The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
Its been a while since I've posted here.. glad to be back I tell ya :banana:

Been really busy with work and just life in general.. and the fact of trying to get things moving for the current band/project I am with now.

anyways.. here are pics of the current rig I am using:

I am looking to maybe adding a rack tuner to the rig and maybe rackmount the MXR booster on a tray.. but at the sametime, I might leave things as they are and maybe add some "interesting" pedals on the floor board. maybe a Digitech Whammy or something along of those lines.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I think you've got a pretty cool setup. A buddy of mind just switched over to a rack setup and he really seems to like it. I like your guitars. How do you like the King V? I've been thinking of adding one into my fold (I've got two other V's now).

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Nice stuff dude... if you don't mind me askin', how much did that V cost you? She looks REALLY nice.

I'm a complete rack noob, what's all that stuff do? I've been wondering about that stuff lately, always forget to ask about it. Since the bottom part matches the cabinet, I'll assume it's some sort of amp? Haha! One's a noise gate I think, but I can't make out the others.

Again, very nice! Any chance of sound clips?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ripper said:
I think you've got a pretty cool setup. A buddy of mind just switched over to a rack setup and he really seems to like it. I like your guitars. How do you like the King V? I've been thinking of adding one into my fold (I've got two other V's now).
Thanks Ripper. I like rack setups for their flexability... and the fact that I personally havent found an actual amp (head or combo) that gives me the same tone.

I like the King V alot.. it has a really nice neck.. The tone of the EMGs I am not too big on, but it works great in drop D tuning. Thats what I mainly use it for. the lespaul is for standard tuning. But sometimes I go back and forth between them.

:rockon2:

Cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
violation said:
Nice stuff dude... if you don't mind me askin', how much did that V cost you? She looks REALLY nice.

I'm a complete rack noob, what's all that stuff do? I've been wondering about that stuff lately, always forget to ask about it. Since the bottom part matches the cabinet, I'll assume it's some sort of amp? Haha! One's a noise gate I think, but I can't make out the others.

Again, very nice! Any chance of sound clips?
Thanks man!

I got a really good deal on the V. it cost me $500cnd for the guitar with case and EMGs (81 and 85).

My rack setup is pretty simple actully. From top to bottom it goes:
- ADA MP-1 3TM: Tube Preamp. Where I get my distortion and clean sounds.
- ISP Decimator: Rackmount Noise Gate
- ART SP4x4: Power Conditioner
- Rocktron Replifex: Multieffects Unit
- VHT 2502: All tube poweramp

Basicly, if you were take to the ADA MP-1 3TM and the VHT 2502, put them together, you'll pretty much have an "amp head". Because thats what makes an amp. A preamp and a poweramp. Then comes all the extra stuff like Effects, Gate, etc..

You can find a tune (Home Sick) I just re-recorded guitars for here.. Just for fun sake:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=187557

enjoy!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Duke of Metal said:
I like the King V alot.. it has a really nice neck.. The tone of the EMGs I am not too big on, but it works great in drop D tuning. Thats what I mainly use it for. the lespaul is for standard tuning. But sometimes I go back and forth between them.
I've been eyeing up a King V but I'm leaning towards an RR3 at the moment. It's an age/Randy Rhoads thing. The neck on those are super. I know what you mean about the EMGs. I had a 81 and a 85 and got rid of them, didn't like the tone, or lack of really.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
violation said:
That's not too bad of a price. Nice playin' in that tune, rig sounds great. Thanks for the rack info too!
yeah.. it was a real good price, and at the time I needed a backup guitar and that came along.. so I thought why not.

Thanks! I tell ya.. I get some pretty ripping tones out of this rack.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Duke, nice clip!!

I have also been looking at a Jackson V but with the SD-JB PU's..Some models come with bridge JB and also neck JB, others come with bridge JB and neck 59.

You will need to change your pots if you go that way. I made the change a few weeks ago to the JB and 59. The guitar is now 1000 times better.. usable from nice blues to heavy palm muted Death Metal. This was in my EPI Zakk Wylde LP.

Bev

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bevo said:
Duke, nice clip!!

I have also been looking at a Jackson V but with the SD-JB PU's..Some models come with bridge JB and also neck JB, others come with bridge JB and neck 59.

You will need to change your pots if you go that way. I made the change a few weeks ago to the JB and 59. The guitar is now 1000 times better.. usable from nice blues to heavy palm muted Death Metal. This was in my EPI Zakk Wylde LP.

Bev
hey Bev,
Thanks! the Jackson came pre-installed with EMGs from the previous owners. he put the EMGs in there and I believe everything was changed along with that (pots, etc..).

The Lespaul Custom I have came with stock Epiphone pickups, but I repalced the bridge pickup to a Duncan distortion. my all time favorite passive pickup. I am not picky about neck pickups and the one in there does the job very well.

Whats your rig? Where abouts in Toronto are you?

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts