south, that map is pretty accurate. LOL!!

Kinda reminds me of a pretty girl with big boobs and no need or desire for a mind...when you are the center of your own little world...ignorance is bliss. LOL!!

NOTE: absolutely no disrespect intended towards our female forum members - because as guitarists/musicians you are all brilliant of course.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I've had some rather unpleasant experiences with some American co-workers simply because I was Canadian, but that was due to their own personal dysfunctions, not their nationality.

G

·
Bigotry is never funny.

If you drew a similar cartoon and titled it "The World According To Jews", or "The World According To Blacks" it wouldn't be funny at all.

Why is it o.k. then to denigrate Americans?

It's not.

Evidently America doesn't have a monopoly on ignorance.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Bigotry is never funny.

If you drew a similar cartoon and titled it "The World According To Jews", or "The World According To Blacks" it wouldn't be funny at all.

Why is it o.k. then to denigrate Americans?

It's not.

Evidently America doesn't have a monopoly on ignorance.
You're right. Bigotry isn't funny. Having an innocent laugh about a common observation or misconception is. That's where comedy comes from.

Lighten up.

G

·
Ask Americans if they think this is 'innocent' or 'a laugh' and I'll wager a good chunk of them see it instead for what it really is.... thinly veiled bigotry.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Ask Americans if they think this is 'innocent' or 'a laugh' and I'll wager a good chunk of them see it instead for what it really is.... thinly veiled bigotry.
Let's play a fun game I call connect the dots.

File is here: http://www.demonbaby.com/pics/americanworld.gif

Uploaded by the owner(s) of 'Demon Baby.com'.

http://samspade.org/whois/a7zi5h77pz5knxpvhvrfzzsgpu

Registrant:
N/A
518 DeKalb Ave. 2
Brooklyn NY 11205
US

Mmkay, so that proves he's American... or atleast lives in America. Now, let's find his original post it was included in.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&s...baby.com+the+world++america&btnG=Search&meta=

Go go gadget Google!

So his post says: "To that end, something I often find dismaying about the world outside of America (here's a handy map for those of you confused as to what that might be) is the alarming lack of weird shit."

He really didn't seem offended by it... hell, maybe he's the one who originally made it? That makes 1 American that didn't find it offensive. I'll see what some American's I know think about it... I bet they laugh.

Lighten up.
+1.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I'm sure you're absolutely right. OMG. How could I have been so wrong. I mean really. That's probably why Seinfeld only lasted one season, or Will and Grace was cancelled after only one episode. Bigotry against gay men, oooooohhhhh my. How could they be so EVIL.

Or maybe "Little Mosque on the Prairie" will spark a revolution in the Muslim world that will lead to extremist groups level Toronto's Financial District.

Maybe CBC's Rick Mercer should be prosecuted in your "moral court" for being such a bigot. I mean really - that guy makes fun of everybody.

Maybe police should be allowed to arrest anyone that makes the "donut joke". How about that.

ClintonHammond - the last thing the world needs is yet another preacher trying push his/her views or "morals" on everyone else.

Once again....LIGHTEN UP!!

G

·
I'm disgusted by the "Canadian" pastime of bigotry toward Americans.

When the shoe's on the other foot, they wine and suck and cry "You can't say things like that about us" but Canadians are all too willing to shout "Hey... look how dumb Americans are!" as if it's part of our constitution. And your cries of "Lighten Up" only serve to prove my point.

It's pathetic.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but if an American laughs at 'us' or me I would just laugh it off... hell, I do that with ANYONE. And if they made a picture like that about Canada / Canadian's I would probably laugh at that too... it's not exactly a big deal. Everyone from the US on my MSN list that I've shown that picture to laughed as well...

Judging by the posts of yours I've read you just need to pull the stick out of your ass and lighten up dude... not everything has to be, or is, politically correct. Get over it lol.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I'm disgusted by the "Canadian" pastime of bigotry toward Americans.

When the shoe's on the other foot, they wine and suck and cry "You can't say things like that about us" but Canadians are all too willing to shout "Hey... look how dumb Americans are!" as if it's part of our constitution. And your cries of "Lighten Up" only serve to prove my point.

It's pathetic.
Can't really recall the "You can't say things like that about us" situation. I actually find it quite funny when I hear the US interpretation of a Canadian - "Eh" - usually at the wrong time in the sentence or when I hear the Igloo jokes, moose jokes, the mountie jokes etc...

Until something becomes a massive campaign to sway public opinion or promote prejudice, sometimes a simple observation based on recent publicized events is kinda funny. Ha. Ha.

No pontificating required.

I don't need to be saved. :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Well, if it is bigotry it certainly isn't veiled, even thinly. Its most obviously satire. It may be exaggerated but there is truth behind it. That's what satire is. If there was no obvious truth behind it people wouldn't find it funny, then you might be able to call it bigotry.

How Americans, or anybody, views the world is how they are viewed in the world. The world stage has a tough audience.

This seems to have an American origin but even if it doesn't it is still brilliant satire IMHO.

P.S. note the complete absence of the continent of Africa. Haha!

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Well, if it is bigotry it certainly isn't veiled, even thinly. Its most obviously satire. It may be exaggerated but there is truth behind it. That's what satire is. If there was no obvious truth behind it people wouldn't find it funny, then you might be able to call it bigotry.

How Americans, or anybody, views the world is how they are viewed in the world. The world stage has a tough audience.

This seems to have an American origin but even if it doesn't it is still brilliant satire IMHO.

P.S. note the complete absence of the continent of Africa. Haha!
I didn't even notice that. LOL!! That's hilarious!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Can the admins give Clinton Hammond the custom title of "Staff Grump"? I actually find most of his complaining quite amusing :smile:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts