The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I buy pickup covers for all three pickups on my faded white gibson sg special 3 pickup? Are all the covers the same (for bridge, neck, etc.)? Thanks :) im kinda a newb.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Can I buy pickup covers for all three pickups on my faded white gibson sg special 3 pickup? Are all the covers the same (for bridge, neck, etc.)? Thanks :) im kinda a newb.

Maybe. Are they single coil or humbuckers?

On Gibsons with humbuckers, sometimes the neck and bridge covers are different sizes. If you put up a picture or a link, we'll be able to tell you.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
You need 2 neck covers and one bridge cover.
http://www.gibson.com/Products/Accessories/Gear/Accessories/Replacement Parts/Pickup Covers/
If you don't want the Gibson parts, be careful. Not every company's pickup covers match. Even when they look the same. If you can bring the guitar in with you. It's easy, just put the cover over the polepieces to make sure the holes line up.

Also keep in mind that you will need to solder the covers to the base of the pickup to properly ground them. And seal the pickup to the case to keep it from feeding back. Some coat the pickup with a light wax, but I just carefully use a strip of electrical tape and it works perfect. If you are comfortable doing all that, let me know, and I will walk you through the process as best I can.

If you are new though, I'd recommend having the store do it. It shouldn't cost much if you are buying the covers there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts