The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a les paul stlye guitar and i would like to up grade my pickups,i play mainly classic rock. what would be a good set up and where can i get them thanks gordon

·
Registered
874 Posts
Many people would recomend Seymour Duncan PUs. Various combonations with the right amp can sound sweet. I have a Jazz/Custom 5 combo in my Ibanez. Also Dimarzio makes some nice ones. You can also get into various hand wound products from Canadian, US and European sources. Do a google search and listen to some sound clips. Your local music shop may carry some brands and you can always order online. Remember the amp being used will be significant in creating your tone.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Check the dealer emporium, there are some custom wound ones available there and they are made in Canada. Lots to choose from WCR,Wolfetone,Lollar,Fralin etc... like tarl said go to there sites and check out sound clips... happy hunting..

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would highly recommend WCR Fillmores but they aren't cheap. Around $280 USD for a pair. For major bang for the buck, get a SD Custom Custom for the bridge and a Custom for the neck. That's what I have in my Hamer Monaco Elite. Simply amazing.

:rockon:

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
Have a look in the dealers section, JS moore handwound pickups. You can ask him for any combination you want, or if you don't know he'll help you out. I think he charges about 200 CAN per pair, which is way cheaper than duncan and gibson, and his pickups are fantastic (especially his V59 PAF's, if you like vintage, WOW) I have two sets.

·
Registered
101 Posts
zdogma said:
Have a look in the dealers section, JS moore handwound pickups. You can ask him for any combination you want, or if you don't know he'll help you out. I think he charges about 200 CAN per pair, which is way cheaper than duncan and gibson, and his pickups are fantastic (especially his V59 PAF's, if you like vintage, WOW) I have two sets.
Do you mean Duncan handwounds? If not, Duncans are a lot less cheaper than the price you quoted. I picked up 2 NIB humbuckers from a store on e-bay for $140 USD shipped. No duties or taxes either.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
sw686blue said:
Do you mean Duncan handwounds? If not, Duncans are a lot less cheaper than the price you quoted. I picked up 2 NIB humbuckers from a store on e-bay for $140 USD shipped. No duties or taxes either.
Both, actually. I'm just basing that on (approximate) guitar shop pricing for SD pickups.

When I bought my last set from Jon, Duncans were 240/pair at Steve's or L&M, the Seth's 300/pair and the handwounds more. Gibson 57 Classics were about 240 per pair last time I checked. All in canadian dollars plus tax. I think Jon charges 170 per pair+shipping (or so, i can't remember the exact number).

Flea bay prices are a bit unpredictable, so its hard to use them for reference. 140 usd per pair is a great deal, BTW.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
What make of guitar is it? How much do you want to put into upgrades?

·
Registered
300 Posts
there's also Joe Barden pickups which are really expensive. 400 US per pair I believe.

Bareknuckle Pickups is also a good one to look into. On their forum theres tons of user clips. I own a set of "mules" and it cost me $335.00 shipping and everything included. Dont let the prices on their site scare you because the british (17.5%) tax is included. The company owner answers all email in person and he is extremely helpful. They also have the biggest selection of pickups of all the other custom manufacturers I've seen so far. Either way, it's worth looking into..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's lp copy made by nrj,a new canadian company, i just love the feel of this guitar and it sounds great. but i have a lot of feed back and was told by a dealer to up grade my pickups. as far as price goes 250 would be cool .

·
Registered
154 Posts
pup hum

before you start to spend a lot of money, make sure the pups are grounded to the tail piece or bridge (strings).A2in. piece of 28gu. wire will do.
i've heard a lot of guitars cheap and very expensive ,hum like a B ,if this wire gets cut, broken,or removed.
let me know.

good luck
jimmy peters

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
If you like the sound of the pickups and it's just the feedback that's bugging you, why not pot them? It's not difficult to do and it would be easy to do a Google search to find a tutorial or two.

Jim

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
There's a pair of '57 Classics in the For Sale section for $160. IMO they are really good pickups.

P

·
0 Posts
its hard to go wrong with a duncan JB in a mahogany bodied guitar.

that or if you can find an old bill lawrence L500 or even the fabled L90XL.

but go old not new if lawrence... the pickups are not made the same as they were backin the '70s & 80s...theyre not potted in epoxy as they once did. and I think they are more micorphonic as a result.

·
All the way to ten
936 Posts
googy36 said:
it's lp copy made by nrj,a new canadian company, i just love the feel of this guitar and it sounds great. but i have a lot of feed back and was told by a dealer to up grade my pickups. as far as price goes 250 would be cool .
Check the screws on the baseplate, the four little ones that hold the bobbins on. They are notorious for loosening up and that might be the problem. If you like the sound getting them potted is no problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts