The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... almost done my Frankencaster... body was found in the trash, old '90s Yamaha RGX220. Pickups I tested on the multimeter and seemed to be ok so kept those. Rest of the pots and switches were trashed... push/pull was broken on one, other was rusty.

I used a diagram from Seymour Duncan. Seemed to work just fine, except my green wires were blue. Otherwise, wired up the same.

No strings, I plugged it in to see if it worked and tapped the pickups with a small metal screwdriver and they seem to work just fine. Tap comes through the amp loud an clear, 3-way works, split even works.

I put the high and low E strings on so I can test it out, and shim the locking top nut (neck was pre-routed and I could tell the route was too low, buzzes at the 1st fret so bought shims in advanced).

Plugged the guitar in to tune the 2 strings, and absolutely nothing on my tuner. Plugged into the amp, not a single noise. I tap the pickups with the screwdriver and very loud and clear noise from the amp, pluck a string and zilch.

???

I am completely stumped. I figured if the screwdriver/metal made a noise then it's done. Not sure what to try at this point. Again... tapping them with a screwdriver, 3-way works and coil-split works so assuming wiring is correct.

Wiring Diagram

·
Premium Member
17,325 Posts
Plugged the guitar in to tune the 2 strings, and absolutely nothing on my tuner. Plugged into the amp, not a single noise. I tap the pickups with the screwdriver and very loud and clear noise from the amp, pluck a string and zilch.

???
Nylon strings? ...j/k ...couldn't resist...sorry...warped sense of humour

This is certainly one for the books. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

I'll be following this thread with interest.

Please solve it soon ...I don't do well with suspense.

Good Luck with it.

Cheers

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
The pickup wires colours are different for different pickups. Chances are if you are using a Duncan wiring diagram for pickups that aren't Duncan's something is soldered on the wrong spots.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I had the wiring incorrect... would I still get sound in the amp when I tap them with a screwdriver?

When tapping, the sound comes through loud and clear. When I pull the volume knob and tap the pickups, only one row works on each pickup, and the 3-way turns them on/off as well.

I figured if wired wrong, even tapping with a screw driver would produce 0 noise.

That said I have no idea what brand of pickups these are... mine are black/white/red/blue/bare... no green. I assume the original Yamaha's.

·
Premium Member
17,325 Posts
I think you might have an Ibanez humbucker...maybe this digram will help.

Admittedly, I still can't understand what is happening.

Some time ago, I was doing some wiring with @laristotle on a guitar for one of his friends. We had unusual/atypical wire colours in some old humbuckers and were trying to wire push-pull pots to coil split them. I would be residing in a chronic psych facility if it wasn't for @laristotle sorting out the wiring. I will be forever indebted to him for being able to live 'happily ever after' that wiring experience! I don't get along with push-pull pots!

L

·
0 Posts
I remember that mess @greco. We both swore off on doing that kind of work, didn't we? lol.
I did a trial n' error with that till it was correct.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before I start unsoldering... could it be something with the pickups? like... magnets are strong enough to detect direct metal-on-metal contact (screwdriver tapping) but not strong enough to detect strings vibrating?

Outside my skillset... never really did something like this before... just a strat and that was very easy because the old wiring/pickups were intact and well, wiring very straight forward online for those.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Before I start unsoldering... could it be something with the pickups? like... magnets are strong enough to detect direct metal-on-metal contact (screwdriver tapping) but not strong enough to detect strings vibrating?

Outside my skillset... never really did something like this before... just a strat and that was very easy because the old wiring/pickups were intact and well, wiring very straight forward online for those.
I find the 4 wire pickups are always a headache.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just odd that tapping with metal makes sound... always just assumed that if wired wrong, you'd get no sound at all, or sound but split won't work, etc... being 20yrs old and found in the trash at the side of the road, just wondering if can be fixed.

That said, if I do buy a pair of new ones... just normal regular humbuckers and a pair of normal 500k pots. No push/pull nonsense or split pickups. :)

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
I have wired pickups every wrong way possible I think. i would give it a shot with the ibanez config above since it only takes 2 minutes to switch them.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well... bit more than two... kinda made the wires a bit short and really got stuff crammed in there. :D

I took photos of the old wiring and pots, well, what was left anyways... will try to draw/recreate what's there and then take the Ibanez and the Seymour diagrams and see if anything makes sense before I start anything. hoping be as simple as swapping say the red and blue around or something.

Will give it a shot tonight and post what happens. :)

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Well... bit more than two... kinda made the wires a bit short and really got stuff crammed in there. :D

I took photos of the old wiring and pots, well, what was left anyways... will try to draw/recreate what's there and then take the Ibanez and the Seymour diagrams and see if anything makes sense before I start anything. hoping be as simple as swapping say the red and blue around or something.

Will give it a shot tonight and post what happens. :)
Looks like try leaving blue as ground but the red white and black all need to switch.

·
Administrator
15,978 Posts
If I had the wiring incorrect... would I still get sound in the amp when I tap them with a screwdriver?

When tapping, the sound comes through loud and clear. When I pull the volume knob and tap the pickups, only one row works on each pickup, and the 3-way turns them on/off as well.

I figured if wired wrong, even tapping with a screw driver would produce 0 noise.

That said I have no idea what brand of pickups these are... mine are black/white/red/blue/bare... no green. I assume the original Yamaha's.
Up until about 2 minutes ago I would have agreed with this post :)

VERY strange!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I remember that mess @greco. We both swore off on doing that kind of work, didn't we? lol.
I did a trial n' error with that till it was correct.
I wonder if a decent and easy way to make some sorta pickup wire testing board.... glue down a few pots and switches and wire up to some connectors that are easy to attach wires to without soldering.

Sorta reminding me of a kit I use to have as a little kid... had springs all over it that you could bend and stick wires into.

Of course, only makes sense if I plan to wire up a lot of guitars I guess. :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Didn't get the chance to work on this last night... but did find a good how-to video for using a multimeter for sorting out the colour codes of the wiring so will check that out first, and see if the colours match the Ibanez.

Tried to find info about the pickups last night as well with no luck. Saw a few comments that sounded like Yamaha made their own, but spec details, nothing.

Someone needs to make a virtual wiring app and pickup database. Someone... not me. :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In another forum for this as well... not getting near as much info from it, except one guy said to wire a pickup direct to the jack just to test if it even works.

Probably also a good idea.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does it matter if the VOL or TONE is used for the push/pull splitter?

Still hadn't the chance to attack the wiring, but came across another diagram, similar, but has the push/pull as the Tone, which I think the Yamaha had originally because the 0.047uf cap was soldered to the push/pull.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts