The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an Epiphone Dot guitar and would like to change the pickups, but I don't have any idea what to get.

I guess it's to play heavier stuff, but I'd like them to be pretty versatile as well. I'd guess that the pickups should be potted since it's for a hollowbody?

:bow:

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
This is a 335 style guitar right?

I put SD 59s and a RS Guitarworks complete electronics kit in my Agile 335 clone and was AMAZED! Wow, this things sounds freakin unreal and I have owned some great guitars (US Strat, US Les Paul etc).

My advice would be to upgrade the electronics while doing the pickup swap (especially on a semi because they are a pain to work on).

TG

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
This is a 335 style guitar right?

I put SD 59s and a RS Guitarworks complete electronics kit in my Agile 335 clone and was AMAZED! Wow, this things sounds freakin unreal and I have owned some great guitars (US Strat, US Les Paul etc).

My advice would be to upgrade the electronics while doing the pickup swap (especially on a semi because they are a pain to work on).

TG
I second that motion. I have SD59's in my Epi Dot 335 and they sound fantastic. Sound great for blues, AC/DC, Foo Fighters type stuff - very versatile. I just wish that I had bought covered pups (for the look).

As for the electronics, that's my next move on the next string change.

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
i have an ibanez talman semi hollow i put prs dragon pickups in it, and it sounds great, might be the ticket for you, and they tend to be not too crazy money. the above suggestions are excellent, definitely replace the wiring/pots or you're putting leaded gas in a porsche. a duncan jb and 59 is a very common hard rock pickup setup, too. best o luck

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Another option would be to contact our very own JS Moore, a talented pickup builder who is a regular poster on here. If you can describe what you are looking for he can build you something to suit. I got him to build me a pair of PAF style pickups for my PRS CE22 and I am very happy with him. You might also be surprised by price - comparable to Seymour Duncan prices and hand made:

JS Moore

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I put a set of Highorder pups in my Epi Sheraton II and have never looked back. They are very responsive and pricing is not to bad. Only downside is the wait but it is worth it. The JS Moore suggestion is also a good one.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here's my vote: step up that amp. :)
Yeah I hear ya. I'm waiting for s decent used amp so right now my friend is letting me use his Mesa.

I wish I could actually try these pickups. Anyone have experience with these setups?

NECK: Seymour Duncan '59
BRIDGE: Seymour Duncan Custom Custom

NECK: Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro
BRIDGE: Seymour Duncan Distortion

1 - 9 of 9 Posts