The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
17,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been messing around with these two guitars for a some time now. The Newsom I've had for years and I've tried countless pairs of humbuckers in it but it's never been "quite right" until now. I picked up a pair of '57 Classics from @Hamstrung at the Elmira show this year and decided to give them a try. Instant bliss. I can't believe the transformation, a perfect match for this guitar. It had a pair of Tone Emporium TE-20's in it that I was going to sell but after looking around the room I spied the Gordon Smith sitting forlornly on the wall. Love that guitar, it's light, plays easy, and has a great neck humbucker, but i really don't like the bridge. What the hell, I thought, why not try the TE's in there? perfect. Guitar sounds much bigger and richer in both positions. Win win.

I've been experimenting with pick up changes for well over 20 years and I think these 2 have been by far the most satisfying, and I didn't have to spend $400 per pickup either.

Horses for Courses, as they say.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I've been messing around with these two guitars for a some time now. The Newsom I've had for years and I've tried countless pairs of humbuckers in it but it's never been "quite right" until now. I picked up a pair of '57 Classics from @Hamstrung at the Elmira show this year and decided to give them a try. Instant bliss. I can't believe the transformation, a perfect match for this guitar. It had a pair of Tone Emporium TE-20's in it that I was going to sell but after looking around the room I spied the Gordon Smith sitting forlornly on the wall. Love that guitar, it's light, plays easy, and has a great neck humbucker, but i really don't like the bridge. What the hell, I thought, why not try the TE's in there? perfect. Guitar sounds much bigger and richer in both positions. Win win.

I've been experimenting with pick up changes for well over 20 years and I think these 2 have been by far the most satisfying, and I didn't have to spend $400 per pickup either.

Horses for Courses, as they say.
Glad the '57's worked out so well for you!

·
Administrator
17,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will proudly note that Tone Emporium is an Ottawa company.
Everything I've purchased from them have been really good. The Tele pups that are in the Tele I have for sale right now are just excellent. I think value for dollar is unsurpassed.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I am not surprised at all to be honest. I was amazed how much influence on tone has just the PICK.
And then again was very surprised when I checked how much influence on tone has pickup height.
and... I bet the pickups itself (as Dave noted) can make huge difference.

For me - the electric guitar (without pickups) is just playability thing.
Pickups (type, height, controls) are the tone source.
And the biggest tone influence is the amp.
Of course all in my opinion :)

·
Registered
825 Posts
I put a pair of Tone Emporium 52 style tele pickups in my tele (who would have guessed), and they completely wow'd me.
Great pickups from a great company.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Every guitar i have owned in the past 5 years has seen pickup upgrades and yes, they do make a difference, sometimes not to my liking but most of the time.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
my 2 favorite pick ups are the 57 classics, and the super 58s by ibanez. i'm not surprised at all that you like the gibbys. they're a great pick up that can be had at a reasonable price used.

·
Administrator
17,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my 2 favorite pick ups are the 57 classics, and the super 58s by ibanez. i'm not surprised at all that you like the gibbys. they're a great pick up that can be had at a reasonable price used.
Yep, I have the Classics in my SG which is why I bought these from Dan in the first place, they are also great in that guitar.

·
Administrator
17,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Havent heard about the Newsom in a while!
Still here and still going nowhere, it's not something i could sell. Really pleased to find the right pups for it though, it will see a lot more play time now.

Reactions: Budda

·
Registered
15,763 Posts
Definitely the pickups do change things
My Les Paul copy sat unused for a long time & I let someone borrow it
I did some tweaks on other parts for the playability--but when I decided to dedicate a guitar to open tunings I used it--but put in new pickups (& some other upgrades)
But sound wise the pickups made a huge difference & I play it a lot more now.

Reactions: davetcan
1 - 17 of 17 Posts