The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my pups (they were stock pickups on a American made Tele) to a Vintage stack - neck (Seymour Duncan) and Little '59 also made by Seymour Duncan). Nice and quiet and very responsive but I find the guitar has lost some of that "twangy", "glassy" sound characteristic of a Tele. It sounds too much like a guitar with humbuckers. Yes, I did wire the bridge coils together to make it a single coil type.

Any opinions or suggestions? What about Lindy Fralin Pups?

Bogoboy...

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'd keep the neck pickup and try either an Original Vintage or Nocaster in the bridge. I have Kinman Avn 48's in my Tele and love them. A lot of the traditional Tele sound with no noise. This guy happens to have a set of Kinman's for sale right now, saw his ad on an Ottawa website, he is looking for $175 for the set.
[email protected] might be worth a try. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Kinmans!!!! I put them on my Laredo to replace the Duncan's, mainly to reduce hum, and I couldn't believe the improvement.... Quiet, Bright, Aggressive: real traditional tele, sans hum. One thing I learned from the experience is to set them up following the manufacturers specs, as a very small change in height can make a big change in tone.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I like the Texas tele custom shop pups.... nice tone lots of bite. You can also wire up the 4way switch mod and get the extra punch..

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Amalfitano pickups TP set (from Texas) for a more modern sound, and Jason Lollar's vintage tele set. Both are great.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like people favor the Kinmans- I'm concerned about the noise reduction and how it changes the sound. Any single coil suggestions?? On the same subject- my son has a '62 reissue Strat, he finds the bridge pup as harsh as a dentist's drill (too much treble).

Any advice?

Bogoboy

·
Premium Member
5,121 Posts
I am a member on a couple of the Fender forums. I plan on putting Keystones into my Tele after reading about them on there.

One thing I have read about noiseless pickups is while they sound good in their own way, they won't sound like vintage Tele pickups. Noise is just a part of that sound.

You could try sheilding your Tele and see if that helps.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I put a fralin bridge tele pup in my asat & it sounds amazing, I would recommend them :banana:

·
Registered
611 Posts
i had the same set up in my tele, the stack neck and the 59 bridge but with a 4 way switch as well.

liked it but, same as you, wanted something more tele-ish. however, i still wanted something with more ouput and a little less bright to put it between my strat and my humbucker guitars.

so i'm waiting on a set of texas specials which i'll wire up with the 4 way as well.

as for the strat bridge. i have the same guitar and the same opinion of the bridge. i wired the guitar such that the 2nd tone cuts affects both the mid and bridge pickups. i roll it back to about 80% and it seems to help.

my last strat had a little 59 in the bridge as well and i liked it then too. i just want this strat to stay somewhat more traditional.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
exhausted said:
i had the same set up in my tele, the stack neck and the 59 bridge but with a 4 way switch as well.

liked it but, same as you, wanted something more tele-ish. however, i still wanted something with more ouput and a little less bright to put it between my strat and my humbucker guitars.

so i'm waiting on a set of texas specials which i'll wire up with the 4 way as well.

as for the strat bridge. i have the same guitar and the same opinion of the bridge. i wired the guitar such that the 2nd tone cuts affects both the mid and bridge pickups. i roll it back to about 80% and it seems to help.

my last strat had a little 59 in the bridge as well and i liked it then too. i just want this strat to stay somewhat more traditional.
I don't think I like the idea of some complex wiring (strat) I will probably just buy a new pup. Keep me posted on how you like the "Texas Specials".

Bogoboy

·
Premium Member
5,121 Posts
Ya post what you think of the Specials. I couldn't stand them in the CIJ 52' RI I had. I swapped them out for Seymore Duncan Broadcaster. The SD's still had nice bite, but weren't as harsh as the Texas Specials. Way more 'tele sounding' to my ears. And way more appropriate for a 52' RI.

·
Premium Member
16,576 Posts
I expect to incur the wrath of the cork sniffers with this response, but having tried a number of conventional (passive) Tele pup combinations, I have settled on an EMG set (alnico bridge, ceramic neck) and find them to be the most Tele-esque I have ever used.

Of course, in addition to the tone, they're virtually SILENT in terms of hum and being internally grounded, they add a degree of safety to those who choose not to use wireless units.

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
I post this a little while ago but it's still relevant:

"The best pickups I've ever used on a Tele are original Joe Bardens; next to those I really like Bill Lawrences pickups. I have his L-280TN and L-290TL in my walnut Tele. Classic Tele sound without the shrillness I've found in other aftermarket pickups from some of the bigger companies. And these can rock also. Lean into them and you get a nice crunch; And tied for 2nd are the Fralin Blues Specials which are on my favorite Tele, My Muddy Water's edition Tele."

·
Premium Member
5,121 Posts
Ya the Keystones I am planning on trying are Biill Lawrence pickups. They are a special order though, and they don't have them listed on the site.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Tarbender said:
I post this a little while ago but it's still relevant:
"The best pickups I've ever used on a Tele are original Joe Bardens; next to those I really like Bill Lawrences pickups. I have his L-280TN and L-290TL in my walnut Tele. Classic Tele sound without the shrillness I've found in other aftermarket pickups from some of the bigger companies. And these can rock also. Lean into them and you get a nice crunch; And tied for 2nd are the Fralin Blues Specials which are on my favorite Tele, My Muddy Water's edition Tele."
...have you ntoiced any loss of sustain using noiseless pickups vs traditional single coils?

-dh

·
Registered
96 Posts
Suhr Broadcaster bridge and neck...WOW! Fatter sixties sort of sound, clear and chimey but no icepick. Noise is part of the inherent sound of a Tele; I've got some really nice "modern" guitars, but "retro" is state-of-the-art for a Tele! Tried 'em all, back to the basics.-Eric

·
Premium Member
16,576 Posts
Eric Pykala said:
Noise is part of the inherent sound of a Tele

LOL, you can have it.

Polution, inefficiency and unreliability were all among the inherent properties of early cars too.:rockon:

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Yes, those Suhr pickups do the trick for me as well, but havent tried them in anything other than a Suhr guitar. Has anybody? Say, in a project tele?

Played this 1950 Broadcaster one time - just through an eighties evil twin - never forgot that tele tone. No icepick, beautiful twang on the wound strings and lots of authority on the high strings. Strong overall output as I recall; guess I am describing my ideal tele tone. Am still looking....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts