The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I got a 1974 elDegas GB23. The sound of this guitar is just fantastic. I would like to install a pickup on it but I do not want anything too intrusive but it also need to be capable to give a good rending of the sound of my guitar. It will not use it in a full band environment but in a acoustic band, so not in a huge sound level.

I am a little bit lost in all the types and models of pickups available so a little help will be appreciate.

Thanks!

PS: Apologize my approximative english, it's not my native language

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
I have K&K in 4 guitars. Don't cost much, minimal intrusion and I installed them myself w/out difficulty.

·
Premium Member
12,184 Posts
If you are willing to drill out the endpin for a 1/4" plug, there are a few internal pickups that work great, like the K&K Mini (as mentioned by @Wardo ). If you don't want to modify the guitar, there a few soundhole 'clip-in' pickups that would probably work just fine as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How is the feedback with the K&K pickups?

EDIT: I have an other question about the K&K, do I need a preamp pedal with this pickup?

·
Premium Member
12,184 Posts
How is the feedback with the K&K pickups?

EDIT: I have an other question about the K&K, do I need a preamp pedal with this pickup?
I'm not sure about all of there pickups, but the K&K Mini I have requires a preamp. I also have a couple of high-Z inputs on my console (PA system) so I can go straight into that, but that isn't very common. I use a LR Baggs Para-DI partially to load the pickup correctly (it wants a high-Z input) but also because ........

............yes, feedback is a significant issue if you turn up an acoustic, with any pickup. An acoustic is 'alive' compared to a solid or even semi-hollow electric. Any volume is just asking for some squealing or howling. The ParaDI has a couple of parametric EQ sections that helps dial out resonant feedback without flattening out the whole sound. And every room is different, so the EQ has to be quite dialable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure about all of there pickups, but the K&K Mini I have requires a preamp. I also have a couple of high-Z inputs on my console (PA system) so I can go straight into that, but that isn't very common. I use a LR Baggs Para-DI partially to load the pickup correctly (it wants a high-Z input) but also because ........

............yes, feedback is a significant issue if you turn up an acoustic, with any pickup. An acoustic is 'alive' compared to a solid or even semi-hollow electric. Any volume is just asking for some squealing or howling. The ParaDI has a couple of parametric EQ sections that helps dial out resonant feedback without flattening out the whole sound. And every room is different, so the EQ has to be quite dialable.
Thanks man!
For the feedback, I have a Seagull entourage rustic with the piezo and preamp inclued. I was wondering how the K&K is intend to feed compared with a piezo. Cool, I have fiew high-Z inputs in my console too. I watch the K&K videos and they look to sound very natural, exacly what I'm looking for :)

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
I think mine are K&K pure mini - the older ones had a different name:

K & K Sound - Pure Mini Pickup For Steel String

Mine don't need pre-amps at all although there's some situations where one might help.

I'm using a Traynor acoustic guitar amp which has a channel matched to the same impedance as the pickup. There's also two mic channels so you can stick a mic in front of the guitar at about 25% in a addition to the K&K PU if you feel like it - gives more acoustic guitar sound although the K&K itself is pretty good.

I have a RedEye pre-amp - real simple rig just a treble knob, boost button and volume for the boost. It also has balanced XLR out so so you can go through a board or standard guitar jack out for an amp. The preamp helps if you are going through and amp that doesn't match up well to the PU impedance.

Also, even though the amp I have is matched nevertheless the guitar sounds a little better with the pre-amp. But it does sound fine w/out it too.

K&K are more prone to Feedback than a magnetic sound hole deal and that is why you see people using them in loud stage environments.

Feedback is also kinda situational but I think for an acoustic band a K&K should be fine and you can always put a feedback buster in the soundhole.

At the jam 2 weeks ago I ended up plugging my acoustic K&K guitar into some kind of bigass combo amp which looked like might have had 2 twelves in it. It was way too loud but didn't feed back. Eventually we got it sort of dialed in and I was playing a K&K acoustic guitar through an electric guitar amp which worked well enough given the totally different ranges for acoustic and electric amps.

Half inch step drill for drilling out the end pin has worked fine for me on 4 installs of these pickups. If you do it yourself, follow their directions and install one pad at a time. Some people have mentioned building a larger jig than the one that comes with the kit so you can install all 3 pads at once to save time - that could also fuck up real good and what's the rush. Keep pressure on it longer than they say to when gluing the pad in. Wear a new set of latex gloves for each pad install. Small inspection mirror make sure there's no problems with fit like a brace in the way and also after to make sure the pad is in the right place. Put masking tape over the end pin hole when drilling so the finish doesn't splinter.

I don't really give too much of a rats about technical stuff like impedance and all so I might have got some of this wrong ...lol

·
Premium Member
12,184 Posts
Yes, I suppose "requires a pre-amp" is excessive. But it benefits from one, IMO.

I have the K&K in one guitar and a passive UTB pickup in another and both of them sound smoother and less brittle when plugged into an acoustic preamp (with a fairly high input Z). The level can also be a little low when plugged straight into a regular console strip or non-'acoustic' amp. The first two inputs on my Onyx board have Hi-Z input switches so I can monitor the difference and it is, while not huge, a pleasing change. Doing the same thing with my Tak with the active (low-Z) output, the change in tone is negligible.

·
Premium Member
11,061 Posts
I use K&K pickups in several guitars and ukuleles, plus Fishman Rare Earth soundhole pickups in 3 other guitars. They all make me happy, they sound great and are reasonably inexpensive, even the Fishman for what I get at the price I paid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts