The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a 335 type guitar with burtbuckers in it. BB2/3

they sound horrible. just muddy and not articulate.

In the past I have always gone to JS Moore, but i dont know that he's still winding.

it seems there are a million pickup winders now and they all want 300USD for a set.

looking to spend about $200 for PAF range pickups. what do all y'all recommend?

·
Premium Member
17,196 Posts
What about used? Should be able to find a pair of SD 59's or dimarzio 36th anniversaries for that much or less.

Reactions: Smylight

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about used? Should be able to find a pair of SD 59's or dimarzio 36th anniversaries for that much or less.
ive been looking for used dimarzio 36's for a while and never see them pop up.

not a fan of the SD59's. love the antiquities though.

Humbucker_pickups

The Sweet V59's would be my first choice.
will add these to the short list. have you used them yourself?

·
Premium Member
All the usual suspects...
207 Posts
I have owned an original '59 Les Paul for close to 30 years. When I sold it, I very carefully chose an R8 that had an acoustic ring and feel close to my old boy, then I went on a pickup-swapping binge from a LOT of winders until I found something that sounded like it. Guess what? I settled on Duncan’s lowly 59s. The bridge was a wee bit less powerful than the one that lived in my old boy, but the resulting tone was a lot closer to it than two other old LPs belonging to friends I have tried and heard a lot (a 58 and a 60).

So, while some might not like 59s from SD, be aware that it IS a mighty fine PAF replica-style pickup. I've been installing this baby in many of my customer’s guitars for many years and no-one, to this day, has ever been dissatisfied with it.

Just goes to say, trust your own ears, not your wallet.

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I had Seymour Duncan SH-1-0r-2 (Pearly Gates) and SH-4... on the Sheraton I let go last Summer...

·
Premium Member
5,320 Posts
will add these to the short list. have you used them yourself?
Yes, I have been using a set of them for 3 to 4 years in a 335 clone. I like them so much, I recently acquired a second set.

Unfortunately, I sold the 335 a while back (but kept the pickups). If I hadn't, you could just come over play it/hear them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My brother put a pair of Suhr Thornbuckers in an Epi Dot and they sound fantastic. Very articulate with a great vintage vibe and still hot enough for hard rock/light metalish tones.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Craig Vineham!! I have one of his PAF clones in the Neck of my Standard. Very happy with it

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
My next set of pickups, if I ever decide to buy humbuckers with be Monty's PAF's but they cost a freaking fortune coming from the UK. But damn!!! they sound so fricking sweet!!! Starts playing around the 8 minute mark.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I have been using a set of them for 3 to 4 years in a 335 clone. I like them so much, I recently acquired a second set.

Unfortunately, I sold the 335 a while back (but kept the pickups). If I hadn't, you could just come over play it/hear them.
darn. thats too bad!!

i might have to take the plunge and grab a set.

worst case, I have a set of JS moores in my parts caster I can put in the 335 and the vinehams in the pastscaster if they arent waht im looking for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts